News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Problems with Personal Messages......

Started by dougiefresh, April 05, 2011, 07:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougiefresh

When I convert my phpBB board to SMF, all of my PM conversations from the phpBB board are listed under a single conversation in the SMF board.  How can I fix this?  Assistance would be greatly apprecitated!  Thanks ahead of time!

EDIT: By the way, I'm converting from phpBB 3.0.8 to SMF 2.0 RC5.  Hope this info helps.....

boogi

Hi, today for tests I converted phpBB-3.0.8 to the brand new SMF-2.0 (Gold) and encountered the same problem.

PhpBB3 was not a new install, but it was some time ago updated from phpBB2, if this can mean something.

MrMike

Quote from: dougiefresh on April 05, 2011, 07:59:04 PM
When I convert my phpBB board to SMF, all of my PM conversations from the phpBB board are listed under a single conversation in the SMF board. 

It's a setting. To fix it, do this:

Click the "My Messages" button.
Click the "Preferences" button.
Change the top dropdown labeled "Display personal messages". Set it to "As a conversation".

Hope this helps somebody, it had me baffled for a little while.

dougiefresh

Quote from: MrMike on June 16, 2011, 04:27:31 PM
It's a setting. To fix it, do this:

Click the "My Messages" button.
Click the "Preferences" button.
Change the top dropdown labeled "Display personal messages". Set it to "As a conversation".

Hope this helps somebody, it had me baffled for a little while.
My PM setting is set to Conversation,

Okay, I figured out at least part of the problem.....  In order to seperate each PM, the id_pm_head field in smf_personal_messages must match the id_pm field, but this only works if each pm's id_pm_head field is set to 0.....

So I executed this query on my forum after converting from phpBB:
UPDATE `smf_personal_messages` SET id_pm_head = id_pm WHERE id_pm >0
This splits the entire "conversation" into their seperate PMs that they are, however they still aren't grouped together like the the actual conversations that they are in phpBB.

dougiefresh

I did a little more digging into how phpBB works with it's personal messages with the help of a friend and figured out what to modify in the phpbb3_to_smf.sql file (found here).

Find this:/******************************************************************************/
--- Converting personal messages (step 1)...
/******************************************************************************/

TRUNCATE {$to_prefix}personal_messages;

---* {$to_prefix}personal_messages
SELECT
pm.msg_id AS id_pm, pm.author_id AS id_member_from, pm.message_time AS msgtime,
SUBSTRING(uf.username, 1, 255) AS from_name, SUBSTRING(pm.message_subject, 1, 255) AS subject,
SUBSTRING(REPLACE(IF(pm.bbcode_uid = '', pm.message_text, REPLACE(REPLACE(pm.message_text, CONCAT(':1:', pm.bbcode_uid), ''), CONCAT(':', pm.bbcode_uid), '')), '\n', '<br />'), 1, 65534) AS body
FROM {$from_prefix}privmsgs AS pm
LEFT JOIN {$from_prefix}users AS uf ON (uf.user_id = pm.author_id);
and change this line :
SUBSTRING(REPLACE(IF(pm.bbcode_uid = '', pm.message_text, REPLACE(REPLACE(pm.message_text, CONCAT(':1:', pm.bbcode_uid), ''), CONCAT(':', pm.bbcode_uid), '')), '\n', '<br />'), 1, 65534) AS body
to this:
SUBSTRING(REPLACE(IF(pm.bbcode_uid = '', pm.message_text, REPLACE(REPLACE(pm.message_text, CONCAT(':1:', pm.bbcode_uid), ''), CONCAT(':', pm.bbcode_uid), '')), '\n', '<br />'), 1, 65534) AS body,
CASE pm.root_level WHEN 0 THEN pm.msg_id ELSE pm.root_level END AS id_pm_head

This should group all conversations together in SMF after conversion from phpBB.

Advertisement: