• Welcome to Simple Machines Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Hide Ignored Boards

Started by Matthew K., September 18, 2009, 08:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Srinib

After i installed this MOD on my test forum, i am getting this error message. Only when i click "Home", i get this error. Profile, My Messages, Members and Logout are working fine.

Matthew K.

Make sure the database operations were completed (it appears they weren't). You should be able to run the "install.php" file that is in the package in your browser.

TMR Guy

Where is it that I have the option to "Ignore a Board" on SMF 2.0.7?

Thanks,

TMR Guy

Arantor

It's in your profile area, assuming it's enabled.
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented

TMR Guy

I don't see where to enabled/disable the mod.

Arantor

This is something I never understood about mod authors and when I originally wrote this mod, I certainly didn't bother with it. If you install it, it's enabled, if you uninstall it, it gets disabled. Why does there need to be any configuration beyond that?

TMR Guy

I uninstalled the mod, then deleted it, then reinstalled it and it gave me this massage, "The package was installed successfully. You should now be able to use whatever functionality it adds or changes; or not be able to use functionality it removes." So it should be enabled, right?

But I'm not seeing where to use it. I thought it would be in my profile when I clicked the "Modify Profile" button. I just don't see how to use it.

Thanks,

TMR Guy

Arantor

This mod doesn't make ignored boards happen. They're already a feature in SMF, this mod just tweaks them.

Ignore boards is enabled via Admin > Forum > Settings > Allow boards to be ignored. (This setting exists regardless of whether the mod is installed)

TMR Guy

I hope I'm don't getting off topic but....

I did Admin > Forum > Boards > Settings > Allow boards to be ignored. Which added the "Ignore Boards Options" to my Modify Profile drop down box/options. It shows all the boards that I can ignore but it doesn't work unless I have the mod installed. It's working fine now (with the mod installed). Was there something I did wrong for it not to work without the mod?

Also, is there a way for me to not allow members to ignore a board? If I had a "Admins Announcements" board that I didn't want anyone to ignore, is there a way for me to do that?

Arantor, thanks for all of your help on my last few questions over the last few days.

Arantor

Of course it does. It just doesn't do what you think it does.

Without the mod installed, a board that is ignored is just that. Boards don't show up as having new posts, nor do said boards turn up in recent or unread posts. If you still want to see the state of topics in those boards, you can still go and see the topics and still see which ones are unread.

With the mod installed, all of that still happens - but the boards won't show up on board indexes, that's all it does.

For example, I have all the non-English boards marked ignore here because they don't interest me, as I don't speak the language. They're all excluded from recent posts, all excluded from unread posts but the boards are still visible.

No, there isn't a way in base SMF to pick and choose boards to ignore/not ignore. I don't know if there's a mod for it or not, there wasn't last time I looked for one, in the end I just wrote it myself.

TMR Guy

Now I get it, thanks for explaining it to me Arantor. And thank you to the author of the mod, it's going to help me as my sites grows  8)

Arantor

The mod author you say? Check the mod's page for where it says 'original author' ;D

Advertisement: