News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF Arcade

Started by niko, October 01, 2004, 02:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rider

Quote from: mflintjer on October 03, 2005, 07:09:46 AM
hey, i can say that i have read SOME of this thread -- but still have NO IDEA on how to install the games.  I did as the one reply stated "upload files to your games folder" and NOE of them show up in the install section of the arcade acp...

what in the hell am i doing so wrong??  please help, as i would love to use this mod.  the mod itself installed without any hitches -- but can't get ANY games to show up AT ALL!!
If you loaded them to your games folder in your ftp then you should see them in your admin panel in your arcade settings/game installer.If you still have trouble pm me a link to your site and let me have a look at it.I'm at work right now but will be on later.

edi67

Quote from: ExistenZ on October 04, 2005, 02:57:46 PM
You declare a variable like so:

$name = "Andre";

That dollar sign. And the name of the variable. ALWAYS REMEMBER THE $!
Also, if you use a variable in a sentene, thingy, you must put the sentense in double qoutes. " " Unlike ' ' which some people do.

And the solution is ???
CrazyZone - My SMF Forum

From the difficult the hardening of the man you can see

ExistenZ

Well, have you tried to edit the file which is repeated over and over in the topic. I can't remember what it is, but there are a few file edits you must do before it will work correctly.

But I just started with PHP with a book weighing more than me....so...i am sorry. So, I don't know.
Regards,
Andre

edi67

ok not problem  ;D i solved all problems and add icons champion under signature  :D

as you can see in my forum
http://www.forumzone.net.ru/index.php
CrazyZone - My SMF Forum

From the difficult the hardening of the man you can see

johnm

/* Arcade thingy */
$arcade_champ = array();
$req = db_query("SELECT * FROM {$db_prefix}games_champ,{$db_prefix}games WHERE {$db_prefix}games_champ.game={$db_prefix}games.game LIMIT 0,{$modSettings['arcade_champions_in_post']}",__FILE__,__LINE__);
$i = 0;
while ($rivi = mysql_fetch_assoc($req))
{
$ext = array('gif','GIF','png','PNG','jpg','JPG',); // Extensions to look for

$context['arcade']['games'][$i]['thumbnail'] = ""; // No thumbnail for default

foreach($ext as $ex){
if(file_exists($modSettings['arcade_games_dir']."/".$rivi['game'].".".$ex)){
$context['arcade']['games'][$i]['thumbnail'] = $modSettings['arcade_games_url']."/".$rivi['game'].".".$ex;
break;
}
}
$i++;
}
loadLanguage('Arcade'); // We need strings from Arcade language file
$context['arcade']['champions'] = $arcade_champ;

johnm

Quote from: ExistenZ on October 04, 2005, 02:57:46 PM
You declare a variable like so:

$name = "Andre";

That dollar sign. And the name of the variable. ALWAYS REMEMBER THE $!
Also, if you use a variable in a sentene, thingy, you must put the sentense in double qoutes. " " Unlike ' ' which some people do.

not totaly true

to avoid undefined errors its best to use
if(isset($var)){
//its set now perfom a test on it!
}else{
//its not set so there no point testing the var
}

gconn77

Ok what file and where do I put this code?

Quote from: johnm on October 05, 2005, 05:12:57 AM
/* Arcade thingy */
$arcade_champ = array();
$req = db_query("SELECT * FROM {$db_prefix}games_champ,{$db_prefix}games WHERE {$db_prefix}games_champ.game={$db_prefix}games.game LIMIT 0,{$modSettings['arcade_champions_in_post']}",__FILE__,__LINE__);
$i = 0;
while ($rivi = mysql_fetch_assoc($req))
{
$ext = array('gif','GIF','png','PNG','jpg','JPG',); // Extensions to look for

$context['arcade']['games'][$i]['thumbnail'] = ""; // No thumbnail for default

foreach($ext as $ex){
if(file_exists($modSettings['arcade_games_dir']."/".$rivi['game'].".".$ex)){
$context['arcade']['games'][$i]['thumbnail'] = $modSettings['arcade_games_url']."/".$rivi['game'].".".$ex;
break;
}
}
$i++;
}
loadLanguage('Arcade'); // We need strings from Arcade language file
$context['arcade']['champions'] = $arcade_champ;

caNcer_b0y

k im not going to read through 104 pages to find if this has been answered.

i have noticed, that after version 1.2RP the permissions mean squat, maybe its just me but i have the arcade set so that on my forum you need to have at least 25 posts to gain access to the arcade.  i have checked the settings many times, and even tested it with a test account.  it allows everyone except guests to see and play in the arcade. whats the deal?  its rather annoying, as people login play the arcade and never post.  >:(
My Forum [nofollow]

tentronik

Hi,
did you checked the permissions (admin panel).
The arcade mod has its on permissions.

caNcer_b0y

Quote from: tentronik on October 05, 2005, 11:09:18 AM
Hi,

Like i said.  i have double checked all permissions.  and i cant find any that are not set right.  i think its a bug...
My Forum [nofollow]

tentronik

I goinna test the new version soon.
The old had

admin panel -> permissions -> choose group then alter the arcade permissions.

rider

Quote from: caNcer_b0y on October 05, 2005, 01:56:19 PM
Quote from: tentronik on October 05, 2005, 11:09:18 AM
Hi,

Like i said.  i have double checked all permissions.  and i cant find any that are not set right.  i think its a bug...

Hey bud.I just tried to figure it out and this is what I did.For a newbie I set the permissions to deny and then used my test account to see what happened.The result I got was you're not allowed to view the arcade.Try that and see if thats what you're after.rider

caNcer_b0y

Quote from: rider on October 05, 2005, 02:21:34 PM
Hey bud.I just tried to figure it out and this is what I did.For a newbie I set the permissions to deny and then used my test account to see what happened.The result I got was you're not allowed to view the arcade.Try that and see if thats what you're after.rider

Yeah seems like it IS a bug, becuase you shouldnt have to DENY, 'Disallow' (X) SHOULD work.  maybe thats somthing that niko should look into.  but thanks Rider.
My Forum [nofollow]

TwinsX2Dad

Quote from: caNcer_b0y on October 05, 2005, 11:03:32 AM

That is a demand made by two-bit, no-account children dying to act all high and mighty over those who need a little help.

So I don't blame you cb - I wouldn't look through all the pages either.

The complexity of SMF isn't great - it is pretty simple to find things - and the SMF Arcade was coded to the loosest possible standards. Just witness the high server & database load it requires. Asking the kiddies for an answer, only to get the infantile response of "IT'S BEEN POSTED BEFORE! SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND" is for the birds.

I did look through the 104 pages for an assortment of items. Fully half of the questions in this thread, no one had the brains to answer, nor the desire to help anyone find out. It reads like the trash found over on that S 'n' M Arcade forum. A bunch of 12 year olds, trying to figure out what t do with this testosterone thing.

My suggestion is to get rid of the arcade - in its place, one could run a dozen forums, using a cleanly written script.

gconn77

Quote from: Purple on October 06, 2005, 01:16:15 AM

That is a demand made by two-bit, no-account children dying to act all high and mighty over those who need a little help.

The complexity of SMF isn't great - it is pretty simple to find things - and the SMF Arcade was coded to the loosest possible standards. Just witness the high server & database load it requires. Asking the kiddies for an answer, only to get the infantile response of "IT'S BEEN POSTED BEFORE! SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND" is for the birds.

I did look through the 104 pages for an assortment of items. Fully half of the questions in this thread, no one had the brains to answer, nor the desire to help anyone find out. It reads like the trash found over on that S 'n' M Arcade forum. A bunch of 12 year olds, trying to figure out what t do with this testosterone thing.

My suggestion is to get rid of the arcade - in its place, one could run a dozen forums, using a cleanly written script.

I will comment more about this.

rider

Quote from: Purple on October 06, 2005, 01:16:15 AM

Well for starters I resent your comments.BTW this site and snmarcade all the ?'s have been answered.I'm not a coder  but I can make it work and have helped lots of people getting it to work.Up into recently you could get all the answers from the arcade site and at one point we had the modded phps you needed as well.I'm sure once all the changes are made at the arcade site their FAQ will be back to normal.I guess the bottom line is if you don't like the mod don't use it.PS I'm not 12 and I don't whine and snivel when things don't work

niko

Deny denies even if its allowed somewhere

If user has: Default, Newbie membergroups default has arcade rights you must deny then from newbie disallow doesnt work because allow overrides it... deny overrides allow... hopefully this helps
Websites: Madjoki || (2 links retracted by team, links out of date and taken over.)
Mods: SMF Arcade, Related topics, SMF Project Tools, Post History

WIP Mods: Bittorrent Tracker || SMF Wiki

Harro

I'm suddenly getting an error when I try to go to the arcade...
Fatal error: Only variables can be passed by reference in /home/users/members/hwbk/harro/public_html/forums/Sources/Arcade2.php on line 298
10 minutes ago it was working normally.
Was trying out the "tournament function" in the newest release.
When I tried to submit a score (when playing my second game), I got a blank page.
And now when I go to the arcade, I get that error.
Any idea what it can be?

TwinsX2Dad

Quote from: rider on October 06, 2005, 08:49:51 AMI guess the bottom line is if you don't like the mod don't use it.

Exactly - which is why I'd never use it for a board which sees more than 7 members. Far too resource intensive - partly because of sloppy code, but mainly because of the nature of a database fed script and the demand for games.

And yes, the questions get answered - at some point - but often after the problem has wrecked the person's board and seldom is the problem answered with courtesy. Instead, the answer is usually dripping with the arrogance of a snot-nosed kid who thinks they know everything.

The SMF related issues are generally answered here with courtesy, but not always promptly. The courtesy, kindness and intelligence all go out the window when dealing with the kiddies and their arcade.

Here's a newsflash - if they were intelligent, courteous and honest, they might figure out a way to afford a game console. Possibly mommy and daddy might spring for one if they raised nicer kids.

niko

Indeed code is not very good but its better than it was first
Websites: Madjoki || (2 links retracted by team, links out of date and taken over.)
Mods: SMF Arcade, Related topics, SMF Project Tools, Post History

WIP Mods: Bittorrent Tracker || SMF Wiki

Advertisement: