News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

htaccess rewriting for %253f , %253d ?

Started by kai920, August 11, 2009, 11:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kai920

In my 404 log (using Apache Handler mod), I see a bunch of requests for URLs with "%253f" and "%253d" in them... I assume these represent "?" and "=" respectively:

/forums/index.php%253ftopic%253d1435.0
/forums/index.php%253ftopic%253d358.msg2075
/forums/index.php%253ftopic%253d376.0

When I track the IP address, they always seem to come from Websense, Inc.

I don't think this would be a malicious bot (correct me if wrong)... but how do I rewrite them in htaccess? I tried this but it doesn't match:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/forums/index.php\%253ftopic\%253d1435.0$
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.mysite.com/forums/index.php?topic=1435.0 [R=301,L]

Arantor

They do but only indirectly. Somewhere along the line things have gotten mushed.

Did you turn RewriteEngine On in said .htaccess file, and also, where is it?

kai920

Yep, RewriteEngine is on.

I have 2 htaccess files, one in the root www, and one in /forums. The one in forums has been redirecting other /forums URLs correctly so I'm thinking something is not matching in the RewriteRule?

Arantor

Is the rule above in the top level (www) file, or in /forums ?

kai920

In /forums I believe. Let me check. (Yep, just checked. It's in /forums)

Arantor

And is there a RewriteBase in operation? I've found before that having ^/ whilst in a subdirectory has caused me problems with RewriteBase but it's been so long since I've done it I'd have to crack open the archives to find it.

kai920

No I don't have RewriteBase... should I add in

RewriteBase /forums

?

Arantor

No, leave it as is.

If you're in the forums directory, prune the rule to remove the /forum/ bit, just refer to the path relative to that directory.

kai920

Still didn't work .. also remembered to escape the .

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^index\.php\%253ftopic\%253d1435\.0$

PS. what exactly is "%253f" .. is it UTF8 encoding?

Arantor

No, it's URL encoding gone bad. %25 = %, so it would resolve to %3f which is URL encoded ?

kai920

You're right, when I hover over the URL it says %3ftopic%3d1435.0

Arantor

kai920

No, I see that URL "in" SMF once the Apache Handler mod picks it up in the 404 message.

In the error logs it just shows this without the URL linked..

Error 404 - Not Found (http://site.com/forums/index.php%253ftopic%253d1435.0)

Arantor

Weird. So when browsing your forum normally, if you look in the HTML source in the browser you don't see mangled links like that?

Oh and for the RewriteRule, take off the ^ at the start of the rule when you're on a per directory basis.

kai920

Nope, normally I don't see any links with these %253f and %253d.

I've only seen it in the Error Log after installing the Apache Error Handler mod.

Arantor

kai920

Arantor

It would be interesting to find out where these are actually coming from. Is it a search engine that is hitting these links?

Advertisement: