News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Allow Reporting To Moderator of Own Posts

Started by Thantos, April 11, 2005, 03:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thantos

Link to Mod

This mod removes the check to see if you are reporting to moderator your own post

dtm.exe

Just curious, why would you want to report your own post to board moderators?

-Dan The Man

Midgard

Thantos

Quote from: OIDanTheManIO on April 14, 2005, 09:28:56 AM
Just curious, why would you want to report your own post to board moderators?

-Dan The Man
The same reason you would report anyone else's posts.  I've had it happen where I said something and was unable to edit or delete it.
Quote from: Midgard on April 14, 2005, 09:39:05 AM
Unnecessary, and so simple.
Huh?

[Unknown]

Hmm, alright, what if... in the distribution by default, you were only given an error message for reporting your own posts IF you can modify your own/all posts?

Would that make it pretty clean?

Edit: you see, there really is a reason this was added.  It wasn't an easter egg or anything, it was added because people would report their own posts to get people to read them.  I, personally, am annoyed by such behavior.... and it is very preventable.

-[Unknown]

Thantos

That would work unknown.

I find the inability to report my own posts annoying as a user.

As far as the people who mis use the option, well there is always the possibility of denying them that permission.

Miraenda

Have people actually done that (reported their own posts to get someone to read them)? Frankly, I can't imagine why someone would do that as it would just be 1 person who reads the report to moderator (I assume it is just the forum moderator getting the report) and then that moderator would likely either PM the individual to find out why the heck they reported their post or delete the post thinking that is what the person wanted.

Most threads on this forum are read and responded to (I rarely see any threads without at least 1 reply to it).  Seems to make no sense to report a post just to get attention.  Instead put the thread title in CAPS with bunches of exclamantion points.  That will get attention, albeit perhaps not the kind of attention most people would want.

I think this is a good mod Mike and useful.  I didn't realize we couldn't report our own posts until seeing this mod and I can see uses for it when we aren't able to delete a thread that we no longer want available because we solve the issue or whatever.

Elijah Bliss

Quote from: [Unknown] on April 14, 2005, 10:09:57 AM
Edit: you see, there really is a reason this was added.  It wasn't an easter egg or anything, it was added because people would report their own posts to get people to read them.  I, personally, am annoyed by such behavior.... and it is very preventable.

-[Unknown]

That's news to me, I've never had on of my members pull that stunt.

[Unknown]

People did it all the time here.

All administrators and all global moderators and any moderators of that board get the email.  That's a lot of people.

-[Unknown]

Miraenda

Ah well, they just felt lonely and unloved I guess. Maybe SMF should add a forum category "Smiley the SMF bot" where a bot replies to their posts by saying "We love you" as a response to the person?

Also, if anyone thinks I'm being serious above, I apologize.

Thantos

Is your purposed change going to make it into 1.1 Unknown?

[Unknown]

You could find out if you'd look around a bit harder...

* [Unknown] whistles.

-[Unknown]

Thantos

Well I tested it out with the beta and it didn't work :)

Edit:  Nevermind, found exactly what you mean.

So of course this mod is dead now which is fine with me :)

dvk01

I have that mod because I use the forums for PC help & virus prevention/removal and lots of newbies do post in wrong section & to save duplicates and problems with that report it so I or one of the other admins or mods can move  the post to the nappropriate section

Advertisement: