News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[GUIDE] Installing SMF on a cPanel™ host.

Started by aishaweb, January 27, 2010, 01:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorMalboro

Quote from: Kat on January 27, 2010, 04:20:28 PMDone!

FWIW, I used Fantastico, once.

I won't be using it, again.  ;)
what? It's the best panel i ever use, even better than elserver panel :O

aishaweb

fantastico isnt a panel, its an autoinstaller...

TheListener

Where the heck was the tutorial when I needed it?

;D

Good job.

This topic should be glued to the forum ( I mean stickied sorry)

Shole

rd

Original Poster, can I publish this tutorial in my website? Or you can publish it there, just PM me for URL.

On Topic: I like this a lot :) Would have been useful if I had C Panel :P I use Webmin

Anyway, doesn't the autoinstaller only install the latest stable version? Meaning SMF 1.1.11 only?

aishaweb

Quote from: Royalduke on February 15, 2010, 07:19:06 PM
Original Poster, can I publish this tutorial in my website?

Go ahead, just link back to this thread

On Topic: I like this a lot :) Would have been useful if I had C Panel :P I use Webmin
Then make one for webmin.   ;)

Anyway, doesn't the autoinstaller only install the latest stable version? Meaning SMF 1.1.11 only?

Depends on the host and how quickly smf updates, a lot  hosts are usually a version or 2 behind, dont forget, fantastico has a lot of scripts in it to keep up to date.

aishaweb

pizmit

Check us out at ----->         http://pizmit.com/ [nofollow]      <------- Always Open

mdj

im a complete newb and rookie at this, so please bear with me, ive followed the directions above and have managed to load up smf 2.0 to my database, thats the good news, however i cant manage to get the database to load to my domain, i dont see the last stages of the directions when i load up my browser, i just see error page 404 no page exists, what am i not doing?

many thanks.
SMF Version: 2.0.1

mdj

ok, ive managed to overcome the problem, cheers anyhow
SMF Version: 2.0.1

Joe_Dean

That's really the only good thing about cPanel's file manager...uploading archives and extracting them. Saves LOADS of time as opposed to mass-uploading all files using FTP.

Dharshan

agreed aisha, thanks for the tutorial, IMO this should be practiced by SMF admins, it gives better understanding of the forum and DB and also Fantastico SUCKS!

i used it once and had issues updating the auto-installed SMF 1.1.11, and that was the last time i used fantastico for SMF.

(being that said fantastico is good for other softwares like joomla etc)
R I P  : Steve Jobs | you made the world today look how it is | Thank you

sadaam

I used Fantastico, once.
I won't be using it, again
Me feel proude to use SMF!!

NanoSector

Quote from: K@ on January 27, 2010, 04:20:28 PM
Done!

FWIW, I used Fantastico, once.

I won't be using it, again.  ;)
At my host they put an icon to Fantastico but it doesn't work at all. Endless maintenance, or how they may call that ;)

Nice tutorial. Be warned every host is different so some settings may not be the same :)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Nice guide, and if this helps even one person stay away from fantastico - then it was worth it IMO :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: