News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF 1.1 RC2 to SMF 2 Final?

Started by SergeantAsh, January 31, 2009, 03:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SergeantAsh

I've got a big board out there with 9,000 members and approaching 300,000 posts (ok, not massive...but fairly big!) - I know its not good using a RC for a live board but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Anyway...I want to upgrade it to ease the load on the server as I assume SMF v2 is more efficient, am I in for a mammoth amount of work migrating the forum to SMF v2 on its final release?

I'm not bothered about all the mods (about 20) as I can add those one by one, some can be scrapped infact...but is the data migration going to be fairly simple?

My plan would be to get the forum up and running on a test subdomain, import a sample database, get the board working as I hope - then put the old forum on maintenance mode whilst I take a final cut of the DB and migrate once again.

Appreciate your help, views and advice!
Quote"Moderation has been called a virtue to limit the ambition of great men, and to console undistinguished people for their want of fortune and their lack of merit."

Antechinus

Don't take this as 100% truth but my current understanding is that the main difference between RC and Final is going to be templates, along with whatever minor improvements can be made to other files to fix bugs. As far as I know database tables wont change much if at all, so I can't see that side of it being a problem.

Given that 1.1 RC2 is horrendously out of date for security patches I'd say you should certainly do something soon.

greyknight17

This will be a major upgrade and there will be databases changes from 1.1RC2 to SMF 2.0 (beta, RC or Final). If all goes well, there should be no problem upgrading it to SMF 2.0. It's basically automated for the most part...besides a few screens where you need to click once or twice if you have templates that SMF tries to convert to work with SMF 2.0.

Definitely test it out on a backup first to see how it works. I recommend removing all your mods first before diving into the upgrade. Although the modified files will be wiped out anyway, I just like to start it off as clean as possible ;)

Antechinus

Meh. I got mixed up due to lack of coffee. I meant that database changes between SMF 2 RC versions and Final would be minimal to non-existent, if he does the upgrade now and then wants to go to SMF 2 Final when it becomes available.

Other wise what greyknight said.

SergeantAsh

Sounds good guys - to be honest I'm using the standard templates anyway and I'm happy to replace them all, so if I literally just started with the data and nothing else from a 'file' point of view (oh, other than attachments and avatars), does it drag the lot across?

Will it also convert any columns created by mods that by reinstallin the mods, the old data is picked up?
Quote"Moderation has been called a virtue to limit the ambition of great men, and to console undistinguished people for their want of fortune and their lack of merit."

Antechinus

The standard upgrade script only deals with standard SMF files. It wont touch custom tables.
Some of them may work, but it depends on what changes have been made to the new version of the mod.

As for the rest it should be fine. Take a database backup first as a precaution then run the large upgrade pack.

SergeantAsh

Sounds good, and will it take my attachments folder (as it is in SMF 1.1RC2) as one large folder and split it into separate folders as my FTP client just dies when I try to view this folder at present!

Antechinus

Why do you need ftp? Just leave your attachments where they are. Back them up as well, but there shouldn't be any need to upload them again.

SergeantAsh

Cool, I just mean't FTP for means of interrogating the attachments on the server.

Advertisement: