News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Cannot Connect to Database.

Started by tyqre, January 19, 2011, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyqre

Quote from: Illori on January 21, 2011, 08:55:22 AM
i tried for over 30 minutes to connect to your site, it did not even load that it can not connect to the database. are you hosting this forum on someone's personal computer connected to a free domain redirect service then directing to your purchased domain?
Im running it on my apache server. My ip is constantly changing so i have it hook up to a dns name that gets updated with my ip. its always been that way. Its always worked. I will download the reset_settings.php and see what happens. THanks for your help.

tyqre

It works now! Thank you all for your help. I had to all of the directorys where broken, as you said they were. Thanks again.

tyqre

Quote from: tyqre on January 21, 2011, 09:30:18 AM
It works now! Thank you all for your help. I had to all of the directorys where broken, as you said they were. Thanks again.
aND....... its not working again. It worked for like...a minutes now its slow again. I am sure all all the links are correct!

No errors but its extreemly slow.

Illori

is it slow internally or is it slow for someone connecting outside your network? it could be a problem with your router

tesser

Might not be related by here goes anyway

I use xampp if i allow it on my firewall then all connections inside and out side on my network are real slow

Now if i turn off my firewall on the server pc  i get lighting speeds inside and out side of my server  also leaving the firewall ON within my routor

server machine is running windows 7

might be worth playing with your firewall ?????????

tyqre

Quote from: tesser on January 21, 2011, 09:58:52 AM
Might not be related by here goes anyway

I use xampp if i allow it on my firewall then all connections inside and out side on my network are real slow

Now if i turn off my firewall on the server pc  i get lighting speeds inside and out side of my server  also leaving the firewall ON within my routor

server machine is running windows 7

might be worth playing with your firewall ?????????
its strange. I turned off my firewall, reset apache, tried to log on and it was pretty fast for a few seconds. I logged in with ease. THen i clicked on a topic and it just kept loading. I clicked the back button and still kept on loading.(does that everytime i reset apache)
As for if its slow outside my network.. yes it is. I am using windows home server ( i made sure the extra features on home server use port 8080 instead of 80) and i portforwarded 80 to my server (and 8080).

Illori

at this point i think you may get a better response if you post in the server configuration board since this does not seem to be an issue with smf any longer.

tyqre

ok i made a post in that board. Here is link to it if you want to look at it . http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=418524.0

Tyrsson

The issue is a complex one, which is why smf does not provide support for servers. The options are endless and we have no way of knowing your exact config and build options, not to even mention the complex problem of making sure that no firewall is causing problems.

Can you ping the device inside the LAN?

Do you have a static LAN IP assigned to the device on which apache is running?

My suggestions would be to set a static IP (must have for doing this type thing), also verify with your ISP that you have a static public IP. Verify that your ISP does not block port 80 (many do for this very reason). Many times I have seen them setup the NAT device (your router or modem) to run its http server instance on port 80, yep you guessed it, that kills apache from serving on port 80 for the public IP (if memory serves).

Options:

If port 80 is blocked and that is the reason many times you can change the port for which the NAT device serves. However you should NOT try this unless you know exactly what you are doing in regards to the device you are using.

Verify your dns records are pointing to the correct IP. If you do not have a static public IP then you will need to use some type of service that will report any change of IP to the record such as DynDNS or similar as the record MUST report the current IP of the device on which apache is running if it is to serve to the Web or your wide area network (if memory serves).

Due to the reasons I have listed its hard to provide support as we really have no idea why it could be breaking down. You may also want to check the event logs on your system to verify that apache is actually starting and stopping. Is apache actually running? Is php running? Is it being loaded correctly?

There is a million things that can go wrong and with the limited info we have, there is no way we can pinpoint the problem.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

Advertisement: