News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Define BBC

Started by vbgamer45, May 20, 2010, 04:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbgamer45

Link to the mod

Define BBC

Author: S-M-F Modders Team
Latest Version: 1.2
Compatible With SMF: 1.1.11, 1.1.12, 2.0 RC3, 2.0 RC4

Summary

The define BBC mod allows you to define words within a post, by simply wrapping the define BBC tags around any word.

Primary Tags:
[define]Simple Machines[/define]

Alternative Tags:
[define=Simple Machines]What's up?[/define]

Note that no tags may be nested inside the [define][/define] tags or it will break the link.

SMFModders.com, nor any of it's team is affiliated with Dictionary.com.

Languages

Installation

Package Manager should work in most cases. If you need to make any edits, the full list can be obtained from the Parse function on the right.

Useful links
Manual Installation Of Mods
How Do I Modify Files?

Support

Questions should be addressed to the designated support topic for the mod on SMFModders.com.

Mod Support Board

1.3 Changelog

+) 1.1.12 Compatibility Added
+) 2.0 RC4 Compatibility Added
+) Multiple Bugfixes

Files modified by Define BBC

SMF 2.0 RC3, & SMF 2.0 RC4
Source Files (./Sources)
  • Subs.php
  • Subs-Editor.php
Language Files (./Themes/default/languages)
  • Modifications.english.php
Files Added
  • define_bbc.gif added to $imagesdir/bbc
SMF 1.1.11, & SMF 1.1.12
Source Files (./Sources)
  • Subs.php
Template Files (./Themes/default)
  • Post.template.php
Language Files (./Themes/default/languages)
  • Modifications.english.php
Files Added
  • define_bbc.gif added to $imagesdir/bbc

Link to Mod | Support the S-M-F Modders Team

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Liam.

You're 30th mod? You're equal to Karlbenson on number's now, congrats ;)

Looks good, but a screenshot to show how this displays would be nice - is it a hover-over tooltip, or a link, or what? It wasn't defined (haha, the irony of me using that word in this mod ;)) at all...

Matthew K.

Thank you very much, Liam!

I attached a screenshot to the modsite, for some reason it hasn't showed up. I will go ahead and attach one to the first post.
Labradoodle-360
Quote from: Liam. on May 20, 2010, 04:47:39 PM
You're 30th mod? You're equal to Karlbenson on number's now, congrats ;)

Looks good, but a screenshot to show how this displays would be nice - is it a hover-over tooltip, or a link, or what? It wasn't defined (haha, the irony of me using that word in this mod ;)) at all...

JBlaze

Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Afro

Good piece of mod. I usually do this a lot manually.
I recommend that this be included in the default bbc buttons of SMF.
I am going to make a small request which you can ignore .

I think it will be good to underline or bold every defined Word.

petabyte

when i get my forum up and running - this mod is on the install list.  The applications for education and technical type forums is immense - good work Labradoodle-360!

SoLoGHoST

While this seems like it could be a very useful bbc mod, how does one break out of a defined word?  For example:

Quote[define]Word[/define]
I am in no way affiliated with dictionary.com
Now I don't want this line to be included in the definition of "Word"

Or am I understanding this wrong?  Perhaps it would be cooler if the word and definition was encased within a rectangular box, for example the same rectangular box used for usergroups and BBC Tags in the SMF Admin Panel.  But, instead of checkboxes inside of them, it will be the definition, and as an added bonus, you could expand and/or collapse the definition by clicking on the Word.  This would be way cool.  So that way you can sort of expand and collapse the word's definition if and as needed.  And could even add an extra bbc setting for it to be expanded/collapsed by default.

So than it could look like this instead:
[define]Word[definition]I am in no way affiliated with dictionary.com[/definition][/define]

or, better yet, this:
[define][word]Word[/word][definition=collapsed]I am in no way affiliated with dictionary.com[/definition][/define]

I like the 2nd option better, and if collapsed wasn't defined for the definition than it would be automatically expanded.

In any case, Congrats on your mod :)

Matthew K.

I am a little confused as to what your idea would function like...but I will definitely consider expanding this mod.

SoLoGHoST

Ok, Here's an SMF page with a great example for you...

Go to:  [your SMF test forum directory path]/index.php?action=admin;area=membergroups;sa=settings

Now where it says:   
[ Select permissions for each group ]

Click on it, now you will see how it looks (in a box)...

Now instead of checkboxes in there for your groups, picture seeing the definition in there instead.  And instead of seeing this as the header for the box:
[ Select permissions for each group ]
Picture seeing the actual word that is being defined instead.

Now, imagine that inside of the actual post where users can click on it to expand it, exactly the same way you clicked on it to show the groups within a box-like design.  Now that would be cool.  And consider the 2nd option I posted above for the BBC code of this when posting, here it is again:
[define][word]Word[/word][definition=collapse]I am in no way affiliated with dictionary.com[/definition][/define]
You can also just use collapse instead of collapsed.  Whatever is fine.

Well, if you still don't understand after doing this than I'm sorry, I can't be anymore precise in my explanation of this.

Cheers :)

Matthew K.

Before I look into what you're suggesting, do you realize that this simply links to the word in a dictionary, rather than putting the actual definition inline?

SoLoGHoST

Well, no I didn't realize that it uses an actual dictionary for the word.  Does this have to be installed?  What dictionary does it use?  And even in such a case where it is using a dictionary, you should still wrap it up somehow.  Because, if you don't, as I continue typing on the next line, it could be taken that what I type on the next line is part of the actual definition of the word when it is not.

However, looking at the pics you attached seems to imply that you type in your own definition...

SoLoGHoST

Oh, wait, I'm sorry, so the BBC doesn't allow you to type in your own definition?  Instead it links to another site for the definition... arggg.

I would than consider that you have 2 forms of BBC, user-defined definitions, and link definitions.  You could have it so that there is no need for the other tags, and can work exactly the same as it does now than as:

Link definition:
[define]Word[/define]

And than for user-defined definitions:
[define][word]Word[/word][definition=collapse]Here is my user-defined definition of "Word".[/definition][/define]

And can wrap up user-defined definitions inside a box-like area much like groups.  Just a suggestion.

Sorry, I completely misunderstood this mod.  Still useful, but not what I expected.

EDIT:  Honestly, I'm against linking to other sites for stuff like that.  In that case you can even make a Google search link bbc, but is it really becoming that terrible where people can't type in what they want to search for in google?  In any case, browsers offer extensions that have this ability to have definitions of words in a tooltip as you hover your mouse over them.  This is a bit more convenient though, IMO, irritating, as almost everything you mouseover has a tooltip associated with it... argg.

MS Modders Team

Define BBC 1.2 Released!

Changelog:
Quote+) 1.1.12 Compatibility Added
+) 2.0 RC4 Compatibility Added
+) Multiple Bugfixes

Highly suggested that you update.

Enjoy,
The SMF Modders Team
Please do not send us PMs. If you have a question, ask in our forum.
http://smfmodders.com/index.php

Apllicmz

Nice Work
when Update dont forget portuguese

<file name="$themedir/languages/Modifications.portuguese_pt.php" error="skip">
        <operation>
            <search position="end"></search>
            <add><![CDATA[
// SMF Modders; Define BBC translate by candidosa2
$txt['define_a_word'] = 'Definir uma palavra';
// End SMF Modders; Define BBC
]]></add>
        </operation>
    </file>
    <file name="$themedir/languages/Modifications.portuguese_pt-utf8.php" error="skip">
        <operation>
            <add><![CDATA[
]]></add>
        </operation>
    </file>
    <file name="$themedir/languages/Modifications.portuguese_brazilian.php" error="skip">
        <operation>
            <add><![CDATA[
]]></add>
        </operation>
    </file>
    <file name="$themedir/languages/Modifications.portuguese_brazilian-utf8.php" error="skip">
        <operation>
            <add><![CDATA[
]]></add>
        </operation>
    </file>

Matthew K.

Sure, thank you for your translation.

Advertisement: