News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

SMF 1.0.4 released

Started by Grudge, June 05, 2005, 09:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mennou

i am having some strange problem..  some part on my forum.. it doesn' t allow people  to post or reply. How can  i fix that??  let them see the new topic or reply

Grudge

Sounds like you've set some permissions incorrectly. For one of these members click on their profile, then "Show Permissions". This will show you what permissions they have where.
I'm only a half geek really...

ChaosEnergy

Hi

at the moment I have FasterParseCode installed, only to get the LanguageTag Mod run.
Is there a way to get the LanguageTag mod running without faster parse code?

cause we have a multilanguage forum, it is a nice feature to add eg board rulez in different langauges, but the user only sees iths selcted language
Chaos Empire ®

mennou

how can i set up a permission for  members  who are not posting on my forum?  i want them to post 1st b4  they  view or reply to their  messages.. how can i do that??

Thantos

use a post count based permission then

mennou

how can i do that??    sorry if i ask.. i am  kind of new to this...   can u tell me the steps please

Gary

Its in the Manage Membergroups area of the Admin Center. At the bottom click the New Post Related Membergroup (something to that effect) make a group that requires 1 post. You could give it the same number of stars.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

mennou

i see this one

Edit Group - Newbie
Group name: 
Color in online list: 
Number of star images: 
Star image filename:
(starting off theme URL/images, you can use $language for the language of the user.)   
:   
:   
:   
:   
:   
Max personal messages:
(0 = unlimited) 

Thantos

Admin -> Edit Permissions

mennou

i am on there but  how can i force them to post  b4 to read  message..  it doesn't give me that ...

woehrl

Quote from: Grudge on June 10, 2005, 04:29:48 PM
woehrl,

Delete the member directly from their profile.
I do this directly through there Profile, i don't even know how do it else where!

Please Help!

ShadowStriker

Just upload the update package, and try reinstalling your old mods.

yah i know... thats the part that wont work... it says its corrupted or something....

Daniel D.

Quote from: mennou on June 10, 2005, 06:40:01 PM
i am on there but  how can i force them to post  b4 to read  message..  it doesn't give me that ...
This isn't possible.

You're new to all this and complaining so much?!? Boy, if you don't take time and learn a little bit about board software, it's options and possiblities, I won't accept your screams and cries here. This is not a software for "kids", you've to learn all the features. So set up a test forum and play with it. Read yourself through the online help (questionmarks throughout the board) or read the topics and boards here.

Grudge

Quote from: ShadowStriker on June 11, 2005, 04:21:45 AM
Just upload the update package, and try reinstalling your old mods.

yah i know... thats the part that wont work... it says its corrupted or something....
Ahhh... I see what you're doing.

The update package on the download page here is *not* for installation through the Package Manager. The package manager only installs special "packages" - the download page is a full SMF update and has to be installed the old fashioned way (i.e through FTP). Basically, download the package to your home PC, and extract it. Then FTP the files to your forum - overwriting the old ones.

As I said previously, if you've modified your theme at all (For example, changing the colours or banner) I would *highly* recommend you *don't* overwrite the two files called index.template.php and style.css which sit in the Themes/default directory of your forum. Once you've overwritten all the files your forum with be at 1.0.4 but you will have had all your mods uninstalled. At this point you can start reinstalling your mods.

To be honest, when you have as many mods as you, it's probably quite a good idea once in a while to do this as it's something like a spring clean :) A guide can be found here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/readme_update.html

Sorry if I wasn't being very clear before.

Grudge

ShadowStriker

nm, one question, why isnt it compatible with package manager  ???

ShadowStriker

if i do this will i lose any boards, posts, members, or banner or something? will i lose all the pins for the members map? all the games and highscores for the smf  arcade?

Gary

Boards, Posts, Members you wont lose them at all, those are stored in the MySQL database.

As for banner, I'm not sure, if you overwrite it then yes, (i.e. smflogo.jpg)

As for Pins on Members Map and High Scores. I'm not sure.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Grudge

ShadowStriker,

Right - we do two types of updates, package updates and full updates.

A "Package Update" is a small update to go from one version to another - it just contains the differences between two versions (For example 1.0.3 to 1.0.4). This will work for the vast majority of people - but just like any other mod if it conflicts with an existing mod the install will fail (Here for example the update conflicted with the Faster Parsecode Mod and Spam-Me-Not - and maybe others).

If the Package Update fails the only way to update it to upload a clean set of files for the latest version. If you do this it's necessary to upload a "Full Set" of clean files - otherwise existing mods will get half overwritten and half not - which would be awful. So basically, that "update" package has a full set of Sources files, Themes files and a few others. One of the side-effects of uploading these "clean" files is it erases all the information about previous installation of mods - as they are no longer installed.

So, why can't we do this through the package manager? We probably could I guess, although it would be a lot more work for us to Package. Also, it would mean chmod'ing every file and directory to 777 which is a lot of work for some people. In addition, it will leave the Package Manager not understanding how to uninstall the modification - as there is no way back. Maybe in the future we could allow the Package Manager to do something with these archives but really it will always be much easier to use FTP.

EDIT: You won't lose any data for mods. You will just lose the changes they made to the files. As soon as you install the mods back again all your original data will return. Remember - don't uninstall the mods first, simply upload the update, and it will wipe your installed list back to nothing - then just start reinstalling the original mods.

ShadowStriker

ok, so i switch all the update folders with the original folders?

Advertisement: