SMF to vB4.0.2 to vB4.0.3 to SMF

Started by jonsidneyb, April 13, 2010, 04:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonsidneyb

My forum was on SMF since 2006, we moved to vB4.0.2 a little more than a month ago then to vB4.0.3.  I think this was one of the worst mistakes I ever made in my life.  My members hated the change, the bugs were so heavy that many are calling the forum unusable.  From a member side I never had complaints about the old SMF site.  I wish I had never moved.

I wonder how hard it is to go back.  Has anyone made this move?

Antes

you can use vB 3.7 to SMF ( 1.1.11 or 2 ) , ( first try then use on live )

jonsidneyb

I am on vB 4.0.2  there is not a way to easily go from 4.02 to 3.7

Antes

no no i mean conventer vB 3.7 to SMF , you dont need to convert your forum vB4 to vB3.7 .

Norv

Indeed, as Antes says, the converter from vbulletin 3.7 to SMF (specially to SMF 2.0 RC3) should mostly work for vbulletin 4.0, with two observations: I think we didn't manage to verify at all the last two minor versions (4.0.2 and 4.0.3), so I'm afraid you may need to simply test and see if it works (nothing wrong will happen, it only works or it doesn't), and, on the other hand, there is a problem with attachments in vbulletin 4.0 which may not import correctly. Again, my advice would be to try and see.
Eventually, please see: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=375467.msg2580397#msg2580397 (for a possible adjustment the converter from 3.7 may need, to be used with 4.0).
Converting to SMF
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

wynnyelle

Do you have an old backup of the database you had just before the move off of SMF?

If you do, maybe ask your members if they'd be willing to revert back to it, even at the loss of the posts. This is if that'd be okay with you and if conversion back to SMF would be impossible or just too much trouble.

This is just another idea I had for you.

jonsidneyb

Quote from: Groovystar on April 30, 2010, 12:20:42 AM
Do you have an old backup of the database you had just before the move off of SMF?

If you do, maybe ask your members if they'd be willing to revert back to it, even at the loss of the posts. This is if that'd be okay with you and if conversion back to SMF would be impossible or just too much trouble.

This is just another idea I had for you.

I don't think they would be ok with losing the posts.  I moved to vB4 on February 24th.  When I am ready I will see if it can convert back to SMF.

Advertisement: