News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

I need a little help

Started by LW, March 02, 2005, 01:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LW

OK, OK... I know yabbse isn't supported anymore and that I should upgrade to SMF... I have every intention of upgrading, but just haven't had time to do it. For the last month or so, I've been getting the following error on my yabbse forum...

Warning: Too many connections in /home/httpd/vhosts/(insertwebsitehere).com/httpdocs/forum/index.php on line 50

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /home/httpd/vhosts/(insertwebsitehere).com/httpdocs/forum/index.php on line 50
Too many connections

Any idea what's causing this? I'm on a dedicated server and I've been told that it's not wise to increase the MySQL connections. I was told there must be a line in the script that is opening connections but not closing them.

Is there a quick fix to this problem? My current solution is rebooting the server and I'm getting tired of doing that every couple days.

Thanks!!!!

Trekkie101

I would increase the connections if it isnt that high, I think the fact is, if its busy its opening more before it closes older ones, its essentially opening too fast and not closing fast enough, allowing more should let it work better, also a Dedicated server to you only wont suffer from giving it bigger limits i shouldnt think.

Anyoen disagree?

[Unknown]

Yeah, your max_connections is likely too low.

It's most likely set to 50 (the default) which means you can only have 50 people online at the same time.  We have it set to 500, here, but then this is a dedicated server.

You don't need to reboot the server, but if you have that sort of access you should be able to up the max connections, or at least flush everything.  Anyway, the query you want is something like the below:

SET GLOBAL max_connections = 256;

Anyway, I still suggest you look into upgrading to SMF.  You can do a side-by-side installation and conversion, and backups are always nice... it really doesn't take that long to upgrade ;).

-[Unknown]

LW

Quote from: [Unknown] on March 02, 2005, 05:23:24 PM
Yeah, your max_connections is likely too low.

It's most likely set to 50 (the default) which means you can only have 50 people online at the same time.  We have it set to 500, here, but then this is a dedicated server.

You don't need to reboot the server, but if you have that sort of access you should be able to up the max connections, or at least flush everything.  Anyway, the query you want is something like the below:

SET GLOBAL max_connections = 256;

Anyway, I still suggest you look into upgrading to SMF.  You can do a side-by-side installation and conversion, and backups are always nice... it really doesn't take that long to upgrade ;).

-[Unknown]

If I upgraded to SMF, would that solve the problem or would I still need to increase connections? My forum averages 1.5 million page views a month.

[Unknown]

Well, it depends.  Really, YaBB SE is slower than SMF for sure, so each page takes longer to load.

If every hit takes, let's say, 3 units of time, then it's easier for them to pile together.  SMF takes, let's say, 2 units (this is just as an example) - if this was/is the case, then it's more likely that you won't hit this error.

However, this is still a MySQL connection setting, and it can't be worked around.  It's meant for things like public servers, etc... it's load control.  SMF does indeed show a nicer error message when it happens, telling you to please try again, but that doesn't mean it can prevent it.

-[Unknown]

LW

Thanks... Are there any drawbacks to switching to SMF? For instance, when I converted YABB to YABBse, I had some issues with passwords not working for some users, a few users disappeared, a bunch of PMs were lost, etc. But the guts of the board (all the threads/messages) made it through for the most part without a problem.

Basically, is there a way to backup YABBse in case something happens in the conversion.

Trekkie101

Ive converted and many others have too and had no problems at all. If you do have trouble im only too sure the people here will be glad to help you upgrade. Its kinda there big goldn recomendation rule.

Advertisement: