News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Recent Travails of SMF Team and Friends

Started by Kindred, January 28, 2010, 01:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akyhne

Quote from: The Wicked Flea on February 04, 2010, 07:12:09 PM
For guys like Unknown and akabugeyes (and Jeff Lewis) I still feel pity, as they're not interested in bemoaning the man-hours lost or in stooping to anything near blackmail.
For you this is new, for the friends it's been going on for years. We can't do anything, but what we do. The project (servers etc.) was hijacked. What do you want us to do?!!

Rowdy

Interesting. If she is the owner outright then of course she can destroy it if she chooses. Attacking her would then be the absolute worst possible course, if you want something from her (i.e., the name Simple Machines or use of code which I would think is slightly less important). Its probably best just to try and buy her out under the circumstances. :)

ryanhellyer

Quote from: Rowdy on February 04, 2010, 07:13:10 PM
So the meat of the issue is resentment because Amy got paid? Or is it resentment because in some people's views she didn't get enough done to warrant the salary? Or, is it a combination? If she hasn't done her job, fire her. What's the problem? But you can't complain about paying a salary being incompatible with your principles if you offered it in the first place.

The following blog post may explain some of it for you:
http://www.  .ca/?p=426

EDIT: It seems that SMF is still censoring things around here :( The link has been automatically stripped. I guess the SMF team still feels there is something to hide in the blog post. I was hoping that attitude had changed, but I guess not :(

~DS~

Quote from: Rowdy on February 04, 2010, 07:31:22 PM
Its probably best just to try and buy her out under the circumstances. :)
What if it's her plan all along...? Lurking us to buy it out of her...?
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Rowdy

It really doesn't matter what her motivations are if she is the outright owner. She has what you want so you need to make a deal or move on. I'm still waiting for the philosophical dispute at the root of this silliness. My impression is the dispute could be resolved.

The Wicked Flea

Quote from: Akyhne on February 04, 2010, 07:28:49 PM
For guys like Unknown and akabugeyes (and Jeff Lewis) I still feel pity, as they're not interested in bemoaning the man-hours lost or in stooping to anything near blackmail.
For you this is new, for the friends it's been going on for years. We can't do anything, but what we do. The project (servers etc.) was hijacked. What do you want us to do?!!
I want you guys to negotiate like adults, not like a 3-year-old throwing a tantrum. And if that fails, I want you to get up, dust yourselves off, and start fresh if necessary. Take what legal actions you can.

Really, what do you folks have to gain from acting like a bunch of jealous 3-year-olds?

madfitz

Well I tired of this thread by page 14.

I'm pretty disappointed that all this dirty laundry is being aired in public. I think both sides have been guilty of childish behaviour, both sides have done wrong to the other and, it seems to me, both sides have lied - or at least been economical with the truth.

I don't have the optimism some have for the future of SMF and right now I'm wondering what software to convert to :(

Antechinus

Quote from: The Wicked Flea on February 04, 2010, 07:39:18 PM
I want you guys to negotiate like adults, not like a 3-year-old throwing a tantrum. And if that fails, I want you to get up, dust yourselves off, and start fresh if necessary. Take what legal actions you can.
That is coming.

It was impossible to negotiate like adults, because the current management have no intention of negotiating.

forsakenlad

Quote from: The Wicked Flea on February 04, 2010, 07:39:18 PM

Really, what do you folks have to gain from acting like a bunch of jealous 3-year-olds?

Well, first of all SMF Friends although firmly connected don't act as a group so please choose your words more carefully when addressing all of them as they can't be held accountable by the actions of a few.

Second of all that was the way we were leaning towards, we had tried all possible discussions and when it didn't work out we had left and started working on something new, but the current SMF management approached us, asked us to open up a channel of dialogue and make sure that no-one else other than the elected representatives got involved in the stuff.

However as you can see, Amy a manager of the project didn't abide by the suggestion that her own team put out. How could we tell our fellow SMF Friends to keep their cool when the people who approached us making that suggestion don't?

I think Amy's post shows how disorganized and misformed the SMF team structure is. What she tried to accomplish by that post, I can't tell. It only led to stagnation and more public mocking.

I'll respectfully bow out now.
Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

TurtleKicker

Quote from: ryanhellyer on February 04, 2010, 07:32:35 PM
EDIT: It seems that SMF is still censoring things around here :( The link has been automatically stripped. I guess the SMF team still feels there is something to hide in the blog post. I was hoping that attitude had changed, but I guess not :(

Well, that's pretty sad. I thought we were past that. I'd help you bypass this, however the source server seems down at the moment.

For the readers: the above link was to a blog entry by Jeff Lewis, one of the original co-founders of SMF. In it he outlines in-detail what has happened, and his personal opinions on the matter. The substance of this post has been deemed accurate and undisputed, by Kindred even and I believe by Motoko-chan as well (if he disagrees I'll retract this and edit this post).

Posting of this link was the sole basis for banning of many users... the banning which was mentioned by others such as Kindred and Amy herself, which was then reversed. So while the banning was reversed, the stance on whether the SMF co-founder's own words were allowed to be distributed apparently has not.

Quote from: madfitz on February 04, 2010, 07:40:17 PM
it seems to me, both sides have lied - or at least been economical with the truth.

Out of curiosity, could you elaborate where you believe those in opposition to Amy have lied? As this is peculiar and a pretty significant accusation. In the interest of not misleading newcomers to this discussion, it's worthwhile to be specific and clarify such accusations.

By my count, 30-50 significant, respected and notable people are unified in their version of things. The people believing Amy amount to... 2 or 3 people, besides Amy herself (perhaps less now since she made that long post)? Perhaps my numbers aren't exact, but the proportional difference is exponential.

Fustrate

Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

StarChildxox

K's I really still don't get it?  I have read the letter where they are asking Amy to step down?  But what I don't get?  What happened to start all of this?  One minute everyone at SMF were all happy campers, I remember Jade and Amy, and runic actually playing in posts, laughing  enjoying each others company?  Everyone was a valuable member of a suposedly great team?  Now everyone is chosing sides, knifes are being thrown in each others backs, and for what?  Please explain, there has to have been a reason for the letter to have been written in the first place, and for it to turn so ugly in such a short amount of time, I as a member want to know what started it?   Someone is not telling us ALL THE FACTS HERE!   Anyone care to be honest?  AND I MEAN COMPLETELY HONEST?   I want the full ENTIRE story?  Please?

Thanx
                                          O:)
                                    hotchildxox

ryanhellyer

Quote from: sremick on February 04, 2010, 08:02:20 PMI'd help you bypass this, however the source server seems down at the moment.

You can bypass the censoring by using a URL forwarder like TinyURL, but I'm not going to bother. The censorship says far more about what is going on than that blog post would.

ryanhellyer

Quote from: hotchildxox on February 04, 2010, 09:04:31 PMSomeone is not telling us ALL THE FACTS HERE!   Anyone care to be honest?  AND I MEAN COMPLETELY HONEST?   I want the full ENTIRE story?  Please?

The facts are available, it just seems that we are not allowed to post them here, ie: the blog post which outlines most of the issues is being automatically censored. Many members were banned here recently for posting information about it so I guess they don't want to risk being banned again.

Quote from: ryanhellyer on February 04, 2010, 06:46:37 PM
Because your "staff" kept censoring our posts I had to start posting outside of SMF just to alert other SMF users to the mess. Please do not do this again! It highly ticked me off!
http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657382
http://www.wptavern.com/forum/general/1220-smf-down-toilet.html

StarChildxox

All that's in blog is the letter basically asking her to step down, but what I am saying is something had to have happened to start this whole thing going, why did they all of a sudden decide to post that letter in the blog, why now?  If it's been five years  what makes it relevant to post it now?  Why not five years ago four, three?  Something happened that no one wants to talk about, not Amy nor the people that oppose her?   There had to be a specific moment and a specific thing, that made them decide to post that request on that blog?  That is what I want to know?  What did Amy do, and to whom, to make them decide, we're going to post this blog and we're all going to sign it, and expect Amy (the owner btw) to just read it and automatically step down?   Who would expect that?  Unless something big happened that none of us know about, so what is it?   I think the SMF community deserves to know everything, before making a conscious decision on who is right and who is wrong?   That letter doesn't give all the facts so what are they?

Thanx
                              hotchildxox

StarChildxox

Anyone care to reply?  Amy?  Can you tell us what happened?  You are the owner.  You did answer  before when questioned, can you explain the rest of it?  Why out of the blue, has everyone decided to overthrow your leadership?  There had to be a specific reason that they wrote that request to you, now what exactly was that? 

Thanx
                     hotchildxox

Akyhne

You are not going to get any answers from her. When people are questioning her, she shuts up.

One of the reasons we are in this situation...

Quote from: hotchildxox on February 04, 2010, 09:37:04 PM
Something happened that no one wants to talk about
No it's no secret. The SMF project was stolen by a few. We all got kicked out, and had to sign a letter telling us to STFU to get back.

Savinaa

Well, I heard rumors along the way...I would like to create a SMF forum, but hesitant to devote time to it knowing it could end up stale.  My best of luck to the negotiating teams on both sides.

I can only advise this thread be locked and things kept running as best as possible between all parties and keep  "negotiations" private. 

my 2 cents worth

bigt62187

ive been using smf for a year or so now and would hate to see it go away i really have no idea whats going on but hope you guys can work it out best of luck to the negotiating teams

StarChildxox

Quote from: Akyhne on February 04, 2010, 09:54:55 PM
You are not going to get any answers from her. When people are questioning her, she shuts up.

One of the reasons we are in this situation...

Quote from: hotchildxox on February 04, 2010, 09:37:04 PM
Something happened that no one wants to talk about
No it's no secret. The SMF project was stolen by a few. We all got kicked out, and had to sign a letter telling us to STFU to get back.

Why were there a need for questions in the first place?   And what was the first question and who asked it?  I know the team got banned for asking her to step down, but something really bad had to have happened to one of the team, for all of them to stand together like that, and then to create a letter asking the owner to step down and to actually expect her to?  And once again I get insinuations and accusations, but no actual reason it all started?   I want the full blown he said, she said story...    Evidently know one including Amy wants to share the whole entire facts.  Whom did what to whom?  And why is everyone
sweeping it under the bed?  Details give us details....

Thanx
                  hotchildxox     

Advertisement: