"Curve" badly

Started by zetatalk, October 06, 2009, 07:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbsothere

I'm glad I kept reading this thread because somewhere around page three, it actually got interesting. 

JK   :D

But looking at Antechinus' "nested quotes" work on the third page makes me want to ask (and it becomes clear that I've not installed RC2, yet):  does this upgrade give us the ability to select a specific amount of quotes we will allow to be nested, or is it still as it is on 1.1.10 (one or a million)?  My posters muddy up the place with their perpetual quoting marathon but get upset if I restrict them to quoting only one person.  Can we choose a number, or will this require a mod?

(If I shouldn't have asked here, flog me gently and show me the door; I'm an old man.)   :)                             
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

Antechinus

If you look at the codes in the topic Arantor linked to you'll see that the one for rounded quotes includes a restriction on how many nested quotes display. This is a visual-only fix using display: none; and is the quickest and easiest way of getting threads cleaned up. The only catch is that all the quotes ad infinitum are still linked up in the database and are visible in the reply box, which can make things confusing when replying (if people want to split quotes) and also means the db loads are just as high as ever.

I would like to include source code that strips out all nested quotes past the limit but according to the devs this is not easy to do. If there is any way of doing it without bugs that would definitely be the best solution. Of course the other solution is to tell offending members to stop being so rude and lazy and to strip the crap out of their posts. It really is not hard to do.

Advertisement: