Changing URL file paths

Started by king kratos, October 05, 2009, 09:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king kratos

I need to change the file path to my forum. It is currently /smfforum and I need to change it to /forum. I know that I need to change the folder on the server, the file paths in the admin panel, and possibly run repair_settings.php.

Is there anything I need to know before I attempt this? Has anyone tried to change file paths and ran into problems with SMF 2.0 RC1.2? If so, what happened and how did you fix it?

Thanks,

Kratos

Night09

Just run repair settings and update them all to the new one and it should be ok.Ive changed a few forums folders before like this so test stuff can be moved and kept functioning.

Link to repair settings: http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=469

king kratos

Thanks, just wanted to be sure before I went and mucked everything up (LOL). I'll post back with an update as to whether this worked properly or not.

Kratos

king kratos

Update:

Everything went (almost) flawlessly. I have an IronKey and had it unlocked when I made the changes in Admin Panel. It auto filled the MySQL database password with my forum password and kinda screwed everything up. It basically broke the MySQL connection. However, with repair_setting.php, I was able to change the password back to what it is and then change all of the forum directories.

Thanks for verifying that that was all I need to do.

Kratos

Night09

king kratos

Funny thing, I forgot to change the redirectexit() for my custom forms mod (hand edited with this) and thought I broke the mod when it gave a "address not found" error upon submission of a form! I almost uninstalled the custom form mod (thus deleting the database info) in order to reinstall it and try to fix the issue. I'm glad I checked over the code first!!!!!

P.S. Lesson learned, when experiencing issues, look over code before uninstalling and losing lots of data!

Kratos

Advertisement: