News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[TIP GUIDE] Setting up a gmail account on SMF

Started by Night09, October 19, 2009, 09:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night09

Quote from: Crozz on February 21, 2013, 03:15:39 AM

Hello  I have followed guide and settings to get email set up so that system sends emails out if cliknig forgot password however does not send the emails out. Is their no built in email client with mf to send system messages out if not then I have tried and followed the setup process with gmail and still doe not send emails out.

You can use any google email both a single or a domain based one as long as the settings are inputted correctly. The guide shows both methods ive used in the past. Although SMF can use PHP to send mail I myself havent used this feature as my domains had their own urls to use.

ApplianceJunk

For anyone having trouble with SMTP mail setting check to make sure your host does not have port 465 blocking outgoing connection.
Once my host lifted the block all worked well for me.

I also found this link helpful.
Send Email with Gmail - New Guide

ApplianceJunk

I also found this tool helpful well setting up my domain email though gmail business apps.
https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/checkmx/

Tomy Tran

Sudhakar Arjunan

Dear Team,

This setup was working fine till march 29, 2016. But suddenly am seeing all emails in queue for more than 18 days, 80 days etc. And only with 85 emails in queue about summary.

Did gmail settings for smtp is changed or something after march 2016.
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

Irisado

It may be related to this: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=544856.0.  Have a read through that topic and see if it helps you :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Shambles

Quote from: Sudhakar Arjunan
This setup was working fine till march 29, 2016.

Yep, that's the day they tightened up the AUTH validator.

The link supplied by Irisado does contain a pointer to the fix.

Sudhakar Arjunan

Quote from: Irisado on May 13, 2016, 10:55:46 AM
It may be related to this: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=544856.0.  Have a read through that topic and see if it helps you :).

WoW i got the issue with gmail solved. Thanks Irisado.
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

ross003

I have a question: Is there a way of avoiding this email sending limit?

sravan

@admins or mod : sorry for bumping the old topic. I feel below is the easiest way to fix this. I dont have rights to create topic.

Easiest way of fixing the email sending issue on smf.

create a gmail account.
come to smf email settings : Admin>maintenance>mail>settings
provide the details. attached screenshot. check that.

now come back to gmail and go to security settings.
- you should see Less Secure app access. (attached screenshot)
- turn it on.

voila done.

test it by registering a new account on your forums and you will receive the email.

m4z

As recently mentioned here, sending mail from your SMF installation via GMail will probably stop working somewhere between 2020-06-15 and 2021-02-15, as "less secure apps" for G Suite are discontinued.

As I neither use GMail to send my forum mail (as described in this guide), nor use G Suite, I don't know if a) it's possible to use this guide with a "plain" GMail account (without G Suite), b) whether plain GMail is considered a "part" of G Suite, and in consequence, c) if the changes apply to these plain GMail accounts as well.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

petewadey

Quote from: Night09 on October 19, 2009, 09:56:10 PM

If you run Apache server ensure php_openssl is enabled in your php extensions or you wont be able to send mail using ssl://

I've followed all the instructions, but how do I know if I'm using Apache to check the setting? Where do I look to find it?
Thanks

Advertisement: