News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How can I convert from MyBB 1.6 to SMF?

Started by Akanti, August 21, 2010, 12:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akanti

Hello. My question is simple. How can I convert from MyBB 1.6 to SMF without lossing posts etc? I am kinda new to the convertion proccess, so I need some detailed instructions.

Thank you.

Akanti.

Akanti

Well, I am using MyBB version 1.6 not 1.4. As I see, there is not a converter for MyBB 1.6 to SMF.

Balaban

oh, sorry...
This mybb released -just- on 3 August . There is no currently but i think devs works for it.

ThorstenE

the MyBB 1.6 database layout is almost the same as in MyBB 1.4. AFAIK the column "uid" was changed to "mid" (table mybb_moderators), everything else is the same..

You can test the MyBB 1.4 converter,  edit the mybb14x_to_smf.sql before converting your board:
Code (find) Select
SELECT uid AS id_member, fid AS id_board

replace it with:
Code (replace) Select
SELECT mid AS id_member, fid AS id_board
(Code changes are for the SMF 2.0 converter)

Akanti

I'll see what I am going to do with this. Thank you.  ;)

Btw, does this code change work only for SMF 2.0? What about 1.1?

ThorstenE

for SMF 1.1 replace
SELECT uid AS ID_MEMBER, fid AS ID_BOARD
with
SELECT mid AS ID_MEMBER, fid AS ID_BOARD

Akanti

So, now that I made my choice, do you think that converting to SMF is the best thing to do?

Akanti

Hmm... where do I upload the "mybb14x_to_smf.sql" file? Also, do I need to upload the ''SMF install'' folder too? If so, where?

xenovanis

Hi Akanti :)

For converting, follow the instructions as described in the manual here:
Converting to SMF

You'll need to install SMF berfore converting, see here for more help on installing:
Installing SMF
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Akanti

Quote from: xenovanis on August 23, 2010, 10:40:42 AM
Hi Akanti :)

For converting, follow the instructions as described in the manual here:
Converting to SMF

You'll need to install SMF berfore converting, see here for more help on installing:
Installing SMF

My forum's URL is something like this : forums.websiteurlhere.com. The part I am stuck is the uploading part. Let me explain it better.
The uploading guide, says that I should create a directory that looks something like this : www.mywebsiteurl.com/forum. But, in my case, I want it to be installed to my forum without making a new directory. The thing is that I also have the MyBB files uploaded there. What should I do? Delete them or upload the SMF files in the same location where the MyBB files are located too?  ???

xenovanis

For the conversion, create the directory forum and install SMF in there. It's not that your existing MyBB install will disappear of change by converting it. Basically, the data from your MyBB forum is converted and added to the SMF database. Your MyBB install will stay intact.

After the conversion, if successfully, you can remove the MyBB files from your domains root and move the files from SMF to the root. You'll need to run repair_settings to correct the settings after this move.

What is repair_settings.php?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Advertisement: