News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

import members list

Started by hgoofy, February 17, 2009, 05:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgoofy

hello,
I would like to use SMF as forum for a sailing-club. All members are listed in a xxx.csv file with name, address, password, email .....
Is it possible to import this file to SMF into members-list? All this members should be included in a group, maybe called clubmembers.
I am shure, there is a solution, but I didn't find.
Thanks in advance

p41j

Quote from: hgoofy on February 17, 2009, 05:01:33 PM
hello,
I would like to use SMF as forum for a sailing-club. All members are listed in a xxx.csv file with name, address, password, email .....
Is it possible to import this file to SMF into members-list? All this members should be included in a group, maybe called clubmembers.
I am shure, there is a solution, but I didn't find.
Thanks in advance

Depends on what your are wanting, you can make differant member groups with bages or just titles.

hgoofy

Hello,
I think, you misunderstood me.
Lots of people asked similar questions in this forum.
In principle I know how to do the job to transfer a Excel or csv-file to SMF database:

In case one has a file with username; password; email:
1. make a hashcode from user,password with the hash.function from SMF
2. make a file with username;hash_passwd;hash_salt;email
3. with phpMaAdmin import this file to db members

Sounds easy, isn't it?

But, how can one do the hashing? I think one is needing a script with the hashing function of SMF.

With such a script the job can be really easy:
1. Have a file containing usename;passwd;email (maybe additional usergroups;permissins etc)
2. run the script
3. the script outputs a file containing a list of username;hash-passwd;hash_salt?;(+additional)
4. import this file to db members.
5. done

So many users were asking for such function, but no answer yet.
Best would be to have a mod "import csv to SMF members".

Thanks for any help.

ThorstenE

you don't need a password/salt hash. You can insert a clear-text password in the "passwd" column. SMF can read most encrypted and even clear-text passwords.

btw, howto insert users from a .csv based file:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=249447.msg1614126#msg1614126

jeffbat

I can't find a clear answer to this question either and followed the previous link.  I too have a csv file of my members username, email and passwords and simply want to import it into my forum so that I don't have to type out and register all of my members individually.  Can someone please provide me simple instructions to do this?  Thanks!

ThorstenE

can you attach a sample .csv please? something like

username, email, password
user1, [email protected], password1

when reading files the delimiter (in the above example a comma) and the data-rows are important.

hgoofy

Quote from: TE on February 19, 2009, 07:35:59 AM
you don't need a password/salt hash. You can insert a clear-text password in the "passwd" column. SMF can read most encrypted and even clear-text passwords.

Many thanks, this is the key I was looking for.

Advertisement: