"Quote" and loadtime bug

Started by kattara, February 24, 2011, 02:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kattara

Many of the users on my forum access it via their cellphones.  Since upgrading to RC5, many of my users have complained of very long load times.  Another problem is when trying to "quote" a reply, it just says loading, but nothing happens.

Any help with this?

Arantor

kattara

Quote from: Arantor on February 24, 2011, 03:07:32 AM
So, what mods do you have?

These are the installed mods:

1.  Ad Managment
2.  Header Addon
3.  Registered Links
4.  Karma Buttons

Thanks for the reply!

Arantor

So what extra code was added in the header with header addon?

Does the quote button work for you, or is it only mobile users?

Also is it only slow for mobile users or for you as well? (I'm thinking ads are the likely culprit on this part)

kattara

Quote from: Arantor on February 24, 2011, 03:36:43 AM
So what extra code was added in the header with header addon?

Does the quote button work for you, or is it only mobile users?

Also is it only slow for mobile users or for you as well? (I'm thinking ads are the likely culprit on this part)

And tbh, I'm not exactly sure what extra code was added in the header.  The admin did that.  I'm just the co-admin...

The quote button works for users on pc.  Unfortunately, my cell is in the repair shop so I can't test it myself.

And it's slow only for mobile users, as far as I know.  I'm on my pc, and everything works fine.

The thing is, we weren't having any of these problems before the upgrade.  They all happened after.  No new mods were added or anything.  If anything, we have a few mods we haven't reinstalled.

Arantor

Well, you can check from the admin panel what code was added...

The RC5 upgrade shouldn't have slowed anything down, if you were going from RC4... I checked the entire list of changes for something else (at code level) and nothing about it struck me as hurting performance, not even the security changes.

When you can test it, try it first with ads, then try disabling the ads temporarily and trying it again to see if it is the cause.

kattara

Quote from: Arantor on February 24, 2011, 04:01:51 AM
Well, you can check from the admin panel what code was added...

The RC5 upgrade shouldn't have slowed anything down, if you were going from RC4... I checked the entire list of changes for something else (at code level) and nothing about it struck me as hurting performance, not even the security changes.

When you can test it, try it first with ads, then try disabling the ads temporarily and trying it again to see if it is the cause.

How do I disable it temporarily?

EDIT:  Nm, found it.  lol  I'll report back what I find.

Arantor

I don't actually know, I've never used the ad management mod...

kattara

I forgot to mention...

I've asked my users to load this forum to see if load times are slow.  One user has reported that it does take a long time to load.  Doesn't this mean that it's probably the RC5 upgrade?

And update: No change in load times when disabling ads.

008Rohit

I'm the admin of that forum : http:// smartphonegeeks. in (Remove Spaces)

The issues are because of either Our New Webhost (iPage) or Some mods. (I added Google Webmasters tools verification code in header section). We moved our forum from Hostgator to iPage a couple of days back and each user is facing unique problems.
Check this picture. Only I am facing this when using PC. (bbc and smileys appears from mobile)

https ://lh3.googleusercontent. com/_mcEfLr7qw58/TWZGERvPuPI/AAAAAAAACRo/_P68tndwovs/s640/SiteScreenshot .JPG (Remove Spaces)

Edit : WTF! Same kind of bug is with this forum. WHATS THE ISSUE WITH SMF 2.0 RC5? >:(
TechTage Forum - Vintage Technology - on MDDHosting - CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered - MDDHosting Review

Illori

what browser are you using? quote works fine for me on this forum.

008Rohit

Quote from: Illori on February 24, 2011, 07:23:09 AM
what browser are you using? quote works fine for me on this forum.
Thats the problem. Everyone has got random bugs.

I even see some of the bugs in THIS forum..
TechTage Forum - Vintage Technology - on MDDHosting - CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered - MDDHosting Review

Illori

you are not answering the question, it works fine for me in firefox. we do ask questions for a reason.

Arantor

QuoteEveryone has got random bugs.

Well, you are complaining about bugs in a pre-release piece of software ;)

Seriously though, it sounds like you might want to get your computers checked out with some virus/malware scanners.

008Rohit

Browsing from PC (Using IE, Firefox)
Browsing from Nokia 5230 smartphone. (Opera Mini Browser)

Can malwares affect my site?
How can I downgrade the SMF version to a stable 1.x ?

Arantor

QuoteCan malwares affect my site?

Well, the smartphone issue could easily be a delay with Opera's server, since Opera Mini loads the page, compresses it and serves it from their network.

Yes, malware can affect your site, sites can and do get hacked. Malware can also be on your PC and affect how you see the internet... hence my suggestion of getting checked to be sure.

You can't downgrade very easily from 2.0 to 1.1, there were a few people offering it as a paid service - but there are no major issues in 2.0 and several of the bugs that there *are* are also in 1.1 as well.

008Rohit

@ ^^

I face these bugs if I use Mozilla/IE/Any other PC Browser :
Cant quote, Cant see the smileys or bbc in "reply". (img added earlier)

And these bugs if I use Opera Mini and My 5230 :
Cant Quote.

Page Loads fine in every case, however some user reported the delay.

I even cant see the smileys and bbc in THIS forum from my PC. My PC has got a "ad.yeildmanager" malware that displays a banner ad in firefox.

Arantor

QuoteI even cant see the smileys and bbc in THIS forum from my PC. My PC has got a "ad.yeildmanager" malware that displays a banner ad in firefox.

If you can't see it on this forum, then there is something wrong with your PC. You should really look at anti-malware and anti-virus tools.

008Rohit

Quote from: Arantor on February 24, 2011, 09:31:56 AM
QuoteI even cant see the smileys and bbc in THIS forum from my PC. My PC has got a "ad.yeildmanager" malware that displays a banner ad in firefox.

If you can't see it on this forum, then there is something wrong with your PC. You should really look at anti-malware and anti-virus tools.
Then I guess everything is happening because of malwares. Any ways I can fix the quote issue?
and what anti-malware do you suggest? ;)

Arantor

QuoteThen I guess everything is happening because of malwares. Any ways I can fix the quote issue?

In all likelihood, fixing the malware problem with fix the quote issue.

Advertisement: