News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Forum Firewall

Started by butchs, January 15, 2011, 11:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinnerman

Hi guys,

I'm trying to install this mod on a dedicated server with SMF 2.0.7. When i browse the mods and find it, it says the package is empty and i should upload the files myself.

When i upload the files myself and try to install i get:
Error in Package Installation
At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

and in particular:
31.   Execute Modification   ForumFirewall.xml   Modification parse error
32.   Execute Modification   ForumFirewall.xml   Modification parse error
33.   Execute Modification   modification_language.xml   Modification parse error
34.   Execute Modification   modification_language.xml   Modification parse error
35.   Execute Modification   modification_language_2x.xml   Modification parse error
36.   Execute Modification   modification_language_2x.xml   Modification parse error

any ideas?

EDIT: just a simple chmod solved the issue. Sorry. :)

butchs

Version 2.0.0 is official and released.  This is a total rewrite of the mod with lots of improvements.   :o

Some notes:

• You should save your site specific tests and completely uninstall the old version and start from scratch (do not forget to make your robots.tst file before installing).
    NOTE: Here is a site that can check if your forum is IPv6 compatible.
  • Modern IPv4 and IPv6 real IP detection/ Logging for the mods internal structure only (SMF is not IPv6 compatible and hopefully SMF 2.1 will give me a IP address integration hook).  With updated spoof detection methods.
    NOTE:  "Review Proxy List" --  Checks a proxy lists for spoofing attempts.  Will block or challenge as specified.  Selecting this option assumes your forum is behind a proxy that is setting the headers.  You can still use this option but be forewarned that the the address obtained may not be correct.
  • If you have a honeypot and are not using httpBL or bad behavior you should add "badbehavior_httpbl_link" & "badbehavior_httpbl_word" to the DB.  "Word" is optional, the honey pot will work without it.

Only the test conditions were updated for SMF 1.1.x.   No new features.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

LeYoyo

Hi Butchs,

I installed the Forum Firewall mod, but since it's done, I have many errors in the logs, most of them are :

8: Undefined variable: ff_proxy_error
File: /myhomepages/forum/Sources/Subs-ForumFirewall.php
Line: 178

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance for the help
Sous SMF 2.0.8

butchs

I was so busy testing FF with a proxy I missed the case when a proxy was not being used.  I believe the attached will solve the problem.  Try replacing the attached in your "/myhomepages/forum/Sources/" directory and resetting the forum cache (if you can).

Please let me know if it works after a few days.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

LeYoyo

Thx for that.
Installed, I will give you a feedback
Sous SMF 2.0.8

LeYoyo

Seems to work, but I have another one now :

8: Undefined variable: time_diff
Fichier: /myhomepages/forum/Sources/ForumFirewall.php
Line: 237
Sous SMF 2.0.8

butchs

Interesting.  I am surprised my server did not throw that one.  Try the attached in the same folder.

LeYoyo

I will install it and give you a feedback.
Sous SMF 2.0.8

LeYoyo

Works fine.

Thanks butchs ;)
Sous SMF 2.0.8

butchs

Thank you.  In a week or so I will release the changes in the mod.  Until then, I will wait to see if someone else reports something else I missed.

;)

butchs

New version with some bug fixes for SMF 2.0.x.  I included LeYoyo's bugs and made a security change to the trusted proxies.

I am going to reiterate that the mod does its best to find the visitors IP address but if your forum is not behind a proxy the likelihood of the address it finds is the actual IP decreases.
:-X

ArsenArsen

ff_proxy_error is undefined,

Thanks

butchs

I believe that should have been fixed with 2.0.1.  Did you update to the latest version and refresh your forum cache (or wait a few days)?

chris @ Alpine

Hello,

I am sorry to ask a probably already answered question. It's just not clear to me how I can change these options.  Where are these variables located?  What file?

ALLOW_URL_FOPEN
ALLOW_URL_INCLUDE

"SECURITY RISK: ENSURE ALLOW_URL_FOPEN AND ALLOW_URL_INCLUDE ARE BOTH DISABLED TO PROTECT AGAINST RFI!"

And I guess DISABLED means both variables should = 0?

Thank you.

butchs

Yes, in most cases you will need to ask your hose to adjust.

chris @ Alpine

Thanks. I employ a typical shared web-hosting service. Do you mean the hosting company has to do this?  Or would that in my cPanel?

lc62003

Trying this on 3 sites.  Great mod!!  There are a couple of questions that pop up.

First, all three sites get the same message in the error logs:

8: Undefined index: cols
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: ./public_html/Themes/default/Admin.template.php
Line: 910

Can you recommend a fix?

Second, messing around I've discovered (as mentioned earlier in this thread) the bypass check does not play well with mobile devices.  This is important since better than 75% of the users are on mobiles.  Simple enough right?  Just turn it off and they won't be logged/blocked.  Unchecking the box and saving = unchecked box, but still getting logged.  Uninstall/reinstall will make it cease but that's the only way.  Same on all three sites.  Further investigation suggests this is true for other checks as well, including robots, user agent, and maybe others.  Any words of wisdom?

Thanks again!   8)

butchs

Quote from: lc62003 on August 24, 2014, 02:41:12 PM
First, all three sites get the same message in the error logs:

File: ./public_html/Themes/default/Admin.template.php

Can you recommend a fix?

No, as far as I can tell that has nothing to do with my mod.  I do not edit the admin template file.  I use my own template.
O:)

Quote from: lc62003 on August 24, 2014, 02:41:12 PMSecond, messing around I've discovered (as mentioned earlier in this thread) the bypass check does not play well with mobile devices.

You must be running an old version of this mod.  The issue with not recognizing some mobile device IP addresses was fixed with version 2.0.x of this mod.  The bypass check was totally re-written and all bugs were fixed with version 2.0.x of this mod.  If a mobile user faces the challenge, they have the option to enter their user name and password in the SMF login dialog (this will be added to SMF 2.1 too when it gets closer to release).  So please upgrade your FF mod. 
  :o
Please refresh your forum/ proxy/ server cache after making changes.  For more information see previous posts in this thread (start with the first one).
8)

lc62003

Quote from: butchs on August 24, 2014, 05:35:32 PM

No, as far as I can tell that has nothing to do with my mod.  I do not edit the admin template file.  I use my own template.
O:)

You must be running an old version of this mod.  The issue with not recognizing some mobile device IP addresses was fixed with version 2.0.x of this mod.  The bypass check was totally re-written and all bugs were fixed with version 2.0.x of this mod.  If a mobile user faces the challenge, they have the option to enter their user name and password in the SMF login dialog (this will be added to SMF 2.1 too when it gets closer to release).  So please upgrade your FF mod. 
  :o
Please refresh your forum/ proxy/ server cache after making changes.  For more information see previous posts in this thread (start with the first one).
8)

That error did not show in any of the three sites until FF install.   ;)

The version is 2.0.1, downloaded here:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2815

on Friday, Aug 22, 2014.  Is there a newer version?   :D

lc62003

Or if this helps:  uncheck Disable evaluation of templates, then get the error:

File: /home/downhome/public_html/Themes/default/languages/Help.english.php (show_settings sub template - eval?)

Poking through the files, specifically /ForumFirewall.english.php,  where should

$txt['forumfirewall_admin_desc'] = 'Configure and Management';

be displayed in the settings?  I don't find "Configure and Management" anywhere in the admin panel. 

Advertisement: