News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Strange Theme directory error message?

Started by Great Gig, June 26, 2009, 06:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great Gig

I am getting the below error message in my Themes Admin area, but despite the warning I have just installed a new Theme, which is working fine. Anyone know how to clear this message or why it's there?

QuoteWarning - you cannot create or install a new theme as your themes directory is not currently writable!

JBlaze

Make sure your /Themes/ directory is CHMOD to 755.

How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

Also, what forum version are you using?
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Great Gig

Quote from: JBlaze on June 26, 2009, 06:35:34 PM
Make sure your /Themes/ directory is CHMOD to 755.

How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

Also, what forum version are you using?

I am using 2.0 RC1-1 and have just completed an upgrade, that's when the error message occurred. I will check the above advice and see if I can clear it?

Great Gig

OK, I am not sure if I am doing this right ( :-[ I'm new!), but I went to my FTP client and right clicked the Themes directory and an option there was CHMOD - it's set to 755. I set it again, but the error message is still there?

EDIT: Ok I just changed the CHMOD to 777 and the error has gone, is it OK to leave it set to 777?

Thanks

Norv

That question might lead to a holy war.
You might want to check out Why chmod 777 is NOT a security risk.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Great Gig

Quote from: Norv on June 26, 2009, 07:36:14 PM
That question might lead to a holy war.

Trust a newbie to say the wrong thing  :o

Arantor

Since the topic's original question has been solved, I'm marking the topic as such.

Advertisement: