News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

password incorrect errors

Started by tempneff, February 01, 2011, 01:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tempneff

I am a new admin and as I was checking out the error log ALL i found was "password incorrect" errors....thousands of them! Something must be wrong for sure. I searched a bit here and found that it seems this is an ongoing issue without a definite solution. Am i wrong? I hope I am..

Matthew K.

I would suggest completely clearing your error log and then seeing if they keep coming back, they are what they are...people entering an incorrect password. So it shouldn't be an issue.

tempneff

not exactly. I find this error nearly everytime i log in. The autofill password is not recognized. When I retype it, I can log in. But every automatic login fails 'for me'. I now assume this is happening across the board, or at least in abundance.

Matthew K.

Try turning off your browsers auto-login for your site, or resetting it. Your password that's set in your browser is probably not the correct password.

puhastus

Actually, i have experiences it in my forum too. Some people say that sometimes they cant log in, that they wrote the right password for sure but they got password incorrect error. It worked on next try though...

Its the same with pms too sometimes, some people say that pms are not sent, without an error.

Its only the case with some members, and problem occurs only for specific members, others dont report any errors. I dont see any errors on error log also.

ApplianceJunk

Seem to be having the same problem today. I check and clear my error logs daily. Starting yesterday I started getting pages of password incorrect errors showing up every few hours. Why now?

vbgamer45

Been noticing it on my sites as well. I have my login security mod to check for login attempts on my accounts.

And I noticed a lot of bots are trying all users accounts maybe to spam or something
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

ApplianceJunk

QuoteI have my login security mod to check for login attempts on my accounts.

What is 'login security mod'?

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

ApplianceJunk

I just found out when I click on the IP address that is associated with the members username in the error log it either shows the IP from a foreign country or it says, 'No members from the specified IP (range) found'.

I'm having same problem, constant errors signing in and  IP addresses all coming from Berlin, Netherlands, Switzerland and places my members are not from.

vbgamer45

I don't think it is hack or looks like just spam bots are try to brute force/login into any account to make spam posts or do whatever.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

ApplianceJunk

I just updated to 1.1.13, not sure if the update has anything to do with this problem or not.

vbgamer45, anything we can do to stop this?

vbgamer45

Nothing that I am aware of other than banning the bots....

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

vbgamer45

Sadly there isn't much you can do to stop other than renaming the action variable for login and banning the bots.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

live627

Quote from: vbgamer45 on February 11, 2011, 06:05:39 PM
Nothing that I am aware of other than banning the bots....
No use. Each attempt uses a different IP address.

vbgamer45

Exactly there is multiple ip's... so it is tricky I do see them list on stopforumspam so maybe if you have that mod or similar will help if you modify it to check on login

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

djkimmel

Quote from: vbgamer45 on February 11, 2011, 06:09:29 PM
Sadly there isn't much you can do to stop other than renaming the action variable for login and banning the bots.

Is this a difficult process? I'm not sure how to do this. I will search on the forum to see if I find a topic similar.

Too many different IP addresses to ban. They keep changing constantly. Different user, different IP address.

Illori

there is a thread in more detail on this issue in the Building Your Community and other Forum Advice board.

RustyBarnacle

The httpBL seems to be grabbing most of them but a couple have slipped through on my site.  I'm content with this mod.

Advertisement: