News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[TIP GUIDE] Setting up a gmail account on SMF

Started by Night09, October 19, 2009, 09:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcberm

I am getting similar connection timeout errors while trying to get this configured.  I know that my host has setup openSSL, as I submitted a ticket with them for that already and received notification it was complete.  Should my next step be to check that the host isn't blocking my ability to send SMTP mail via php?  Is there anything else I could/should check first?  I have attempted all of the variations (with and without the ssl://, as googlemail vs. gmail, username vs. full email address, etc).  I realize no one will probably have the magic answer here, but some logical progression of steps I can take to troubleshoot this would be helpful.  Thanks everyone, in advance!

Update:  I just checked with the provider, and they show a few tests where they have SMTP working on my server/domain.  They've suggested I check my code.  Kind of a newbie at this stuff.  I know just enough to be dangerous and sometimes enough to be productive in a slow and painful way. :)
Marc Berman

Administrator,
Rage Across the Cape
www.rageacrossthecape.com

Kevin1

Same problem.

Could not connect to SMTP host: 110 : Connection timed out
smtp.gmail.com:465 (Connection timed out)
Get free Gprs tricks for all telecom operators here.
http://teknotech.in

Night09

SMTP server: ssl://smtp.gmail.com

SMTP port: 465

Sites running this config and sends ok.

Kevin1

Get free Gprs tricks for all telecom operators here.
http://teknotech.in

Tomy Tran

I find out may be this problem:
GAPPs allow us sending 500 mails per day, means 20.8333 mails per hour, means 0.34722 mail per minute.

But go to Maintenance >> Mail >> Settings at this address:
http://forum.vnweb.org/index.php?action=admin;area=mailqueue;sa=settings

we have this option:
Maximum emails to send per minute, if we set to minimum is 1 (we cant set it to 0.34 or under 01), we will send a minimum 1*60*24 = 1440 mails per day. It's over the Limit of GAPPs 940 mails (= 1440 - 500).

Any one can code the SMF to allow we set Maximum emails to send per hour ?

Night09

The only thing i can suggest is break up your total and use the mail queue and send 500 per day from the queue. Not sure the best way of doing this but maybe someone can edit the template so instead of minutes change to max mails per hour or day. This may have been addressed in the mods or coding boards but you may need to have a good search.

The only other option is to sub to GAPP's for a higher quota.

Tomy Tran

For some limits of some host, it'd prefer to know how to change to Maximum emails to send per hour or to Maximum emails to send per day

stylusss

For top-notch server quality and expertise, visit CoreISP.net

Aaruni

Tyler Style

Unfortunately, I can't get this working either.  It's on a self-hosted Ubuntu box, using Apache2.  Openssl is enabled, and phpinfo reports it active, so that's not it.  I'm not seeing any error messages, either.  The Google Apps account is set up to accept POP.  Any troubleshooting tips?

Note: the screencap shows "(PHP default)" - it's not, it's SMTP.

Night09

Check your router / firewall ect that the port is open and not blocked. You might have to open one to get it working.

Tyler Style

Quote from: nightbre on September 28, 2012, 03:44:45 PM
Check your router / firewall ect that the port is open and not blocked. You might have to open one to get it working.
It's in the DMZ, so that's not it.  Also, other apps are integrating with Google Apps just fine.

Night09

Try changing     

ssl://smtp.googlemail.com   

to     

ssl://smtp.gmail.com

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

I can't get this working at all. I have edited my php.ini to enable openssl and try both instances of ssl://smtp.googlemail.com and ssl://smtp.gmail.com, with and without ssl, and all ports from 25, 465 and 587. I even try to increase the time from 3 seconds to 60 and 300 seconds but still failed. Is there anything else we need to do in our gmail settings other than enabling pop and disabling imap?

Night09

Have you set an alternative username and password in Admin settings for using ssl ? Mines on the default settings but wondering if anyone has changed this and maybe caused an issue using it as a secondary database user.

Also if you login to gmail is it set in settings (cog symbol) to use https ?

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

I did all of that. The only thing I didn't do is contacting my host. They do not allow it. That is why it doesn't work. So I was able to do it by setting up email under my domain with my host and use their smtp instead of gmail. I think that is even better since I can access it from my gmail, having responses forwarded to my gmail and set an autoresponder as well.

Smythe

Looking for a little assistance...

This is the email error message that I get...

Could not connect to SMTP host: 10060 : A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

I have another forum set up using IP Boards with the same SMTP settings and it works just fine... the only difference is that IP Boards has an option to "Add '<' and '>' to 'to' and 'from' addresses"

not sure if thats the issue??? any suggestions ??? or way to add the "<" ">" to addresses to test..

Aaruni

Quote from: Aaruni on September 24, 2012, 07:51:54 AM
I still cant make it work :(

Was dissalowed by host. Tried on localhost, and works without problems  :)

crazyearner

Hello  I have followed guide and settings to get email set up so that system sends emails out if cliknig forgot password however does not send the emails out. Is their no built in email client with mf to send system messages out if not then I have tried and followed the setup process with gmail and still doe not send emails out.

Crozz

Quote from: crazyearner on February 20, 2013, 07:02:30 PM
Hello  I have followed guide and settings to get email set up so that system sends emails out if cliknig forgot password however does not send the emails out. Is their no built in email client with mf to send system messages out if not then I have tried and followed the setup process with gmail and still doe not send emails out.
SMF by default sends email through PHP, you must have set it to SMTP, also I think for gmail to work with domains you need to have
google apps account.

Advertisement: