News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Re: Questions concerning the Combined Readme post

Started by Orstio, January 24, 2005, 04:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orstio

Great post, Kindred! :D

EDIT -- removed comments to avoid confusion after original post is fixed.   ;D

Kindred

thanks for the corrections. I have fixed the text in the main post. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TechTitan

Superb effort! I've installed MOS-SMF without much trouble thanks to your post. If possible can anybody include additional instructions on Coppermine as well? MOS-SMF-Coppermine.
--:: .... ::--
Checkin' SMF from time to time

Kindred

coppermine has excellent (and simple) instructions included with the package and includes the coppermine-smf bridge as part of the standard distribution.

To add it in mambo, once you have the SMF-mambo bridge running, add Coppermineas a link... either direct, wrapper or outside the mambo framework. Either way, it will read tghe logged in SMF user for access rights.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jazz

For step #4,

4) Install the smf_login Module.
   4a) Using Mambo Admin > Modules > Install/Uninstall Module
   4b) Choose Upload File Package and Browse to the "Login" directory and choose the file called mod_smf_loginv2.0.zip

I get the following error.

XML setup file is not for a "component".

Any idea what the problem is?

Jerry

if it doesn't work on the module install, I would try the component install. :-X

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

jazz

Thanks Jerry!  I'm feeling a little spaced today!  I just got confused between the "Module" and "Component" install. >:( 

Thanks again for helping me realize this!

porcupine

Just for info: These quidelines are excellent.

If you are  v e r y  careful, you ll make it.

anthonyl

Quote from: kindred on January 24, 2005, 03:57:43 PM
Changing the SMF doc_tpye form xhtml to html will handle many of the basic "super large font" issues.

I know this is an obvious question...but how do I do this. (i.e., what file is this in and where do I find that file so I can modify it?)

Thanks so much for your help, and feel free to delete this post after someone answers if it is just cluttering your important post.

Kindred

The can be done by changing the line near the top of index.template.php in your SMF Theme directory.
Слaва
Украинi

davo88

I'm installing the Bridge and have a question about Step 6 -  Apply the Bridge Theme Package.

After completing step 6b, I clicked on "Apply Mods" (although it doesn't say to do this above), then the following screen appeared...

(image doesn't diisplay in Firefox for some reason... but does in IE)

So I entered the Username and Password, clicked on Proceed, and the same screen (above) re-appeared. From that, I assume the FTP login was not successful.

Can you tell me which files need to be made writable and/or what I should do to complete this step?

many thanks, Dave

Edit

Later...  OK, this screen fooled me. It says "Installing the package will peform the following actions:"  and over on the right hand side, "success".  So I thought it had succssfully modded those three and was unable to write to other files.

But checked the permissions of those three files and they were 644. So changed them to 777, clicked on Proceed, the FTP Information Required window disappeared and it appears to have successfully completed the operation. Looks like a little bug (?) with the word success appearing there before it actually writes?

Anyway... problem solved.

TechTitan

Additional on login/logout redirection.

I think by default the  mod_smf_login module will point to the mambo index page after login/logout. To redirect you back to the page where you login/logout, in MOS_SMF.php change this line from:

$_SESSION['login_url'] = $mosConfig_live_site;

to
$_SESSION['login_url'] = mosGetParam( $_SERVER, 'HTTP_REFERER', null );

and from:

$_SESSION['logout_url'] = $mosConfig_live_site;

to
$_SESSION['logout_url'] = mosGetParam( $_SERVER, 'HTTP_REFERER', null );

I am no php genius but I think it works! (that is after hours of experimenting)  ;D
--:: .... ::--
Checkin' SMF from time to time

mister

I have followed your directions as close as i could.  (They were pretty good directions.)

But now when i try to log in, after hitting the Login button, i get this error:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '}', expecting T_VARIABLE or '$' in /home/USERNAME/public_html/components/com_smf/smf.php on line 199

I can login at my forum and then refresh my root site, and the login form is gone and now the loggout button appears.  So something is working!  :)

But when i click the logout button, it gives me the same error.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Please, and thank you in advance. :)
[nofollow]

begby

Just to be clear, I currently am using the old bridge... can I simply overwrite the files, or do I have to install the component again through the mambo backend?

Kindred

Yes, you can... (except for the discuss-bot)

Just note that there are additional files (that never existed in previous versions) that belong in various directories.

The discussbot, on the other hand must be uninstalled and reinstalled since the parameters are added on installation via the XML.
Слaва
Украинi

Janner

Quote from: tophe on March 04, 2005, 07:40:09 AM
Is there a way of installing the latest bridge without using the SMF packade manager?

Simply make the code changes manually. This is what the SMF package does:

Quote<edit file>
$boarddir/index.php
</edit file>

<search for>
      'maintain' => array('Admin.php', 'Maintenance'),
</search for>

<replace>
      'maintain' => array('Admin.php', 'Maintenance'),
      'mambo_login' => array('MOS_SMF.php', 'MOS_Login'),
      'mambo_logout' => array('MOS_SMF.php', 'MOS_Logout'),
</replace>

tophe

So editin the Index.php of the SMF folder is the only thing I have to do manually to the SMF board?

Janner

Quote from: tophe on March 04, 2005, 08:50:32 AM
So editin the Index.php of the SMF folder is the only thing I have to do manually to the SMF board?

Yes. That is the only change the package makes.

tophe

This readme seems great.. But is it possible to update it abit?
For example.. There is no "com_smf.zip" in the archive.. And in the readme you're supposed to upload it.

I tried uploading SMF.zip instead (i guess that's the one).. Then I get the error:

QuoteWarning: main(/hsphere/local/home/xxxx/xxxx/administrator/components/com_smf/admin.smf.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /hsphere/local/home/xxxx/xxxx/administrator/templates/mambo_admin_blue/index.php on line 86

Warning: main(/hsphere/local/home/xxxx/xxxx/administrator/components/com_smf/admin.smf.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /hsphere/local/home/xxxx/xxxx/administrator/templates/mambo_admin_blue/index.php on line 86

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '/hsphere/local/home/xxxx/xxxx/administrator/components/com_smf/admin.smf.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /hsphere/local/home/xxxx/xxxx//administrator/templates/mambo_admin_blue/index.php on line 86

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

chadness

Yes, there's a new name.  Tophe, have you updated the Mambo template you are using?

Kindred

I just added the information from Goosemoose regarding prior SMF links...

(in other words, if you ran SMF before adding the bridge, your links in messages will all point to the OLD smf URL.)

Using his SQL command, (in phpMyAdmin) you will change ALL the old links to the new bridge component links...
Слaва
Украинi

mentos

Hello,

Is the bridge ok for an update with the last avaible smf 1.0.3?

Thanks...

If not, Is there a way to upgrade my 1.0.2 smf to 1.0.3 Without any problem for my mambo-smf?

Thanks...

Kindred

this has been asked and answered...

Use the update available in the package manager of SMF.
There's a link in the text at the top of your package manager instyalled mods list...

Слaва
Украинi

mentos

Kindred

Links to threads for adding smf/coppermine to Mambo search and adding a link to users' albums in coppermine/mambo have been added to the original post:

Update:

To add a search function of SMF (and Coppermine) to your mambo search box, check out THIS thread by bmwheaven

to add the coppermine link to your user's posts (or anywhere else) and still open it wrapped in mambo, check out url=http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=28318.0]THIS thread [/url]by Goosemoose
Слaва
Украинi

AiR-head

OK, I've done everything. But when I extract the bridge zip (3.1) I get some directories like "mosbot", "misc modules" and "step-by-step install", with zip files inside those directories, and text files. This is probably some stupid mistake of mine, but there you go.

What did I do?

Orstio

Start with the step-by-step install.  Go through steps 1-4.

If you want the mosbot, install it.

If you want any of the miscellaneous modules, install the ones you want.

manolao

I've just seen on the mamboforge site that a new version (pretty changed) of SMF bridge has been released... this works also with mambo com_builder...

and probably something change in the installation, or?

someone has already tried it?

Kindred

ok....   the new release is NOT the standard bridge.  This is the modified bridge (by Cowboy at mambohacks.com) and is NOT what this readme (nor most of the posts in this forum) are discussing.

That being said, I have tried it out on my test site.

The installation is a little buggy if your mambo directory is not writeable.
He claims that it redirects the SMF profile to the community builder profile... in my tests, it does not.

Many of the standard bridge modules will not work with this version, including the who's online (both), and my calendar modules (both).
I do see that he has released a revision of the latest post module to work with it...

Overall, it's a nice piece of work but it has distinctly separated from the standard bridge...

Слaва
Украинi

b_michael

For your all's sake I'm sticking with the install I've already done  ;D

taucher

that means, that it would be better to stay with orsitos bridge - right?

chadness

If you are already using Orstio's, definitely stick with it.

manolao

Quote from: kindred on April 26, 2005, 10:49:37 AM
ok....   the new release is NOT the standard bridge.  This is the modified bridge (by Cowboy at mambohacks.com [nofollow]) and is NOT what this readme (nor most of the posts in this forum) are discussing.

oh, yes, I've seen when I checked better the project page on mamboforge!  :)

well.. so I will use the standard one :-D

chardi

I am using mambo4.5.2 & smf 1.0.3 & bridge 3.14
I exactly followed this thread, but after I login, it shows me an empty page,
http://localhost/88/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&action=mambo_login [nofollow]

Anyone can help?

Kindred

MOS_SMF.php did not get copied to your smf/Sources directory.
Get it out of the archive in Step 1 and load it there...
Слaва
Украинi

chardi

Thanks for reply.
MOS_SMF.php DID get copied to my smf/Sources directory, I really follow the guide step by step.
After I login, the empty page appears, but if I hit the "back" buttun, it shows some info like "Hey, admin, you have 0 messages, 0 are new.....", that means I login successfully but just the page was not directed properly.

Kindred

I know you followed the steps...     however, be certain that the mos_smf.php file was actually copied...  sometimes the package manager fails in the copy...  and the description of your problem sounds like that...
Слaва
Украинi

NoRad

QuoteFatal error: Call to undefined function md5_hmac() in I:\louipimps\forum\Sources\MOS_SMF.php on line 171

I'm getting this error when trying to login from the mambo page with the latest bridge?

http://www.louipimps.com

[Unknown]

Quote from: Radianation on May 05, 2005, 07:51:44 PM
QuoteFatal error: Call to undefined function md5_hmac() in I:\louipimps\forum\Sources\MOS_SMF.php on line 171

I'm getting this error when trying to login from the mambo page with the latest bridge?

You'll need a different version of the bridge for 1.1.

-[Unknown]

p9939068

Hi i just downloaded smf 1.0.3 and MOS-SMF Bridge 3.1, and am using Mambo 4.5.2. and I've hit some pretty bad brick wall  :-[ By the way i'm configuring the bridge to work for a standalone SMF, where the Mambo site is root, and smf url is root/smf, AND mambo and smf using 2 different databases.

Firstly, consider reading the quote below:
Quote7) Configure the SMF component in Mambo Admin.
      7a) Using the Mambo Admin, choose Components> Simple Machines Forum > Edit Config
      7b) Set the Path to SMF. This is NOT a URL! This is the absolute path to your SMF
            Installation.
            (Usually this will be something similar to /home/username/public_html/forum)
      7c) Set the SMF database name
            (If you are using SMF wrapped and installed in the same database as mambo,
            you CAN leave this blank, but it's better to have it filled in anyhow.)
      7c) Set the SMF database prefix
            (Usually this will be smf_)
      7d) Set the Mambo database prefix
         (Usually this will be something similar to `MAMBO_DATABASE_NAME`.mos_)

NOTE: If your Mambo and SMF Tables are in the same database, then the
         `DATABASE_NAME` is not required.
      (Although it will not hurt anything and may avoid furute problems if it is present.)

7e) Choose if you want your Forum wrapped or unwrapped.

It should be noted that there are essentially three formats to display your
         Mambo/Forum integration:
      Wrapped:         You are using SMF through the Mambo bridge. The Forum appears
                           "wrapped" in the Mambo tables.
      Unwrapped:      You are still using SMF through Mambo, but it doesn't have the
                           look of a wrapped forum. It looks stand-alone, but it is actually
                           loading through Mambo.
                           This is set in the Mambo config for the component.
                           (The changes to MOS_SMF.php are not required in this case.)
      Stand-alone:   You don't want your forum URL to change.
                           This would be if you already have a large SMF userbase, and you
                           don't want them to have to change the URL that they probably have
                           bookmarked.  In that case, make the changes in MOS_SMF.php as noted.

Now this part of the instructions, sadly, do not work for me, as this is what i see in my Edit SMF-Forum page:

As we can see, there is no place for me to "Set the SMF Database Name", SMF DB Prefix, Mambo DB Prefix. Also I only have 2 options in the SMF Forum Integration dropdown box: Wrapped and Unwrapped. There is no Standalone option. There is also the unexplained SMF Forum Integration dropdown box below, which has 2 options "Use Bridge Registration" and "Use SMF Registration", which I assume is to set whether the forum or the bridge will handle the registrations.

Next comes the error at logging in from Mambo. When i login, it shows a totally blank page with the url "localhost:8080/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=29&action=mambo_login" (yeah i'm developing this on local). I'm guessing it could be a redirection error? When i hit the back button and refreshed, it shows i'm logged in, but the extra Mambo buttons viewable only for logged in users do not appear. Note that they DID appear when i stored both mambo and smf tables in one databases. After i port smf tables (they're empty) over to another database, this happens. Everything was configured accordingly for a standalone smf using a separate database.

Next is the 2nd log in error. As it is, there are 2 methods of logging in from the Mambo site. One can either enter username and password in the smf login form and hit the enter button (which will result in the above error for me), or click the link "login", also in the smf login form (note that i've already unpublished mambo's default login form). When i click on the link "login", i get transferred to a totally blank page (url: "http://localhost:8080/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=29&action=login"), again without redirection. Also note that the action parameter in the url is "action=login" instead of action=mambo_login or action2=mambo_login. Maybe i missed something?

Next is the error of registration through mambo. Remember the part where i said I have 2 choices in my mambo component -> SMF-Config -> SMF Forum Integration for registration? (Use Bridge Registration and Use SMF Registration). When it's set to Use Bridge Registration and i try to register, i get this error: Notice: Undefined variable: context in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\components\com_smf_registration\smf_registration.php on line 130. Whereas if it's set to Use SMF Registration and i try to register, it goes to a blank page (url:http://localhost:8080/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=29&action=register) and doesnt redirect anywhere SOMETIMES, or will redirect me to the smf registration page OTHER TIMES (hehe i know this sounds really silly, but it's true). I'm guessing it's cookies? I've set both local storage of cookies and subdomain independant cookies to off.

Just to add, the whole thing works fine when I have both Mambo and SMF using the SAME database. It only starts acting up when i split up the database (which i have to on the live site, unfortunately), so maybe that's a clue...  :-[

Appreciate all help in advance :)

Orstio

QuoteAs we can see, there is no place for me to "Set the SMF Database Name", SMF DB Prefix, Mambo DB Prefix. Also I only have 2 options in the SMF Forum Integration dropdown box: Wrapped and Unwrapped. There is no Standalone option. There is also the unexplained SMF Forum Integration dropdown box below, which has 2 options "Use Bridge Registration" and "Use SMF Registration", which I assume is to set whether the forum or the bridge will handle the registrations.

That is correct.  The database info is pulled in from Mambo and SMF automatically, so there's no need to enter it here.

QuoteNext comes the error at logging in from Mambo. When i login, it shows a totally blank page with the url "localhost:8080/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=29&action=mambo_login" (yeah i'm developing this on local). I'm guessing it could be a redirection error? When i hit the back button and refreshed, it shows i'm logged in, but the extra Mambo buttons viewable only for logged in users do not appear. Note that they DID appear when i stored both mambo and smf tables in one databases. After i port smf tables (they're empty) over to another database, this happens. Everything was configured accordingly for a standalone smf using a separate database.

Take a look at the file MOS_SMF.php inside your SMF Sources directory.  There are instructions in there that will assist you in modifying it to meet the needs of a stand-alone forum with bridged registration and login.

QuoteNext is the error of registration through mambo. Remember the part where i said I have 2 choices in my mambo component -> SMF-Config -> SMF Forum Integration for registration? (Use Bridge Registration and Use SMF Registration). When it's set to Use Bridge Registration and i try to register, i get this error: Notice: Undefined variable: context in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\components\com_smf_registration\smf_registration.php on line 130. Whereas if it's set to Use SMF Registration and i try to register, it goes to a blank page (url:http://localhost:8080/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=29&action=register) and doesnt redirect anywhere SOMETIMES, or will redirect me to the smf registration page OTHER TIMES (hehe i know this sounds really silly, but it's true). I'm guessing it's cookies? I've set both local storage of cookies and subdomain independant cookies to off.

You still need to put the code from the readme in step 4 into your Mambo template.

p9939068

Thanks for the reply! :) Just need a little more information:

QuoteTake a look at the file MOS_SMF.php inside your SMF Sources directory.  There are instructions in there that will assist you in modifying it to meet the needs of a stand-alone forum with bridged registration and login.
I've already modified the MOD_SMF.php file. It looks like this:
if (!defined('SMF')){
  //Change this next line to the absolute path if you are using SMF outside of Mambo (stand alone)
  //I know it looks right, but not if you're using a stand-alone forum
  require ("administrator/components/com_smf/config.smf.php");
  require ("smf/SSI.php");
}

// Uncomment the following lines if you wish to use SMF outside of Mambo, but you still want the single login
// You will, of course, have to set the paths and database/table names according to your own installation
if (!defined('_VALID_MOS')){
  define( '_VALID_MOS', 1 );
  include_once( '../globals.php' );
  require_once( '../configuration.php' );
  require ("../includes/mambo.php");
}

Am I still missing something..? I read through MOS_SMF.php, but the rest of the params dont seem relevant to logging in/out..  ::)

QuoteYou still need to put the code from the readme in step 4 into your Mambo template.
By this you're referring to changing the contents of xxx.template.php where action=login2 to action=mambo_login and action=logout to action=mambo_logout right..? i've already done that...to no avail  :(

Orstio

Here is your problem:

// You will, of course, have to set the paths and database/table names according to your own installation
if (!defined('_VALID_MOS')){
  define( '_VALID_MOS', 1 );
  include_once( '../globals.php' );
  require_once( '../configuration.php' );
  require ("../includes/mambo.php");
}

The key being this part:  // You will, of course, have to set the paths and database/table names according to your own installation

Your paths to those files are not set correctly.

p9939068

hmm ok but cant i use a relative path? cus my configuration.php and global.php are just 2 levels down. i dont know the absolute path of my server  :-[

Orstio

Quotehmm ok but cant i use a relative path? cus my configuration.php and global.php are just 2 levels down. i dont know the absolute path of my server 

Check your Mambo admin panel, Global Configuration.  Click on the Server tab, and the very top item is your absolute path.

caritas

Ok, I'm freaking out a little bit >:( ...

After installing the bridge all works fine (accept for the fact that a mambosessions keep existing while the smf session is already terminated; and yes their both set to the same 2880; smf is using db sessions however).
But my actual problem is with the latest event and latest topic module, which are installed from the bridge zip as mentioned in the starting post of this topic.

Latest topic
When showing this module, within Mambo, on the homepage all works fine. But when showing it, within Mambo, on the forum page, it errors.
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: ssi_recenttopics()
in "myserverroot"\modules\mod_smf_recentTopics.php on line 19

So, it seams to me :-\, that the module can't find the SSI.php... Am I right? But the SSI.php is in the path in my php.ini.

Latest event
When showing this module on the homepage it errors.
Notice: Undefined index: calender_only_today
in "myserverroot"\modules\mod_smf_recentEvents.php on line 25

But whatever, this is just a notice, but... on the forum page this happens:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: smf_loadcalendarinfo()
in "myserverroot"\modules\mod_smf_recentEvents.php on line 21

Please tell me, what the  :'( am I doing wrong. Or.. what can I do to repair :D.

Tnx Upfront! 8)

Orstio

Take a look at the readme in step 4 in the bridge package.  There is code that you must add to your Mambo template.

b_michael

Speaking of stand alone forums...

I have all of my options set to let my forum run in "wrapped" mode, yet my forum is still accessable as a stand-alone system. This is causing errors for my users when they attempt to login from forum pages they've previously bookmarked.

I've added a redirect from the original URL to help compensate. Is there anything I can do to shutdown independent access to the forum?

xenovanis

Quote from: b_michael on May 13, 2005, 11:54:04 AM
Speaking of stand alone forums...

I have all of my options set to let my forum run in "wrapped" mode, yet my forum is still accessable as a stand-alone system. This is causing errors for my users when they attempt to login from forum pages they've previously bookmarked.

I've added a redirect from the original URL to help compensate. Is there anything I can do to shutdown independent access to the forum?

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=35225.0

Make sure you read the whole thread  ;)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

jbutler

Quote from: Kindred on January 24, 2005, 03:57:43 PMYou can
make a "quick and dirty"
merge of the CSS files by doing the following:

Open the MAMBO/templates/TEMPLATE_NAME/css/template_css.css file
Open the SMF/Themes/THEME_NAME/style.css file

Copy all of the SMF Theme file into the Mambo template file.
Remove the Duplicate entries from the newly copied portion.
(In other words, if the CSS entry exists in the Mambo template, delete the entry in
the newly created SMF section)
Now save it, and then remove the same "duplicate" entries in the style.css file in
your SMF theme directory.

If I may make a suggestion...

I think you might save some effort if you first remove the duplicate entries from SMF's style.css and then copy the revised file into the Mambo template (template_css.css).

The revised steps would be:

• Make a back-up of your CSS files (always a good idea!).
  • Compare style.css with template_css.css.  Remove entries in style.css that are contained in template_css.css.
  • Copy the remaining entries from style.css into a new, SMF section of template_css.css.

Does that make sense?

One question:  Won't this process create new duplicate entries in style.css and template_css.css?  Does one have to have the SMF entries from style.css included in Mambo's template_css.css?

Regards,

Kindred

well, the order of removing the duplicates doesn't really matter.  I find it much easier to work within a single file than to bounce back and forth between files/windows.

The problem is not that the entry is decalred twice... the problem is (if you don't merge the files) then the SMF entries OVERRIDE the mambo entries and screw up the look of the mambo part of the board, when any SMF function is loaded in the main window.

As long as the entries are identical between mambo and SMF, the fact that one file is a copy of the other will have no visible effect.

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: