News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

1.1 Converters

Started by Grudge, June 15, 2005, 04:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goetzi

I tried the new version uf the wbb2 converter, but it seems not working very well. The attachments are copied to the SMF-folder, but appart from this, nothing happens. There are no new entries in the SMF-tables in the database, the forum looks like before I ran the converter.

Maybe it's a bug, maybe I did something wrong. Can I give you (the developers of the converter) some more information (which information?) that helps you? I will do my best to support you with this converter.

goetzi

[Unknown]

Quote from: goetzi on July 06, 2005, 06:07:28 AM
I tried the new version uf the wbb2 converter, but it seems not working very well. The attachments are copied to the SMF-folder, but appart from this, nothing happens. There are no new entries in the SMF-tables in the database, the forum looks like before I ran the converter.

Maybe it's a bug, maybe I did something wrong. Can I give you (the developers of the converter) some more information (which information?) that helps you? I will do my best to support you with this converter.

Try it again.  As I said above, if you used the converter while in debugging mode, you'll need to go to:

convert.php?debug=0

Quote from: VTX on July 06, 2005, 08:58:37 AM
I downloaded the new convert.php, result:

Duplicate entry '18-17-modify_own' for key 1

You're not using the new converter yet.

Quote from: s9jeremiah on July 06, 2005, 05:38:31 AM
did that but that is not the actual result I was looking for.  That just removed the message counts..    I don't want rid of the counts, I want the messages associated with those copied over.  I have not found them in any other forum, they just don't seem to be in here?

I'll do another port to try again and see if it works this round.

Is there a "Salvage Board" anywhere?  Is it only that board which is missing posts?

-[Unknown]

davo88

phpbb2 to smf 1.1 - Lower post count in SMF

As mentioned above, my conversion using the latest convert.php and phpbb2_to_smf.sql was completely successful. However there were 3 less posts in the post count of SMF compared to the original phpBB.

So I ran "Find and repair any errors" as [Unknown] suggested and it identified 3 empty posts. I then looked at the original topics for these missing posts in phpBB and checked every post that appeared in phpBB also appeared in SMF - they matched exactly. The three missing posts were not visible so I went ahead and let SMF fix the errors.

I have one member who frequently makes posts then deletes them. He was active in all three topics. So I believe the SMF forum is now cleaner and more accurate than the original phpBB.

s9jeremiah

Quote from:  Unknown
Quote from: s9jeremiah on July 06, 2005, 05:38:31 AM
did that but that is not the actual result I was looking for.  That just removed the message counts..    I don't want rid of the counts, I want the messages associated with those copied over.  I have not found them in any other forum, they just don't seem to be in here?

I'll do another port to try again and see if it works this round.

Is there a "Salvage Board" anywhere?  Is it only that board which is missing posts?

-[Unknown]

by "Salvage Board" do you mean the original phpBB I am porting from?  If so, yep.  I can send you the link if you like - (via PM or email would be preferred at this point if that is ok).  I am really wanting to do a test run of the port - do some thorough testing to make sure everything is kosher then I will probably do the port again just before I am ready for the new forums to go live.  The old ones are staying up until that point.

I have even created a new forum and moved 5 of the topics into it before I ran the port script and although the new forum was created in the port, the topics within had the same fate.  very strange.  I think they are cursed. ;)

I am actually looking into coding the update sql for those 2 troublesome forums but would like to get the script fixed too incase you guys hit this problem with someone else in the future.

zigie

My conversion has worked too. Actually, later on after I adjusted all the settings, the smilies from phpBB apeared as well, so I guess converter did move them. Everything seems to be in order. :D

There's only one thing I can't figure out yet. I can't seem to be able to add attachments to the posts. Maybe I just don't know how to do it... I can't seem to find an option to add attachment anywhere. I set all permissions to allow it, though.

Any ideas? Am I missing something stupid, or is it a bug?

Edit: Nevermind my question. I found the answer as soon as I did a search.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=19839.0

[Unknown]

Quote from: goetzi on July 06, 2005, 05:08:06 PM
He is ignoring Forums/Subforums.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to send me (or just post) a dump of your "bb?_boards" table, could you?  I might very well be able to fix it with data; the problem is that I don't have an actual copy of Burning Board 2 to work with.

Quote from: s9jeremiah on July 06, 2005, 05:24:55 PM
by "Salvage Board" do you mean the original phpBB I am porting from?  If so, yep.  I can send you the link if you like - (via PM or email would be preferred at this point if that is ok).  I am really wanting to do a test run of the port - do some thorough testing to make sure everything is kosher then I will probably do the port again just before I am ready for the new forums to go live.  The old ones are staying up until that point.

Well, what I meant was - if the posts *were* converted, but something went wrong, running a "repair all forum errors" would put the posts in a "Salvage Board" in SMF.  I assume you see nothing of the sort, then?

VTX, yes... the converter isn't designed to work off a moving forum, at least not well.  What probably happened is someone deleted a post, making the converter die in surprise!

I think I've fixed the board_permissions error.  I'll be updating the first post in a few minutes - can you try it then?

I should note that if the converter isn't allowed to complete, that number will be off.  Try a "recount all forum totals and statistics" to correct it, in that case.

I should also note that I spent much of yesterday testing these converters.  With basic installs and test data, the following versions worked fine:

Burning Board Lite 1.0.2
MercuryBoard 1.1.4
MiniBB 2.0 RC3a
MyBulletinBoard 1.0 RC4
Oxygen 1.1.3
phpBB 2.0.16
Phorum 5.0.16
PunBB 1.2.5
Simpleboard 1.0.4
Snitz 3.4.05
UBB.threads 6.5.1.1-trial
UseBB 0.5.1
XMB 1.9.1
YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.4
YaBB SE 1.5.5c

-[Unknown]

Trekkie101

Got an error from a conversion from minibb to SMF

QuoteConverting...
Converting members...
Notice: Undefined variable: admin_usr in /home/trekkie1/public_html/forums/minibb-smf/convert.php(577) : eval()'d code on line 7

Notice: Undefined variable: Tu in /home/trekkie1/public_html/forums/minibb-smf/convert.php(577) : eval()'d code on line 8
Unsuccessful!
This query:

SELECT
    user_id AS ID_MEMBER, username AS memberName, username AS realName,
    UNIX_TIMESTAMP(user_regdate) AS dateRegistered, user_email AS emailAddress,
    UNIX_TIMESTAMP(user_regdate) AS lastLogin, user_from AS location,
    user_password AS passwd, user_icq AS ICQ, user_website AS websiteTitle,
    user_website AS websiteUrl, IF(user_viewemail = 1, 0, 1) AS hideEmail,
    num_posts AS posts, IF('' = username, 1, 0) AS ID_GROUP
    FROM `trekkie1_minibb`.
    LIMIT 0, 500;

Caused the error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'LIMIT 0, 500' at line 9

Grudge

Trekkie,

It worked fine for me. Can you confirm that you have those variables in setup_options.php (minibb directory)

$Tf='bminibbtable_forums';
$Tp='bminibbtable_posts';
$Tt='bminibbtable_topics';
$Tu='bminibbtable_users';
$Ts='bminibbtable_send_mails';
$Tb='bminibbtable_banned';

$admin_usr='admin';
I'm only a half geek really...

Trekkie101

Aaah.

I had downloaded convert.php the other day, I forgot about it, downloaded it again, Firefox called it convert-1, but I uploaded the old version (The one that caused problems a few pages back) and ran it, when I relised, I changed, and its just this minute converted perfectly http://t101.bravehosting.net/forums/minibb-smf/index.php

Ill clean my desktop to avoid it in future.

[Unknown]

The converter is designed for SMF 1.1, and you are using SMF 1.0.

You're also using a bit older version than is posted in the first topic.

-[Unknown]

davo88

phpbb 2.0.16 to smf 1.1 - Avatars and smilies not displaying.

This is a repeat conversion of one I did earlier. I thought the avatars converted successfully the first time but not sure about the smilies.

I uploaded a fresh copy of smf 1.1, the latest converter files, deleted the smf tables from the database and ran the conversion again. The converter reports a successful conversion...

QuoteConverting...
Converting ranks... Successful.
Converting groups... Successful.
Converting members... Successful.
Converting additional member groups... Successful.
Converting categories... Successful.
Converting boards... Successful.
Converting topics... Successful.
Converting posts (this may take some time)... Successful.
Converting poll questions... Successful.
Converting polls options... Successful.
Converting polls options... Successful.
Converting personal messages (step 1)... Successful.
Converting personal messages (step 2)... Successful.
Converting topic notifications... Successful.
Converting board access... Successful.
Converting group access... Successful.
Converting avatar gallery images... Successful.
Converting censored words... Successful.
Converting reserved names... Successful.
Converting banned users... Successful.
Converting settings... Successful.
Converting attachment mod (if installed)... Successful.
Recalculating forum statistics... Successful.

Conversion Complete
Congratulations, the conversion has completed sucessfully. If you have or had any problems with this converter, or need help using SMF, please feel free to look to us for support.
Now that everything is converted over, your SMF installation should have all the posts, boards, and members from the phpBB2 installation.

We hope you had a smooth transition!

The avatars have been copied across to the attachments directory with names like - avatar_2.gif, avatar_4.jpg etc - but they don't display. Should they be displaying? ... or do we need to re-link to them in each member's profiles?

The smilies aren't mentioned in the above conversion report. Should they have been converted or do we need to do something else?

[Unknown]

Quote from: davo88 on July 09, 2005, 06:00:41 PM
The avatars have been copied across to the attachments directory with names like - avatar_2.gif, avatar_4.jpg etc - but they don't display. Should they be displaying? ... or do we need to re-link to them in each member's profiles?

The smilies aren't mentioned in the above conversion report. Should they have been converted or do we need to do something else?

I'll check the uploaded avatars - although, they should still be working.  It may be because they don't have a width/height which 1.1 now uses.  If this is the case, none of the converters have been updated and so none should work.

Smileys are not done with the current converter.  How many do you have, anyway?  Seems like it's easy eough to copy them manually...

Quote from: goetzi on July 09, 2005, 09:01:18 PM
@[unknown]
Did you receive the backup of the board? If yes, does it help you?

I did, thanks.  The first post has been updated with a version that works fine on your backup.

-[Unknown]

davo88

Quote from: [Unknown]It may be because they don't have a width/height which 1.1 now uses

That's a width/height tag attached to the image is it?

Quote from: [Unknown]Smileys are not done with the current converter.  How many do you have, anyway?  Seems like it's easy eough to copy them manually...

Well, I just wanted to have all the existing smilies in existing messages display as normal. So I tried uploading the stock phpbb smiley set and installing them as the default smiley set. Put them into this subdirectory ... /Smileys/phpbb/... and made it the default set. Left all the other settings unchanged.

However, they still don't appear in phpbb converted messages. And when I open the post form, the smileys aren't displaying there either - just the red cross, file-not-found image. If I right click and look at the properties, the URL says ... Smileys/phpbb/grin.gif  ...whereas the phpbb file names are all in this format  - icon_smile.gif. And grin.gif is not a phpbb smiley.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like it's looking in the ... /Smileys/phpbb/... directory but trying to use the SMF smiley filenames.  ???

If I check Enable customized smileys: and go into Add Smiley, use the drop down list under Use Existing File, both the SMF and phpbb smilies are all listed there, yet it says (using smiley set: phpbb) ... but it looks like it's using both.  ???

Then if I go into Edit Smileys, it shows phpbb in the little drop down list in the top right hand corner, yet is trying to display all the SMF smileys and giving the red cross file-not-found image. There are no phpbb smileys listed on that page. So in that case, it's still trying to use only the SMF smileys.

Better just leave it like that for the moment - so I don't get any more confused. Maybe I should do a search for smileys and 1.1? - perhaps there's something else going on.

ps... [Unknown], have a look at the code of this message, what am I doing wrong when enclosing your name in a quote tag that stops the right hand bracket displaying properly? Is it using the right hand bracket to close the quote tag? There's a bracket on the first line of the quoted message.

[Unknown]

Quote from: davo88 on July 10, 2005, 04:33:01 AM
Quote from: [Unknown]It may be because they don't have a width/height which 1.1 now uses

That's a width/height tag attached to the image is it?

Well, it can be calculated.  In any case, I found the problem and updated the converters last night.  It wasn't that after all.

Well, I just wanted to have all the existing smilies in existing messages display as normal. So I tried uploading the stock phpbb smiley set and installing them as the default smiley set. Put them into this subdirectory ... /Smileys/phpbb/... and made it the default set. Left all the other settings unchanged.

You have to remember, smileys in SMF are designed so no one sees weird symbols.  For example, if one smiley set has:

:-D

Then they all have to have an image for that; otherwise, some people will see symbols and other people graphics.  This is probably the cause of your problems.

Quoteps... [Unknown], have a look at the code of this message, what am I doing wrong when enclosing your name in a quote tag that stops the right hand bracket displaying properly? Is it using the right hand bracket to close the quote tag? There's a bracket on the first line of the quoted message.

Well, you either have to use:

quote author=[Unknown] link=kljdfklsdjf date=32897

Or:

quote author="[Unknown]"

Or:

quote="[Unknown]"

For the tag.

Quote from: goetzi on July 10, 2005, 05:51:27 AM
@[Unknown]
Thanks! Now the converter is working much better. But there are still a few things that it doesn't do right:

First of all, the attachments are not shown in the posts. Maybe I do something wrong. Did you get this working on my backup?

I thought so; did you get any error messages during the conversion?  Can you try this query?

SELECT *
FROM smf_attachments
LIMIT 5;

What is phpMyAdmin?

QuoteThen there are a few things at the statistic where no value is shown: "Average registrations per day"," Average posts per day", "Average topics per day" and "Most Time Online". I don't know if it's the converters fault or if the WBB doesn't have this data.

These things are not currently converted.  Some can be extrapolated, some cannot - for example, there's probably no way to guess how many average people were online every day.  However, the number of posts per day could be approximated (although with deletions, etc., it would be off.)  Most softwares do not track these statistics at all.

QuoteEdit: It seems the - Tag isn't working too, because in the WBB2 it's written in upper case and in SMF it has to be lower case.

It does?  This works fine for me:

[iMg]http://smf/Themes/default/images/english/help.gif[/ImG]

As it should.  Perhaps the tag is formatted slightly differently in wbb2... I'll look into it.

-[Unknown]

davo88

phpbb 2.0.16 to smf 1.1 - Avatars and Smileys

[Unknown], thanks for the updated phpBB converter - avatars now converting successfully.

Quote from: VTXOk so the converter should now convert avatars from phpBB2 correct?

Yes it converted my forum's avatars OK.

Smileys

I've got a better grip on how the Smiley manager works now and can get whichever Smiley set I want to display in SMF - (although it does seem a bit odd the way you add the new set and then de-select the originals - but that's OK).

The problem in a conversion from phpBB, is that the code used for a phpBB smiley when displayed in SMF, is different from the code used in phpBB.

Using the "twisted" smiley as an example...

- phpBB uses this code to generate the smiley -  :twisted:

- after adding the smiley to SMF, it uses this code to generate the smiley - :icon_twisted: (which is derived from the filename).

So it seems there are two ways to address this...

1. rename the smiley filenames before importing them into SMF so the code SMF derives from the filename is correct eg rename the smiley file icon_twisted.gif to twisted.gif

2. or, after conversion, go through the set of imported phpBB smileys using Edit Smileys and edit the code used by SMF to match the code used originally by phpBB eg change :icon_twisted: to :twisted:

Then they will appear in your converted forum.

davo88

Quote from: VTX... to convert the old site as smooth as possible. What I really need is an option to convert new posts/members since the last conversion. After that I can shutdown the old site and launch the new one based on SMF. Or is there another(or better) way of doing this?

My plan is to test the whole procedure on a trial site until I have every step worked out. Then, close down the phpBB forum for a few hours, or a day if necessary, do the conversion and all the bits and pieces, then open up the new SMF forum.

One of the biggest jobs for me is converting all the internal links and image links. I'm planning on doing this via a search and replace using a text editor on a dump of the freshly converted SMF database, then re-importing it with the revised links.

That seems like it will be the longest and fiddliest step.

s9jeremiah

just wanted to say thank you guys!

the last port from phpbb went very well so I am digging through my full test now.

The only error I have thus far is what I got when I tried to create the Fulltext index.

QuoteDuplicate key name 'subject'
File: /var/www/html/smf/Sources/ManageSearch.php
Line: 189

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 1.1 Beta 3 Public, while your database is at version . The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

[Unknown]

Quote from: davo88 on July 11, 2005, 06:29:07 AM
- phpBB uses this code to generate the smiley -  :twisted:

- after adding the smiley to SMF, it uses this code to generate the smiley - :icon_twisted: (which is derived from the filename).

You can change it manually, as you said, which is a pain.  That, or you can remove all the smileys, and name the files according to the code you want (no icon_ prefix.)

Quote from: s9jeremiah on July 12, 2005, 02:58:01 PM
Duplicate key name 'subject'
File: /var/www/html/smf/Sources/ManageSearch.php
Line: 189

This shouldn't be a problem, and was a bug in SMF 1.1 Beta 3 Public for some versions of MySQL.  That said, you really should upgrade MySQL to a newer version, because SMF will perform much better.

Sorry about not answering questions for some time, I had to get work into other things - I spent a lot of times testing all of the converters several times and rewriting and writing many converters.  Hopefully things are better for it now, but there are a lot of people who want my attention (since I wrote much of the code in SMF.)

I split the following topics off of this one to try to clear things up to make support easier on me and others, and to make it easier for you to communicate back to me:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=42061.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=42063.0

-[Unknown]

bjp

Sorry, I'm almost newbie

Ok, a new smf is install in the same database of a phpbb. What do i do with phpbb2_to_smf ?
Do i have to copy all this file and run it in mysql ? I tried yhis but it's not working.

[Unknown]

Quote from: bjp on July 15, 2005, 02:34:11 PM
Sorry, I'm almost newbie

Ok, a new smf is install in the same database of a phpbb. What do i do with phpbb2_to_smf ?
Do i have to copy all this file and run it in mysql ? I tried yhis but it's not working.

Upload convert.php and phpbb2_to_smf.sql to your webserver, preferrably in the same directory as SMF (although it's okay to put it somewhere else.)  Then, access it via url, like so:

http://www.example.com/forum/convert.php

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: