News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Forum Error

Started by NergalHST, October 19, 2010, 01:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NergalHST

It's giving me "Settings.php cannot be written to by your webserver. Please modify the permissions on this file to allow write access."

NergalHST

Quote from: xenovanis on October 19, 2010, 03:37:43 PM
Try clearing your cache in Admin -> Maintanance -> Forum Maintenance -> Routine

In addition, are there any errors in your log?
I can't even access the forums.

gbsothere

Quote from: NergalHST on October 20, 2010, 08:50:38 PM
It's giving me "Settings.php cannot be written to by your webserver. Please modify the permissions on this file to allow write access."

Using repair_settings.php is giving you that message?  Change the permissions for Settings.php to 644 and try running it again and if you still get the error, then try 755.

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

NergalHST

gbsothere

Quote from: NergalHST on October 20, 2010, 09:19:49 PM
How can I do that?

You may be able to do it in your host-provided control panel but you can also use an ftp application such as FILEZILLA.  Using that, you can log into your server with host, username and password and then access your Settings.php file in your forum's main folder.  Right-click on it and choose "Set Permissions" and change it to 644.  Again, as I said, this may also be done through the contol panel that your server provides. 

:)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

NergalHST

Hmmm well I'm looking through the File Manager on the Control Panel there are no options for it.

gbsothere

Quote from: NergalHST on October 20, 2010, 09:25:58 PM
Hmmm well I'm looking through the File Manager on the Control Panel there are no options for it.

I have a little bit of time before I turn in.  If you'd like me to take a look at this for you, create a temporary admin account (that you can delete later) for your forum and PM me the log in details. (Scratch that; you can't access your forum to create one.)  It would need to be your own log in details. If you can get FTP log in details (your server can give those to you) PM those, as well.  Before you do, though, have a look at this link:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=228940.0

Or, as I said, you can download Filezilla and give this a go, yourself.   ;)

NergalHST

You seem extremely trust worthy:).

gbsothere

Quote from: NergalHST on October 20, 2010, 09:34:33 PM

I'm too old to be excited by the prospect of mischief.   ;)

I'm just going to take a moment to glean back through this thread to make sure I'm up to speed and then I'll take a look.

NergalHST

NergalHST

Quote from: gbsothere on October 20, 2010, 09:36:19 PM
Quote from: NergalHST on October 20, 2010, 09:34:33 PM

I'm too old to be excited by the prospect of mischief.   ;)

I'm just going to take a moment to glean back through this thread to make sure I'm up to speed and then I'll take a look.
Hey it says I've hit the limit of only 10 personal messages per hour, but to respond to your question, go ahead with your plan, only if nothing will be lost Thank you! :)

gbsothere

Quote from: NergalHST on October 20, 2010, 10:30:23 PM
Hey it says I've hit the limit of only 10 personal messages per hour, but to respond to your question, go ahead with your plan, only if nothing will be lost Thank you! :)

I've emailed you.

Anyone with ideas, please weigh in.  The forum won't load by adding ?theme=1 or with the custom theme.  Admin area is inaccessible.

I'm not able to discern which mod caused this.   :-\

I've suggested all clean files and reinstall mods, but perhaps someone else has a thought?

(No crashed DB tables.  Cache file emptied, except for .htacess and index.php.)

index.php is present and looks fine.  Ajax Chat is uninstalled.

gbsothere

If you miss your email, I can now access your forum in default.

:)

gbsothere

I don't know what she just said, but it cyber-sounds lovely.   :D

This issue has been solved and thank you, Xenovanis, for ferreting out the missing code.  You're the best. 

NergalHST

Thank you guys so much, you have made my days.

Gbsothere and xenovanis

With all my sincerity,
Nergal

xenovanis

Quote from: gbsothere on October 21, 2010, 05:30:35 PM
I don't know what she just said, but it cyber-sounds lovely.   :D

O o, that was a reply to the very wrong topic  ;D I need to get more sleep or less coffee  :o

Quote from: NergalHST on October 22, 2010, 01:19:26 AM
Thank you guys so much, you have made my days.

Gbsothere and xenovanis

With all my sincerity,
Nergal

You're welcome, my pleasure  :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

gbsothere

Quote from: xenovanis on October 22, 2010, 02:48:39 PM

O o, that was a reply to the very wrong topic  ;D I need to get more sleep or less coffee  :o

If you hadn't confessed, I never would have known.   :D

xenovanis

That's because I spoke in my secret native language :P You had no idea I was referring to manually installing a shoutbox, didn't you?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

gbsothere

Quote from: xenovanis on October 22, 2010, 03:39:03 PM
That's because I spoke in my secret native language :P You had no idea I was referring to manually installing a shoutbox, didn't you?

I've never been so intrigued by shoutbox instructions in all my life.   :D

(No, I hadn't a clue....  Babelfish swam away from me on that one.)

Advertisement: