News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Previous & Next Link Enhancements

Started by shadow82x, October 13, 2009, 05:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow82x

Link to Mod

Previous & Next Enhancement
This will small modification that will enhance the look of the <<previous and next>> area on the topic index. A link is also added to go to that specific forum.

Compatible with: SMF 1.1.10 > SMF2.0 RC2

Screenshots can be found on the mod page

Support & Comments
If you have a problem with this mod, want to comment, or have any question, please post to the modification support topic and I will reply as soon as possible. Please do not PM for support, it will be ignored.
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Sirius OCTeam

Hi, great one !

but it could be greater to have it also as utf-8

shadow82x

Good point. Ill try and add a check for index.english-utf8 in the next update. :)

For now you can manually edit the language file.
Colin B

darrenbeige

That's really quite nice. I've always thought the prev/next buttons look a bit shabby, and they stand like a sore thumb on the new default theme (the one on this forum - Curve is it?). On another note, does anyone actually USE the prev/next buttons?

meehan09

Installed and looks much better  Shadow82x.

would it be possible to have the text next and prev after the forum title has a image?

Just to make it stand out more maybe?, Thanks

Paul

shadow82x

Quote from: darrenbeige on October 15, 2009, 01:39:46 AM
That's really quite nice. I've always thought the prev/next buttons look a bit shabby, and they stand like a sore thumb on the new default theme (the one on this forum - Curve is it?). On another note, does anyone actually USE the prev/next buttons?
Honestly, I have only used them a few times. I agree they are not very noticeable. With adding a link to the forum name,  I believe it will make this area a bit more useful. That's something id actually click if i wanted to go back to the forum.

Quote from: meehan09 on October 16, 2009, 05:44:06 AM
Installed and looks much better  Shadow82x.

would it be possible to have the text next and prev after the forum title has a image?

Just to make it stand out more maybe?, Thanks

Paul
Yes its possible, maybe a good idea for a future version. I was trying to keep out of template edits though. Thats when a ton of people start spamming for support. :(
Colin B

nitkayni

MegaByte

Can you use something other than those particular vertical pipes for dividers?  When using UTF-8 output, they show up as unknown <?> characters.

gourav

This is a very nice mod and its working fine on RC3 also but it could be better if we get name of the next and Previuos topic instead the next previous text ( like in wordpress blogs ) Thanks for the mod :) cheers

shadow82x

Quote from: MegaByte on April 16, 2010, 03:34:34 PM
Can you use something other than those particular vertical pipes for dividers?  When using UTF-8 output, they show up as unknown <?> characters.
Sorry for the late reply. The mod doesn't do code changes for utf-8 language files. Take a look at whats changed in index.english here - http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=parse;mod=2197;attach=118922;smf_version=2.0_RC2 You should be able to apply the same in your utf8 files.

Quote from: gourav on June 24, 2010, 03:24:11 PM
This is a very nice mod and its working fine on RC3 also but it could be better if we get name of the next and Previuos topic instead the next previous text ( like in wordpress blogs ) Thanks for the mod :) cheers
Not a bad idea. Maybe I'll look into it for a future release.
Colin B

MiY4Gi

Quote from: gourav on June 24, 2010, 03:24:11 PM

Any news on this?
Check out my new website, MyAnimeClub.net. I plan to create the largest anime community, and most fun and user-friendly anime forum in the world. It's still in the development stage though.

MiY4Gi

This is a nice little mod. I just installed it on 2.0 Gold and it's working great.

I chose to place an extra break just after the Links, since it was sitting too close to the post administration buttons at the bottom, and I also removed the Previous Next Links from the top of the page. I think the links are more useful at the bottom of the page since people would want to navigate away only AFTER reading a thread, not BEFORE. Also, the links looked very clunky at the top of the page.

For anyone who uses SMF 2.0 Gold and wants to remove the Previous Next Links from the top of the page and only display it at the bottom, open /theme/default/display.template.php, then find and remove the following code:

$context['previous_next'] = $modSettings['enablePreviousNext']
Check out my new website, MyAnimeClub.net. I plan to create the largest anime community, and most fun and user-friendly anime forum in the world. It's still in the development stage though.

Advertisement: