News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Ignore Topics/Mark as Read all the time/Unsubscribe topic

Started by Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R), April 09, 2010, 10:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

With about a million topics arising at various SMF forums every day, not everyone likes to go back to the topics they have posted, everytime it gets updated. Once their job to look into it is done, they no longer wish to see it in their "Show new replies to your posts" or "Show new replies to your posts".

It becomes really annoying to look into a topic something related to reviews, suggestion or support topic again and again whenever it gets bumped after your own issue is sorted and the input is added.

Take an example of the modifications support topics in SMF. We keep on getting the links in our "Show new replies to your posts" and "Show new replies to your posts" every time a new user posts in. After we get our solution, we no longer are interested in what actually goes in there.

What I would like is any of these functionality that can do the job:

• Ignore the topic so its not seen until removed from the ignore list (maybe set in the profile)
  • Mark the topic as read all the time automatically. (This might be something that would be permanent, as I don't have a clue to how to undo it)
  • Unsubscribe link in every topic. (Have a subscribe link to get the links back in the unread replies/threads if needed by the user)

Is there anything as such in development? A modification that can be brought out by SMF or someone else? Maybe add it as a feature for SMF 2.1 ?

More Ideas are welcomed, I might modify the topic on timely basis so we can look into how much better can this feature get.

Edit: Fixed typos. Lots of mistakes in writing the content. I should have not written this topics when I was sleepy :P

flapjack

was asking about such thing the other day, but never made a proper request. consider this seconded :)

~DS~

Was told it was alot of coding and database work. It's sad SMF doesn't have the Subscribe/Unsubscribe feature.
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Quote from: Dismal Shadow on April 09, 2010, 11:02:45 PM
Was told it was alot of coding and database work. It's sad SMF doesn't have the Subscribe/Unsubscribe feature.

It is quite essential to have one. It should be developed over the time if it is too much of coding and database work. Its not a bigger project then SMF of course. ;)

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Arantor

The reason it can't/won't be implemented here (and this was discussed at length in the team boards) is performance. The mod works but on larger forums (bear in mind, we have 240k or so users here, and best part of two and a half million posts) there starts to be a real performance penalty.

IIRC the mod had a limit by default of ignoring 10 topics. An alternative was posted by me to the mod's support topic.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Lets think of an alternative here then. It is a good tool to be used by users who run around a million topics in the forum.

Arantor

I DID think of an alternative, I even posted it in the mod's thread as an attachment.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Can you like talk about it here? So if they haven't created something which you suggested, there might be other potential coders who might make the mod and it will help SMF implement it.

Arantor

Not really, since everything you need to know is covered in the mod's thread and at far greater length in the team boards; trust me, the team KNOW about this and have been asking for it for a long time. karlbenson/vbgamer's mod won't be adopted because of the performance limitations it adds, my mod is a quick hack that solves the problem inelegantly but effectively.

kat

Oddly enough, I asked for this in one of the team boards, a while back.

I'm sure I miss loads of stuff, wading through language-specific posts and the like.

Good shout, (F.L.A.M.E.R)!

Arantor

Kat, Karl wrote the mod for 2.0 b3, updated it for 2.0 RC1 and it sat in the team boards for ages after without anyone taking it any further because of the performance concerns with it.

kat

Arantor

Quote from: Arantor on April 10, 2010, 02:19:46 PM
I DID think of an alternative, I even posted it in the mod's thread as an attachment.

kat

Then code a new mod, from scratch!

Slacker!  

No point... It won't be approved before 2012... ;)

Arantor

The one I posted in the mod thread was from scratch, btw... :P

kat

Ah, yeah. Not submitted as a mod, in it's own right, though...

You can't fool me, I'm too stupid. ;)

Arantor

No, because 1) it's not finished not that I can bothered to finish it, and 2) I planned it as a paid mod, but given vbgamer updated Karl's for 2.0 RC3, I didn't see the point anyway, hence released it as is.

Advertisement: