News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Facebook and Twitter Sharer

Started by Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen, December 13, 2010, 04:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faustus

Running a fresh install of 2.0 RC4 using the core theme.

Installed the mod without error. Enabled the master on check box.

Turned it on for my general discussion forum, but the share button/link does not appear.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

OK, if you change to Curve for a second - does it work with Curve?
Also, after you have installed it, activated it, and turned it on for that board - do any errors come up in your error logs?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Faustus

Quote from: LexArma on January 24, 2011, 08:13:43 AM
OK, if you change to Curve for a second - does it work with Curve?
Also, after you have installed it, activated it, and turned it on for that board - do any errors come up in your error logs?

Yeah you're right. Several mods I've had issue with worked perfect with curve... I guess I should just stick with it.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

There seems to be indeed a small glitch with Core, I'll fix this tomorrow if I have the time ;)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Reverted my changes from yesterday, after finding out the actual problem in Core install not working was due to a typo in 1.0 - Fixed the typo, and some other small typos, and released 1.2 today. Hope it works for everyone, it works for me :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

totaltutankoll

Absolutely super and much better than anything similar I've tried out before. To be able to chose which boards to be able to share on a message board lika mine which is mainly closed down for the public i super. No more stupid dead end links to "you have no permission to visit this board" which would drive myself as a visitor almost insane.

Super in all it's simplicity! THANKS for sharing :)
Started out with a SMF-forum a couple of years ago went on to Dynamic web (read dynamic crap) and am now back in the land of Simple Machines.

Non, je ne regrette rien!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

City Builder

Hi,

I've installed this mod on my SMF RC4 forums.  It seems to work as the button appears on the threads in the board that I've chosen, however...

When the pop up window appears, the thumbnails that I can choose from are all the avatars of the members that have written something in the thread that I want to share instead of the actual thumbnail images that the members have uploaded to that thread.

I have a mod named Highslide installed which is a nice pic viewer of the images that the user submits to their message so don't know if that is what is causing the issue or if there is a problem with this mod.

Any help to get this working properly with the thumbnails would be greatly appreciated.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The Popup uses images that it can see on the page, and how it selects those images is up to Facebook. Just make sure guests can see the images, and Facebook should be able to pick them up. If not, I do not know what to do, since that is not actually a function in the mod, but in Facebook itself.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

City Builder

Okay, thank you.  Allowing guests to see attachments will fix this.

I guess I'll have to decide whether to allow all guests to see and download attachments or unfortunately not have to use your great mod.  I think it likely that it would be a drop in our new subscribers if they don't have to register to download our files or see images without registering.

Anyway, thank you for the information.

pgordemer

You can force Facebook to use a specfic image for your site.

Here is a sample meta code to add to index.template.php before the </HEAD>

// Facebook meta code START PMG
        echo '<meta property="og:image" content="http://canvascampers.com/images/cc_fb_50.png" />';
        // Facebook Meta code END PMG

City Builder

When I add that code I get the following:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in /home/account1/my.com/Themes/default/index.template.php on line 176

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

In case you need to force an image, you can use this. But this will remove the option to select an image based on the page completely. The best place to put this, would be where all other meta lines already are. ;)

Quote from: LexArma on December 28, 2010, 02:45:51 AM
Okay, now - It would seem this should work.

Just add a line in your meta tags, with the following

<meta property="og:image" content="URL_to_thumbnail_image" />

So for example

<meta property="og:image" content="http://www.simplemachines.org/community/custom_avatars/avatar_200382_1275969085.png" />

To use your avatar here as a thumbnail image.

The following restrictions apply:

The og:image is the URL to the image that appears in the Feed story. The thumbnail's width AND height must be at least 50 pixels, and cannot exceed 130x110 pixels. The ratio of both height divided by width and width divided by height (w/h, h/w) cannot exceed 3.0. For example, an image of 126x39 pixels will not be displayed, as the ratio of width divided by height is greater than 3.0 (126/39 = 3.23). Images will be resized proportionally.

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Dan_y2k

Brilliant mod! Kudos!!! Keep it updated... I like it ALOT! Good job, and thanks for this great mod! :)
Regards,
Dan_y2k.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

sammyboy405

The Like Seems to work fine.. but for the Life of me i cannot get the FB Connect button on the login?

I made sure

After :
<p><input type="submit" value="', $txt['login'], '" class="button_submit" /></p>

I Put :
echo'<p>';show_facebook();echo'</p>';

Still No Joy..  What Am i missing to get the FB Connect Button to appear for Login?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

This mod does not do likes nor connects, just shares.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

maximumrock

This is as great MOD!! Thanks!!  This is on SMF 2.0 RC5

Just got one question though. Prior to having this MOD. I had the Facebook_Like_V.1.4 mod in place......But once i installed your FBSharer_1.3 MOD.....It makes the Facebook_Like_V.1.4 mod not appear on the forum anymore.. Does the Sharer override the "like" one?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I'm not sure - I haven't tested them together, so I don't know, but it's possible that they don't work well together since they are both FB tools, and basically very similar in funtionality.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

maximumrock

yeah, could be.. i remember having a similar issue once on wordpress... now i just have to decide what is used more.. the share or likes!....i am guessing the "Share" is used more..

Advertisement: