News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF Arcade

Started by niko, October 01, 2004, 02:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rider

Quote from: Purple on October 06, 2005, 11:20:30 AM
Quote from: rider on October 06, 2005, 08:49:51 AMI guess the bottom line is if you don't like the mod don't use it.

Exactly - which is why I'd never use it for a board which sees more than 7 members. Far too resource intensive - partly because of sloppy code, but mainly because of the nature of a database fed script and the demand for games.

And yes, the questions get answered - at some point - but often after the problem has wrecked the person's board and seldom is the problem answered with courtesy. Instead, the answer is usually dripping with the arrogance of a snot-nosed kid who thinks they know everything.

The SMF related issues are generally answered here with courtesy, but not always promptly. The courtesy, kindness and intelligence all go out the window when dealing with the kiddies and their arcade.

Here's a newsflash - if they were intelligent, courteous and honest, they might figure out a way to afford a game console. Possibly mommy and daddy might spring for one if they raised nicer kids.

Please so me these so called rude answers.I've never been rude when someone has trouble.To me you're just someone trying to stir the pot.As for this mod screwing up peoples forums that only happens when someone doesn't listen to the advice giving to them.As for the rude answers bud I'm willing to bet it was from people that don't do the support for the arcade.

ExistenZ

I ahve never seen people who complain as much.

I don't care about the silly code...not that the code is silly, mind you. It works fine on my website and a LOT of people play the games and I have like every game on snmgames on my site.
Regards,
Andre

TwinsX2Dad

Quote from: Niko on October 06, 2005, 01:49:07 PM
Indeed code is not very good but its better than it was first

That it is, Niko - kudos for that.

Here are the problems in getting an arcade working correctly - you've done a good job, but have limitations....

A) An arcade is hard on a server to start with. There are so many bits of information being passed back and forth, it is a nightmare.

B) Your resources are limited. Take a look at the staffs of entities like Jelsoft, Infopop, Invision and even Lewis Media. You will find that there isn't one coder, but many. There are many more who are checking and rechecking the alpha code. Then they put out the code to those willing to try beta release software. Then they may have an additional level, or a release candidate, before the official release is published.

From what I understand, you are doing it all on your own and the users of this forum software are the alpha & beta testers. The Arcade is never truly 'release' quality, since you are doing the work all on your own. You don't have the time to get all the bugs worked out, much less optimize the code, before the next revision of the forum script is released and then it starts all over again for you.

To make matters worse, there are bottom feeders, like the kiddies over at the Sadism & Masochism Arcade board, rendering awful support and offering cheesy excuses to go with their extreme arrogance and misplaced sense of self-importance. It makes you look bad, especially with their sudden alliance with MKPortal (another under-supported and poorly written script) and their continued badmouthing of SMF and the SMF community.

Is SMF perfect? No, but neither was YaBB and neither is vB. Invision has some issues and...... well, the list could go on and on. SMF has a way to go to compete with the better written offerings, but those offerings cost $$$.

My suggestion for you, Niko, is to continue the work you're doing, but to retain more control over the support and who is offering it. Some of the few who are doing it now are in some real need of serious attitude adjustments - I wouldn't trust them to sweep my garage, much less give me support on php issues.

This isn't directed at everyone, mind you - just those who have that attitude of 'you idiot, can't you use search? The answer was covered in one of these 105 pages!'

rider

Also people who use a diff theme other than default will have problems until they mod the right phps,but the same goes for all the other add-ons as well.Niko is working all the bugs out but like everything else it takes time.

niko

Quote from: Purple on October 06, 2005, 03:50:07 PM
Quote from: Niko on October 06, 2005, 01:49:07 PM
Indeed code is not very good but its better than it was first

That it is, Niko - kudos for that.

Here are the problems in getting an arcade working correctly - you've done a good job, but have limitations....

A) An arcade is hard on a server to start with. There are so many bits of information being passed back and forth, it is a nightmare.

B) Your resources are limited. Take a look at the staffs of entities like Jelsoft, Infopop, Invision and even Lewis Media. You will find that there isn't one coder, but many. There are many more who are checking and rechecking the alpha code. Then they put out the code to those willing to try beta release software. Then they may have an additional level, or a release candidate, before the official release is published.

From what I understand, you are doing it all on your own and the users of this forum software are the alpha & beta testers. The Arcade is never truly 'release' quality, since you are doing the work all on your own. You don't have the time to get all the bugs worked out, much less optimize the code, before the next revision of the forum script is released and then it starts all over again for you.

To make matters worse, there are bottom feeders, like the kiddies over at the Sadism & Masochism Arcade board, rendering awful support and offering cheesy excuses to go with their extreme arrogance and misplaced sense of self-importance. It makes you look bad, especially with their sudden alliance with MKPortal (another under-supported and poorly written script) and their continued badmouthing of SMF and the SMF community.

Is SMF perfect? No, but neither was YaBB and neither is vB. Invision has some issues and...... well, the list could go on and on. SMF has a way to go to compete with the better written offerings, but those offerings cost $$$.

My suggestion for you, Niko, is to continue the work you're doing, but to retain more control over the support and who is offering it. Some of the few who are doing it now are in some real need of serious attitude adjustments - I wouldn't trust them to sweep my garage, much less give me support on php issues.

This isn't directed at everyone, mind you - just those who have that attitude of 'you idiot, can't you use search? The answer was covered in one of these 105 pages!'

A) Feel telling more spefically parts that are specially 'nightmares'?
Tournaments & Challanges are the most... and will be totally recoded some time (and merged)
Loading position dynamically for scores from database too... i think queries can be recuded by X * 2 wheres X = Number of games per page (Default 20: so 20 * 2 = 40) if not more

B) The mod's are different from forum software, but i'm ready to take more coders if theres some one who can read my code (worst parts) and use subversion... Anyone could test code theres guide at smf 'n mkp games and subversion server is at http://scm.madjoki.com ( scm.madjoki.com:3690 no username/password needed )
Websites: Madjoki || (2 links retracted by team, links out of date and taken over.)
Mods: SMF Arcade, Related topics, SMF Project Tools, Post History

WIP Mods: Bittorrent Tracker || SMF Wiki

Lisah746

Hate to break up the love fest!  ;D

Are there any plans to update the arcade to work with 1.1 RC1 any time soon?

Thanks,
Lisa

niko

Next version will work with 1.1 RC1
Websites: Madjoki || (2 links retracted by team, links out of date and taken over.)

Uzbekistan

Hmm. It is working for me now! :)

Lisah746

Quote from: Niko on October 07, 2005, 08:20:37 AM

Any time frame on that?

Thanks

rider

Quote from: Uzbek on October 07, 2005, 08:25:33 AM

Did you have any trouble getting it to run and is it possible to help lisa if she has any ?'s.I'm still running 1.05 so I have no idea what the issue are or will be.maybe your answers can help other.Thanks rider

niko

Quote from: Lisah746 on October 07, 2005, 08:37:44 AM
Quote from: Niko on October 07, 2005, 08:20:37 AM

Any time frame on that?

Thanks

"This year"... hopefully

Lisah746

Quote from: rider on October 07, 2005, 08:48:14 AM

Did you have any trouble getting it to run and is it possible to help lisa if she has any ?'s.I'm still running 1.05 so I have no idea what the issue are or will be.maybe your answers can help other.Thanks rider

Well the first issue I can't get around is when you click on the games link it just re-directs you to the main index page. That goes for clicking on the arcade admin as well.

Joseph

Locking this thread before cleaning it up. It will be unlocked later today.
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite
Co-Founder TribeHR, Lewis Media, SMF

Joseph

I just spent some time cleaning out an interesting thread of flamebait here. Keep in mind people, that there are a few things you agreed to when you joined this board.

QuoteYou agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is ..., abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, ..., or otherwise in violation of any International, Canadian, or United States Federal law.

A lot of the statemnts and insults thrown around in this topic were very insulting and very abusive. This is not the place for it.

Objective debate and discussion is encouraged, but telling someone they're an idiot, an ass, or have no intelligence because have a certain perspective is not only unconstructive, but completely innaporopriate and unacceptable.
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite
Co-Founder TribeHR, Lewis Media, SMF

Uzbekistan

Quote from: Lisah746 on October 07, 2005, 09:19:14 AM
Well the first issue I can't get around is when you click on the games link it just re-directs you to the main index page. That goes for clicking on the arcade admin as well.

How did you install it - using "Package manager" or manually? As far as i know package manager does not support it. I installed it manually - everything seems to be fine (apart from lots of error coming in error log, especially hate one about defintion of "game" in display.php.

rider

Quote from: Lisah746 on October 07, 2005, 09:19:14 AM

When you are in your admin panel and in the arcade admin did you enable the arcade?

Lisah746

I was using smf 1.1 beta 3 public. I had the arcade working fine with that release. I removed all mods and upgraded to 1.1RC1 and when I put the games back it's not working. I did use the package installer and the tests went through successfully. I made sure to enable the arcade in the admin panel.

rider

OK Did you try and run the arcade_sql.php more than once?

Lisah746

Quote from: rider on October 07, 2005, 12:14:54 PM

No, should I try running it more than once?

rider

Quote from: Lisah746 on October 07, 2005, 12:25:17 PM
Quote from: rider on October 07, 2005, 12:14:54 PM

No, should I try running it more than once?

It won't hurt anything if you do.Hopefully someone will be able to add a little more insight to this.

Advertisement: