News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Important Notice: Do you use Filezilla? Avatars and Attachments lost?

Started by AncientDragonfly, April 02, 2010, 11:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeeKira

you all are bringing back memories.  I still have a working Commodore 64  :)

Thanks for posting this.. It is helpful for those of us who would otherwise not know such things and be banging head on table.

Chalky

I'm confused!  I get the bit about checking the ASCII box to transfer all files and folders except Attachments and Avatars, and then unchecking the box to transfer those folders separately.... but then you all start going on about binary!  I've left the Auto option checked throughout the whole backup as per the picture in the first post of the thread - should I have changed this to Binary as well?

Does anyone know if this is also an issue when backing up Wordpress files?

wardrobechoice

Thank you for your post!This can help a lot of people who doesn't know what to do on such situation.

live627

Quote from: Sabrinova on April 22, 2012, 09:53:31 AM
I'm confused!  I get the bit about checking the ASCII box to transfer all files and folders except Attachments and Avatars, and then unchecking the box to transfer those folders separately.... but then you all start going on about binary!  I've left the Auto option checked throughout the whole backup as per the picture in the first post of the thread - should I have changed this to Binary as well?

Does anyone know if this is also an issue when backing up Wordpress files?
set everything to binary and you'll be fine. ASCII changes the line endings, and binary does not.

jonyparks

Ya i use filezilla.For transferring a site in Live i think it no 1

gerzok

Wooooow thanks for share this info. Now i know why happens this :/

lindaf

I am very grateful this post was stickied!  I would have had no clue about any of this!  Thanks many times over!! :)

My question is same as above.   Do I also uncheck it for avatars folder?  You mention to uncheck it for attachments directory but didn't mention avatars folder.  I'm just assuming to also uncheck it for avatars folder since avatars are the topic subject.

AncientDragonfly

You can just transfer everything as binary and it will be ok, as Arantor says here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=374178.msg2610981#msg2610981

Or use your host's cpanel filemanager to make a zip file of everything, then download the zip.  If you do this, make sure to read the popup window that shows what has been zipped because any error messages will show up in here.  (For instance, if you don't have enough space for the zip file in your web space, it will fail.)

SatTrkr

Thank you all for this thread as I had the very same problem. Godaddy was able to restore my forum directory from a backup and I have now moved it to my new domain name correctly and all now works okay. I thought, for a moment, I had lost all of my attachments and avatars but this thread alerted me to the problem and I was able to recover. That was a close call!
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Colin

Glad to hear all is working now, SatTrkr. Let us know if you have any other issues.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

GRoberts

Thanks for the fix. I was worried that I'd lost all my photos and avatars after I moved hosts.
I just reuploaded my 'attachments' folder contents in 'binary' rather that 'ACSII'

FYI - my filezilla options was under 'Transfer > Transfer Type > select Binary'.

suhaneankit

I am using FileZilla 3.10.2 version the option 'Treat Files Without Extension' is checked by default. Do i need to uncheck it ?
I don't thinks so because i have been using same settings since long without any problem in my SMF forum like Avatar, Images etc you mentioned.
Correct me if i am wrong.
Hoping for a reply. Thanks :)
7 Steps IRCTC Registration IRCTC Registration in 7 Steps
Check PNR Status IRCTC PNR Status

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

pocttopus

If understood correctly, I need to use these settings for the whole forum-folders except for attachments?

For attachments folder these are the settings?

Please correct me if I'm wrong... thanks!  :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

In most cases, you should be fine using binary or auto for everything really. Just as long as the attachment files (or other non-text files) don't get sent as ASCII.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

pocttopus

In some previous backups I have lost avatars and attachments and the settings were to default (auto/checked ASCII file).
Now if I set to binary and leave checked ASCII file would be fine?
Or I must also unchecked ASCII file? :-\

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You should be able to use the settings in your second picture for everything.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

pocttopus

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: