News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] vBulletin 4.0

Started by Nibogo, October 13, 2010, 07:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nibogo

Software: vBulletin.
Version: 4.0
NOTE: You should test the converted forum before delete your vBulletin installation, if you need to do it.

Here's the converter from vBulletin 4.0 to SMF 2.0 RC3, this was tested under an small database so if you have any issues please report them here, data that will be converted:

• Members
  • Administrators
  • Categories
  • Topics
  • Boards
  • Polls Votes
  • Personal Messages
  • Topics Notifications
  • Boards Notifications
  • Smileys
  • Attachments (From Database or Existing Files)

coldy316

thanks for the heads up on this, lately there is a few people that are moving away from vbulletin
to smf, this would defintely come in handy for those people..

Good luck to all the webmaster with this new converter
Would you believe it that i live in gods country
Australia

Apllicmz

roosendaaldegekste.nl

I have used [SMF Converter] vBulletin 4 and successfully converted vbulletin 4.0.8 to SMF 2.0 RC4.

But after the successful conversion when i try to login to my new smf forum with old usernames and password it doesn't works.

following message appears after first try

Password security has recently been upgraded. Please enter your password again.

and it did not works again....then it says to reset ur pass using username or email.

goldenboy48

I think that's a consequence of converting. Passwords are not transferred over I think, so, you have to reset it.

Doburpally

I have successfully converted from vBulletin 4.0.8 to SMF 2.0 RC3
However when I install the upgrade from RC3 to RC4 Everything seems fine until I go into Admin CP > Forum > Posts and Topics, I get a Blank white page.

I have no idea why this is happening because it works 100% in RC3.

If I install RC4 from scratch there is no problems, when I convert or import all users and topics, posts etc thats when I get the blank page for Posts and Topics ???

Someone please help me.

Norv

Can you please try replacing the Sources/ManagePosts.php file you have on the live forum, with one from a RC4 package provided now for download?
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Doburpally

Quote from: Norv on November 21, 2010, 12:41:42 AM
Can you please try replacing the Sources/ManagePosts.php file you have on the live forum, with one from a RC4 package provided now for download?

I did exactly what you sugested, I backed up old file and uploaded Sources/ManagePosts.php and I still get the white screen.

If you want, I can provide you the URL with Access to Admin CP ;)

BTW, your hellp is appreciated.

Norv

Thank you. Can you please eventually PM me? I would appreciate to access the forum files with a FTP account, if possible, as well. Please however, do so only if you're comfortable with it.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

Doburpally

ramazan85

"Vbulletin 4 > SMF 2" error when translating

QuoteSorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of vBulletin 3.7. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the Database account used does not have permissions to access it.

The error that was received from the Database was: SELECT command denied to user 'xxxxx_smf'@'localhost' for table 'user'

http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-rc4_vbulletin37_converter.zip

Norv

ngoclanbaby86

I try upgrade my forums from VBB 3.8.6 to 4.1.0 and use this one to convert SMF 2RC3
but  error Converting members... Successful.
Converting administrators... Unsuccessful!
This query:
UPDATE `smf`.smf_members
SET id_group = 1
WHERE id_member IN ();
Caused the error:
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 3[code]

Who can help me.

it only successful table members

MasterXBKC

Recalculating forum statistics... Duplicate key name 'ip_index'

VB 4

ThorstenE

ngoclanbaby86,
please remove this part from vbulletin4_to_smf.sql
/******************************************************************************/
--- Converting administrators...
/******************************************************************************/

---{
$request = convert_query("
SELECT userid AS id_member
FROM {$from_prefix}administrator");
$admins = array();
while ($row = convert_fetch_assoc($request))
$admins[] = $row['id_member'];
convert_free_result($request);

convert_query("
UPDATE {$to_prefix}members
SET id_group = 1
WHERE id_member IN (" . implode(',', $admins) . ")");
---}

After the conversion you should fix the missing admin privilegues: I accidentally deleted my admin account, what do I do?

ngoclanbaby86

@ TE: thank you verry much.
I sloved successful my problem.

Jed11

My story...

Many years ago I had a vBulletin forum.  Not knowing anything about how it worked, I purchased the license and hired someone to install it, convert it from the simple and obscure board I was using, and keep it updated for me.  A couple of years goes by and some guys across the street decide they want to put my board out of business so they hire my guy to set up an almost identical board for them.  Although my guy felt he was perfectly justified in taking on the job while I was still paying him, I wasn't persuaded by his argument and fired him.  When the backend of the board started notifying me of updates I realized I lacked the credentials to access my license.  Not only did he create my competition, but he stole my license.

That's when I found SMF... and began learning how all this works.

I successfully converted my board from VBulletin to SMF and all was good.  Years pass, social networking... facebook, etc.  take their toll and my forum's activity diminished substantially.  (I did put my competition out though).  So... deciding the effort to keep the forum up was not worth the reward, I gave it to a member that had been a good supporter for a longtime.  Months pass and he begins to use the board I gave him to infringe upon my other internet properties against our understanding.  On top of that,  my old members complain to me that they liked our board better than the one it had become and wanted me to start it back.

In order to take advantage of the newest and latest,  I purchased a license for vBulletin4 because I have forever been fussing with the incompatibility of my CMS with the forum software.  Finally!... a turnkey package that completely integrated my CMS with my forum... or so I thought...

Eight months have passed and I've shut down the CMS, blogging portion of vBulletin4, installed my old CMS again, and living with a forum software I despise... bloated, buggy, and missing many specific abilities I had grown to take for granted with SMF.

If I ever get back to SMF I swear I never switch again!

I've been working for several weeks to convert back to SMF, and have found several ways to do it successfully, with one caveat... passwords do not migrate.  I get messages regularly from users who forget their passwords and think I have to reset it and send them a new one.  The thought of everyone being required to set their own passwords is enough to make me forget the idea.  I read frequently of people asking legitimate questions about how to do something and being told "why would you want to do that" or "it's easy for a member to just do so and so..."  Maybe for other members of other boards, but I imagine most of the questions from board owners come from people similar to me... they may or may not know why... but regardless... they DO know that it is. 

If there is never to be away to migrate the passwords, then there is never going to be an acceptable way for me to get back to SMF... period. 

That said... here's what I've done...

migrated vb4 to phpBB, phpBB to smf
migrated vb4 to myBB, myBB to smf
migrated vb4 to vb3 (with passwords), vb3 to smf
migrated vb4 to smf (today) using the information in this thread

End result... all posts, members, etc. converted (save the attachment issue)  but passwords all require reset.

The only option I have found that I haven't tried is buying a license for IPB and converting vb4 to IPB in the hopes the IPB will convert to smf with the passwords.

I apologize for being so lengthy, but my issue is one echoed on many boards of many months and too many people have been extolling their success of creating a converter that leaves this glaring problem unresolved and unmentioned. 

So... my simple question is this... is a converter that includes the migration of the passwords an impossible task, or one that has not reached maturity? 

Shall I continue to wait, or give up and lie in the bed I have already made?   

ThorstenE

passwords conversion is possible, but we need to know some things about the password encryption.

could you please create a "test" user and generate a password "test".. then please check the vbb user table via phpMyAdmin and post the information from these two columns: password & salt

afaik they use md5(md5($pass).$salt)

please edit vbulletin4_to_smf.sql and find:
TRUNCATE {$to_prefix}members;
Add after:
ALTER TABLE {$to_prefix}members
CHANGE COLUMN password_salt password_salt varchar(32) NOT NULL default '';

that should at least convert the salt and password properly, maybe we need an additional line of code in Sources/LogInOut.php

Advertisement: