Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

httpBL

Started by Diego Andrés, February 17, 2010, 03:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EL34

Ok thanks, just wanted to check
It seemed strange to see a blank.gif there

QuoteYou only get English speaking visitors?

Most of the spammers that give me grief are Russian or from eastern block countries, not Spain.

And yes I get visitors from all over the world, but the forum is in english.
There's no reason to have Spanish warning messages for french, or vietnamese guys and so they all just deal with english on my forum.

Besides, the warning screen was really crowded trying to lay out tables with side by side languages.
Technically, it would be better if they are human to ask them what languge they prefer to see their warning in and then load a set of variables based on that.

A robot does not care what the language is, so it would only apply to a real human.
Forum History -> EZBoard -> YABB -> SMF 1.1.19 -> SMF 2.0.19

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: EL34 on October 05, 2010, 09:45:42 AM
Most of the spammers that give me grief are Russian or from eastern block countries, not Spain.

The text in the warning page is not there for the sake of the spammers, but for the real human visitors. It's them who need to understand it.

Quote from: EL34 on October 05, 2010, 09:45:42 AM
Technically, it would be better if they are human to ask them what languge they prefer to see their warning in and then load a set of variables based on that.

I have been thinking about that a lot, but I cannot find a way to do it without adding some links to the warning page.

And remember that if you want your warning page to work properly you cannot have any link at all inside it.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

EL34

QuoteThe text in the warning page is not there for the sake of the spammers, but for the real human visitors.
It's them who need to understand it

Yes, of course
But what about mongolian's, they probably don't need to see Spanish warnings.  ;D

butchs

You can have one language displayed.

Here is one way:
SMFs built in loadLanguage() function can take care of that for members who are logged in.  Possibly others?  If you have two language files (english and spanish) they should load the correct language on a multi-language forum.

Something more elaborate:
If you want to do it for all languages you can inspect the incoming browser headers via the "Accept-Language" field for the visitors language and direct them to the correct language file via loadLanguage().

Any volunteers for the second one?  O:)
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

EL34

Any human trying to visit my forum has to be able to read english because all the post are in english so non english warnings make no sense for my needs.
If they can't read english, they would not be able to read any of the post on my forum, so why bother.

Of course, having multiple language warnings may be of interest to other forum admins

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: butchs on October 05, 2010, 10:56:44 AM
You can have one language displayed.

Here is one way:
SMFs built in loadLanguage() function can take care of that for members who are logged in.  Possibly others?  If you have two language files (english and spanish) they should load the correct language on a multi-language forum.

Something more elaborate:
If you want to do it for all languages you can inspect the incoming browser headers via the "Accept-Language" field for the visitors language and direct them to the correct language file via loadLanguage().

Any volunteers for the second one?  O:)

For members already logged in the more normal situation is you have already given them permission to over-pass the mod, so they won't never see the warning page anyway.

And about the second solution I'm not very happy with it because it can lead to ridiculous situations.

For example all my browsers always send in the headers that info saying my language is Spanish and sometimes if I want to see an English page I cannot do it if they are using this system.

For example Microsoft uses this system, so if I want to see any page inside www.microsoft.com I always see it in Spanish, doesn't matter what I try, and usually the translation is wrong, but I cannot see the original file in English unless I open it with a browser in a computer done completely in English.

Completely nuts. I have even sent an email to Microsoft telling them, but got no answer.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

butchs

MS will not bother with us low life's.  But you can one up MS by adding an button in the warning message to see the default ie English?
8)
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: butchs on October 05, 2010, 11:14:43 AM
MS will not bother with us low life's.  But you can one up MS by adding an button in the warning message to see the default ie English?
8)

To do that I will need to add a link, and remember what I said about you cannot have any links at all in the warning page

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: EL34 on October 05, 2010, 11:04:47 AM
Any human trying to visit my forum has to be able to read english because all the post are in english so non english warnings make no sense for my needs.
If they can't read english, they would not be able to read any of the post on my forum, so why bother.

Of course, having multiple language warnings may be of interest to other forum admins

That's why I said it's up to you.

Even better, in the next version I can add a variable inside the warning page in case you want to display 2 languages or just one.

That will be more general and will fit most forum admins.

EL34

yes, ok, that sounds good
thanks

butchs

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on October 05, 2010, 11:17:03 AM
To do that I will need to add a link, and remember what I said about you cannot have any links at all in the warning page

Why not?  There is a honeypot link?

Besides it can be encoded in the page.

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: butchs on October 05, 2010, 12:04:53 PM
Quote from: snoopy_virtual on October 05, 2010, 11:17:03 AM

Why not?  There is a honeypot link?

Besides it can be encoded in the page.

OMG butchs. After all this time you still don't know how my warning page works?

butchs

I know, just have another point of view.
O:)

Sea Mac

I tried updating all 4 of my SMF 1.1.11 forums to the latest version of httpBL and discovered that this MOD is not compatible with the SMF Arcade MOD ....  :(

http://www.smfarcade.info/ http://about.smfarcade.info/

I get this Error:  Type            Action                                             Description
1.     Execute Modification     ./Sources/ManagePermissions.php     Test failed

The 2 Forums that DID NOT have The Arcade MOD Installed upgraded to the latest version of httpBL without problem. This MOD is compatible with the AVEA 1.3a MOD / the Hide Info Center MOD / and the Re-Captcha MODs. The Arcade MOD was the only deal breaker. 

I also found a 1 word Typo in the English part of the Warning page.

Thanks again for all your good work! This is one of the more important SMF MODs!

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: Sea Mac on October 11, 2010, 01:36:22 AM
I tried updating all 4 of my SMF 1.1.11 forums to the latest version of httpBL and discovered that this MOD is not compatible with the SMF Arcade MOD ....  :(

Try installing the file attached. It's exactly MOD httpBL 2.4 but with a small modification to make it compatible with SMF Arcade 2.0.18 (the latest version they have)

If it give you no problem tell me and I will add also that modification to future versions.

You will have a small problem here though. If you ever need to upgrade SMF Arcade you will need to remember to do this:

• Uninstall mod httpBL
  • Uninstall old version of SMF Arcade
  • Install new version of SMF Arcade
  • Install again mod httpBL

Always in that order.

Quote from: Sea Mac on October 11, 2010, 01:36:22 AM

I also found a 1 word Typo in the English part of the Warning page.

Cannot see it. Tell me where it is so I can correct it as well.

Thanks

EL34

He is probably talking about the word "Dynamic" as I mentioned in one of my post above

You have it spelled dinamic in the text portion and also your variables are spelled dinamic
Of course the variable names are fine, they still work spelled any way you like

snoopy_virtual

I see.

Yes, I remember you saying something about "dynamic" before, but I was too concentrated on something else and forgot completely.

OK, I will correct that in next version. Thanks.  ;)

Sea Mac

That fixed it .... I think.
I Am using Arcade Version 2.0.16 instead of 2.0.18 - but it installed OK!
Thank You VERY Much!

But I think I have another Problem. At least two of my forums aren't using the default theme and, in those forums, no Spammers have appeared in the Log since I installed it. The "Spammers stopped by MOD httpBL" number has not increased either, since then.  But the Old Version was working fine in these 2 forums ....

I cleared ALL the log entries after I installed the new version (in 2 forums - yesterday - and 2 more just now) and No Spammers have been caught since then in the Forums with a Custom Theme.

Why are my logs staying empty when I WAS getting hundreds of entries, per day, before this?

I worry this new version is not working in custom themed forums. 2.4 is Installed on all 4 forums now and no spammers are being blocked in the forums with a non-default theme now. (Or at least they are not being logged.)

Did I need to modify anything in my Custom Themed Forums to get the log entries back?

Sea Mac

snoopy, is it your MOD, or the OS_Browser_Detection MOD, (Or both), that are incompatible with that old Who.template.php MOD? http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=19243.0

I still miss having each page sorted into Users/Guests/Spiders categories even though it is really cool to be able to see the OS & User Agent displayed for each IP ....

And I've only dabbled in php so far .... But I think they could just be interleaved or something ...

Thank You!

Sea Mac

Quote from: Sea Mac on October 11, 2010, 04:30:25 PM
That fixed it .... I think.
I Am using Arcade Version 2.0.16 instead of 2.0.18 - but it installed OK!
Thank You VERY Much!

But I think I have another Problem. At least two of my forums aren't using the default theme and, in those forums, no Spammers have appeared in the Log since I installed it. The "Spammers stopped by MOD httpBL" number has not increased either, since then.  But the Old Version was working fine in these 2 forums ....

I cleared ALL the log entries after I installed the new version (in 2 forums - yesterday - and 2 more just now) and No Spammers have been caught since then in the Forums with a Custom Theme.

Why are my logs staying empty when I WAS getting hundreds of entries, per day, before this?

I worry this new version is not working in custom themed forums. 2.4 is Installed on all 4 forums now and no spammers are being blocked in the forums with a non-default theme now. (Or at least they are not being logged.)

Did I need to modify anything in my Custom Themed Forums to get the log entries back?
Wait ....I think it is working again. I took a bunch of screen shots of confused Package Manager behavior ....

but now at least one of those forums has log entries again.

Maybe I am barking at ghosts ....

Advertisement: