Password protected forums

Started by Ronald_1938, July 24, 2010, 01:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald_1938

2.0 RC3 is there a way or a Mod. to Password Protect certain forums..

I have two section or forums that I want to have a password to enter, to post in..

Thanks..

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: Oldcrow on July 24, 2010, 01:21:06 PM
2.0 RC3 is there a way or a Mod. to Password Protect certain forums..

I have two section or forums that I want to have a password to enter, to post in..

Thanks..

This would be in Feature Requests, but more likely Mod Requests.

While your waiting for someone to fill that request, you could simply allow only a certain member group access to that board, then only those authorized will see it.

SMF 2.0 RC5

Webhost to New Webhost file transfer service, PM me - Fast transfers

Ronald_1938

I did some searching and,Members have been asking for this Mod. since way back in 2004. It can't be that difficult for a Modder to make and get it approved.

This changing Member Groups is all most can say on here. What's so bad about, a Password Protected Forum, this way if members don't want to enter, then they don't ask for the Password.

There is no easy way to do this with out the Password Protected Forum..

Other web forum providers like IPS have this built in to the databases..Why is SMF lacking so far behind..

CapadY

Quote from: Oldcrow on July 24, 2010, 01:50:05 PM
Other web forum providers like IPS have this built in to the databases..Why is SMF lacking so far behind..

When you think SMF is lacking so far behind, why don't you switch over to IPS ?

Sorry, but this kind of reactions don't realy invite me to help somebody any further.
By the way, I am just a volunteer, just as the rest of the helpers. And I am free to decide if I want to help sombody or not.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Ronald_1938

Quote from: capady on July 24, 2010, 02:11:25 PM
Quote from: Oldcrow on July 24, 2010, 01:50:05 PM

When you think SMF is lacking so far behind, why don't you switch over to IPS ?

Sorry, but this kind of reactions don't realy invite me to help somebody any further.
By the way, I am just a volunteer, just as the rest of the helpers. And I am free to decide if I want to help sombody or not.

I am with IPS have two forums with them.. I also like SMF. I say SMF is lacking behind, because this Mod has been requested numerous time in the last  few years. You'd think after being asked repeatedly SMF would include this in there Database..

I understand your a Volunteer, and I do respect you and the others. I have had plenty of help solving problems from the many people on here. And I will continue asking.. Only way we get anything is to ask.

Sorry to hurt your feelings...

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Well its not really SMF lacking behind then, as its a mod been requested, its called simple machines for a reason, to keep it simple, adding modifications you see at the mod site as featured in core would make things not "simple" anymore. lol

If I were you I would just make a request in the mod request section, as its pretty much your only option.

SMF 2.0 RC5

Webhost to New Webhost file transfer service, PM me - Fast transfers

Ronald_1938

Quote from: ♪ JohnCcCcCc ♫ on July 24, 2010, 02:38:53 PM
Well its not really SMF lacking behind then, as its a mod been requested, its called simple machines for a reason, to keep it simple, adding modifications you see at the mod site as featured in core would make things not "simple" anymore. lol

If I were you I would just make a request in the mod request section, as its pretty much your only option.

Thanks John.. I've searched and I see  a few requests for this Mod.. all to no prevail.. Thats the enjoyable part of having SMF is to make it better..

Well John, thanks for your help.. But its of no use going any further with this question, its been asked and requested so many times, its not going to happen..

Thanks....

searchgr

Try the 'View only boards' mod.
I have already many times suggested that this mod should be a default feature in Smf but....nobody is listening.

Ronald_1938

Quote from: searchgr on July 24, 2010, 03:01:44 PM
Try the 'View only boards' mod.
I have already many times suggested that this mod should be a default feature in Smf but....nobody is listening.

Thanks.. I tried installing on my test board.. Too many errors in it.. I don't think its for 2.0 RC3

But thanks for your help..

searchgr

If is something very important for you, i know someone that can fix it for you. It's a paid service but very cheap.

Ronald_1938

Thanks searchgr, I really appreciate your help, but it's not that important.. I kind of figured more people would want to use this  Password Protected Forum, but I guess I'm wrong, it would sure beat all the hassles of going to everyone's profile and making changes all the time..

Maybe someday in the future some Modder will develpe the Mod..

Thanks...

PurpleCrow

Why not use group requests instead? Then people can request to join the membergroup that gives access to the perticular protected forums and all you have to do is approve/reject the request. This also stops people just sharing passwords.
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

Forums Galore, a brand new Admin Forum is looking for staff to help with the launch. Send me a PM or sign up to Forums Galore if you're interested!

Add your forum to the Forums Galore Community Showcase

Ronald_1938

Quote from: PurpleCrow on July 25, 2010, 09:19:59 AM
Why not use group requests instead? Then people can request to join the membergroup that gives access to the perticular protected forums and all you have to do is approve/reject the request. This also stops people just sharing passwords.

Sorry PurpleCow, this is exactly what I don't want.. It's more of a hassle to go and change profiles all the time. Member wants in, member wants out..

It would be much more effective to have the Password Protected Forum Mod. But for reasons I have no control over, the folks here are dead set against any Mod like this. They want to change members groups and permissions.. Guess they like browsing the profiles and making changes daily, I don't care too.

I'll get by with out this Mod..

Thanks PC for your help and interest in this matter..

PurpleCrow

If you have requestable membergroups you dont have to go into each individual profile - you approve them (you can do it in bulk too) within the Mod CP.

Or you could have free membergroups where people can join or leave as they wish. You dont need to do anything.
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

Forums Galore, a brand new Admin Forum is looking for staff to help with the launch. Send me a PM or sign up to Forums Galore if you're interested!

Ronald_1938

Quote from: PurpleCrow on July 25, 2010, 11:02:21 AM
If you have requestable membergroups you dont have to go into each individual profile - you approve them (you can do it in bulk too) within the Mod CP.

Or you could have free membergroups where people can join or leave as they wish. You dont need to do anything.

QuoteIf you have requestable membergroups you dont have to go into each individual profile - you approve them (you can do it in bulk too) within the Mod CP.

I don't understand the above quote. How can this be setup..Can you explain please.

Thanks..

PurpleCrow

Set up a new usergroup, give this usergroup access to the forum you want to be private, set this usergroup as "Requestable" instead of "Private". Users can then go to their own profile and request to join the usergroup via the "Group Membership" page under "Modify Profile".

Their request will then appear in the Mod CP where you can approve or reject membership requests. If there are more than one you can select them all and approve or request them all at once.
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

Ronald_1938

Quote from: PurpleCrow on July 25, 2010, 11:50:42 AM
Set up a new usergroup, give this usergroup access to the forum you want to be private, set this usergroup as "Requestable" instead of "Private". Users can then go to their own profile and request to join the usergroup via the "Group Membership" page under "Modify Profile".

Their request will then appear in the Mod CP where you can approve or reject membership requests. If there are more than one you can select them all and approve or request them all at once.

OK Thanks PC, I'll give it a try..

Thanks..

Shawnchapp

I use to use another forum board that didn't have the password thing, there is a quick fix for this redirect one of the board you wish to have password protected to an html password page then have that redirect it back to the board you want...
Any man who knows a thing knows
He knows not a damn, damn thing at all
And every time I felt the hurt
And I felt the givin' gettin' me up off the wall

Advertisement: