Installing Mods On Third Party Theme

Started by BarfBag, August 23, 2009, 06:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarfBag

Hi guys,

I'm trying to install a mod on a third party theme.  But, some of the things it tells me to find in the parser aren't in the files.  What do I do in this situation?  It's been happening with almost every mod I try to install like this.  I can give specifics about my theme and which mod I'm trying to install if it's necessary, but this is more of a general question.

Norv

It may be better to tell, as example, what files are not found.

However, I assume you mean that the instructions for the mod tell a template file in the ./Themes/default folder, and, in order to install on your theme, you want to find the template file with the same name in ./Themes/{your_theme} folder. In case such file does not exist, SMF will use the file in the ./Themes/default, even for your theme. So as long as the mod is installed on the default theme and you modify the files the instructions point to, from your theme folder, you do have the mod properly installed on your custom theme.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

BarfBag

Quote from: Norv on August 23, 2009, 06:27:13 PM
It may be better to tell, as example, what files are not found.

However, I assume you mean that the instructions for the mod tell a template file in the ./Themes/default folder, and, in order to install on your theme, you want to find the template file with the same name in ./Themes/{your_theme} folder. In case such file does not exist, SMF will use the file in the ./Themes/default, even for your theme. So as long as the mod is installed on the default theme and you modify the files the instructions point to, from your theme folder, you do have the mod properly installed on your custom theme.

Thanks for the reply!

It's not specific files that are missing (although, thanks for telling me about that in case it comes up).  It's certain lines in those files it tells me to find that are missing.  This has been across multiple mods.

BarfBag

Just checked themes.  It's across multible themes as well.  Some of the "finds" just aren't in the files.

Windy

That's something that you'll encounter quite often as third party themes are generally structured differently to the default and as searches generally include some theme markup they won't cross over specifically.  So what you should do instead of searching for the whole string just search for the variables included and then modify what gets added so it'll fit in with the theme.
All unsolicited PM's will be ignored.  Any support requests should go in their topics.

My Mods

Image Zoom Tag
Image Quote Removal
Color Picker
Additional Polls
Simple Awards System

Mods are only updated to the latest same major version of smf on request.

mandukar

It could be that because the code is being put into the default folder you might have to manully add the code to the other themes, I have to do this alot with my theme.

You can get help from the designer of the mod for the code part.

Advertisement: