News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[WIP] View/enter board permissions for SMF 2.0

Started by Arantor, November 26, 2009, 07:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

One mod I've been playing with is the ability to make access to boards based on permissions rather than the options you normally get in the admin panel.

And here it is. It uses the 2.0 profiles system, so like any other board specific permissions, plus you get the ability to deny access.

It also separates viewing the board from entering it, meaning you can either have boards without the ability to enter, but visible on the front page (good for "You need xyz posts to enter here"), or board not visible on the front page but accessible if you know the link and are suitably privileged.

It doesn't import anything from the original permissions and doesn't update them on uninstall (though this is something I could look at, I suppose, for a future version)

This is a beta. It has not been vetted by the SMF Customization Team and may accidentally do something nasty. Please make SURE you have a backup prior to using this mod.

sangwe11

Is this for individual boards yes ?

If so, thank you, like uber much !

Arantor

Well, the way it works is you set up profiles for individual boards (just like you would for any board-level permission in 2.0) and you can tie it into groups there.

sangwe11

Quote from: Arantor on November 26, 2009, 01:30:07 PM
Well, the way it works is you set up profiles for individual boards (just like you would for any board-level permission in 2.0) and you can tie it into groups there.

I was more meaning does it mean we can show (but deny entry) to like, post count entry boards, and do that on a individual basis (ie, not all boards in one category)

Arantor

Sure, if you set up those boards to have the relevant profiles.

What this does is let you make the board visible/enterable per group, potentially per board. Alternatively you might use the default profile and just create a VIP profile just for your VIP boards, if that makes sense?

DirtRider

Ok I gave it a bash  ??? :'(

I installed it and then went to my boards click on that board permission, selected the permission set I wanted to stop from viewing that board, selected something along the lines of hide board or something.

Then the fight started  ;D none of my members could see any boards at all and they are not even in that profile. Tried reversing it by going back into that profile and putting it back to what it was. The fight continued  ;D as none of my member still could not see any boards

So I had to uninstall it to get it all back, but it was ok as I blames it on my co admin  ;D ;D ;D

However I would still like to get it working as it looks like it should do what I need  ;D
http://www.triumphtalk.com

"The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do. "

Arantor

By default it will hide and block access to every board (because until you grant view/enter permission, they don't have it)

You will need to enable it for each usergroup in each profile. Though I think I might add a script to load that from the membergroup data actually; that could be a lot of settings otherwise.

Arantor

It does need more work, and I think the importer is going to have to be written. Not sure if I should also update the master records in the table (for access/visibility) if the mod should be uninstalled or not.

DirtRider

So what you are saying is you now need to go into each group and setup what is allowed and only then go into the one group and setup what is denied  :o Man that may become a lot of work if you have a good few member groups. Anyway I did not realize that was the way it worked so I will play with it a bit more I think

Arantor

Yeah, that's the way it does work at the moment. I'm still considering if/how to approach something that imports your existing groups and turns them into a series of profiles with all the current permissions replicated, but that's a LOT of work and will likely throw up many duplicates of profiles.

DirtRider

Ok then I may just hang in until you have figured it out  ;D

Arantor

It might be a while; short of having a profile for each individual board, I don't really see how to approach it from a particularly efficient manner.

DirtRider

Well I want it so when I do have issue I can do something about it. However so far I am not having issue so I will hang around for a time and see what you come up with.  ;D

Arantor

Realistically, I wouldn't expect it this side of Christmas.

DirtRider

Well I am going to play with it on my test forum but right now if I can wait I would rather do so as it is quite complex to set up the way it is now by the looks of it  ;D

Arantor

I don't think it matters what happens, it'll be complex to set up because it just can't guess what you intend to do, so even mirroring the board structure you have now might not be too helpful.

Advertisement: