News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Xoops & SMF Integration

Started by Tseran, September 28, 2009, 02:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tseran

Okay, I have a strange situation.  I have an SMF board (Currently running 1.1.6) and I just installed a Xoops front end (running 2.3.1) and am using the bridge.  The thing is, I have a large database of users and I don't want to have them re-register just for the Xoops end.  Is there a way for it to use the SMF users, or vice versa?  I would prefer if someone just registered once, and didn't have to do it again.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone is familiar with Xoops, I want to add a couple items to the main menu that just go off to static URLs and that is driving me batty trying to figure it out.

Orstio

Go to your SMF admin panel, and change the cookie name.  This will force all your users to be logged out.

When they login to the bridged forum, they will automagically appear in Xoops as well.

Tseran

Okay, I changed it so Xoops and SMF both use the same cookie name (I was trying at first using the SMF cookies name, and then I tried the xoops cookie name) and when I do, it will log out one when I log in the other.

Does this allow them to share the users of one database?

Does it give the Xoops database all the users of the SMF one?

H

I believe Xoops and SMF need different cookie names from each other. I believe Orstio just suggested changing the SMF cookie name to something random so that users have to login again
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Tseran

Quote from: H on September 28, 2009, 01:34:12 PM
I believe Xoops and SMF need different cookie names from each other. I believe Orstio just suggested changing the SMF cookie name to something random so that users have to login again

Okay, I tried again, making them different, forcing a logout, and then re-logging in, as was suggested, to the bridged SMF.  Nothing changed, it wasn't added to Xoops, and it wasn't logged in on the Xoops side.

Orstio

H is correct in regards to cookie names.

Can I see a URL?

Tseran

Its the website for my WoW guild.  Piscus Inferno [nofollow]

At the moment I have both a static link to the forums and the (Do not use) link that is the bridge.

Orstio

OK, so to recap what's happening:

You have a user who exists only in SMF.

That user is loged out, and accesses the bridged forum.

That user proceeds to login to the bridged forum.

The user is logged into the forum, but not migratd to Xoops and not logged into Xoops.

Is that about right?

Orstio

OK, I registered and logged in to confirm.

Even registration is not placing the user in Xoops.

What did you use as the path to SMF in your bridge config?

Does your SMF database user have access to your Xoops database?

Tseran

Quote from: Orstio on September 28, 2009, 07:06:51 PM
OK, I registered and logged in to confirm.

Even registration is not placing the user in Xoops.

What did you use as the path to SMF in your bridge config?

Does your SMF database user have access to your Xoops database?

Ahhh.....the database access might be the problem...lemme check that.  Okay, I gave the SMF user access to the Xoops database.  I used the absolute path on the server to the forum itself, was that wrong?

Orstio

Often people use the URL instead of the path, which results in this sort of thing if allow_url_fopen is turned on in PHP.

My next question is:  Does your Xoops database user have access to your SMF database?

Tseran

Often people use the URL instead of the path, which results in this sort of thing if allow_url_fopen is turned on in PHP.

Yeah, I used to make that mistake all the time.

My next question is:  Does your Xoops database user have access to your SMF database?

Yup, just added it, and I think it worked.  Just getting a few people to test, and gonna test with a new user myself.

Orstio

The logout seems to work in both for me, but I can't say the same for login. :(

Tseran

Quote from: Orstio on September 28, 2009, 07:54:35 PM
The logout seems to work in both for me, but I can't say the same for login. :(

It is automagically adding the users to the Xoops database now, thank goodness.  Any help fixing the login would be appreciated.

Also if you can figure out why the background color isn't staying the brown all over, it would be appreciated too :)

Tseran

Also, something else, I have a gallery in SMF (It has grown quite a bit, and the idea of moving it to Xoops IS BAD) and I would like to have a link in the Xoops main menu bring up the forum gallery.  Any idea on that?

Orstio

What is the setting in Xoops for "Use custom session"?

Tseran

Quote from: Orstio on September 28, 2009, 08:16:57 PM
What is the setting in Xoops for "Use custom session"?

It is set as no, should it be set to yes?

Orstio

It's usually best to turn it on for integration, yes.

Tseran

Quote from: Orstio on September 28, 2009, 08:24:23 PM
It's usually best to turn it on for integration, yes.

Okay, turned it on, still doesn't seem to be having it so when one logs in, both do.

Orstio

Is there anything in your SMF error log?

Advertisement: