News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SimpleTwitter

Started by Suki, April 20, 2011, 01:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PLAYBOY

Now i got a weird problem.
When people post a new topic, it doesnt post it on my twitter. But when I am logged in the twitter and post a topic It sends it to twitter. Except If I am logged out It again doesnt post it on twitter.

Any Ideas?

Suki

You need to properly set an app and correctly use the apps credentials.

AFAIK your users doesn't need to be logged in twitter but that might had changed, its been a while since the last time I saw the twitter API schema.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

PLAYBOY

Yep. Just tested again. you have to be logged in to twitter otherwise twitter auto-post doesnt work.
Maybe there is a setting or a way to fix it but its not very useful like this right now.

Suki

Well, there isn't any setting that can fix this if twitter decided to change the way its API works, it their API and they love to make unexpected changes, if they now require the user to grand permissions to your app to post on their behalf then I'm not going to do any change, it would be a nightmare to maintain.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

PLAYBOY

you are right and i agree with you but what if its not the twitters thing. Do others experience the same issue? Also maybe there is a way around it. I dont mean you should change the code but if there is a way, we should find and post it here to help everybody.

Suki

Its been ages since the last time I used this mod, I personally do not use it so I wouldn't know if this is a general issue or not.

If others are experience the same issue and provide more details then for sure I will see what I can do.

PLAYBOY

I am not good at these coding things but you may wanna take a look at this
https://dev.twitter.com/blog/planning-for-api-v1-retirement

Suki

ugh, looks like they now require user permission to post tweets and everything is under a "current user" context, this means that if an user creates a topic, the tweet will be posted on her/his twitter and not the one you specified. Too much work for something simple.

PLAYBOY

Quotethis means that if an user creates a topic, the tweet will be posted on her/his twitter and not the one you specified. Too much work for something simple.

No. I tested it twice and it doesnt matter who is logged in to whose account it always posts it to the main twitter account you specified with your consumer key and consumer secret.

As long as the person who is posting a new topic is logged in to their twitter account, it will post to the websites/main twitter account.

Suki

Quote from: PLAYBOY on February 12, 2013, 01:59:36 AM
Quotethis means that if an user creates a topic, the tweet will be posted on her/his twitter and not the one you specified. Too much work for something simple.

No. I tested it twice and it doesnt matter who is logged in to whose account it always posts it to the main twitter account you specified with your consumer key and consumer secret.

As long as the person who is posting a new topic is logged in to their twitter account, it will post to the websites/main twitter account.

Thats because this mod is still using the 1.0 API...  the behaviour is different in 1.1

PLAYBOY

So do you think you can work on this to make it more useful? or you just wanna leave it as is?

Suki

Like I said, if the new API doesn't permit to post on other users twitter page then there is no point in continue with this as you won't be able to post tweets to the account you specified.

OnlineFunCorner

nothing post on my twitter account when someone post a new topic :-(

Suki

Yeah, you need to look at the permissions.

Is only a matter of time before this mod gets completely useless becuase of the new twitter  API, perhaps it is now a good time to shut this down.

akbora

What can I do about Turkish characters? Is there any opinion for this problem?
SMF 2.0.13
Default Theme
Utf8 Turkish
---------------

PLAYBOY

Where do you need the Turkish characters at?

akbora

Quote from: PLAYBOY on April 01, 2013, 03:29:06 AM
Where do you need the Turkish characters at?
Thanks. I have solved Turkish characters problem.

New problem: normal member can not to post twitter. Only admin can post. I looked at the goups permission all yes positioın.
SMF 2.0.13
Default Theme
Utf8 Turkish
---------------

awolexpat

I don't think this has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread, but given the comments on here about the API changes and how this mod will become useless, I decided to uninstall it, which I did, and the system told me it has been successful.

However, some days later I noticed that my Admin menu link was returning 500 errors (along with the Support and Credits one); I didn't put two and two together immediately as I couldn't see how the removal of this mod could have an effect on that. I started a thread - http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=502307.0 - and went through a head scratching process with the very helpful K@. I should have gone with his (and my) first instincts and investigated the uninstallation of this mod, but I tried a number of other avenues first. Anyway, when i finally got to looking at the one file change, I discovered that the relevant code had not been removed from the /Sources/Who.php, and I believe that this is because the parse is wrong. The code I removed was
'<a href="http://missallsunday.com" target="_blank" title="Free SMF mods">FAQ mod &copy; Suki</a>',
         SimpleTwitter_who(),

whereas the parse only had the last line - this is, of course, not picked up by the uninstaller as the text is different, so was not removed. Once I removed it my Admin menu links worked perfectly again.

I hope this will help anyone else removing the mod, and also that the parse information gets changed by the author so it will uninstall correctly. Given that quite a few will be removing this for the same reasons I did I would think this is quite important!

delta5

Hello, Do I have to create a new twitter account for my forum, or can I use mine? I installed this mod, and created a twitter app, using my twitter ID. I entered all the keys and codes, but I cant seem to make posts show on my account. Posts from within the app that i do manually do show up perfectly. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong? I am fairly new to twitter.  Thanks

Suki

mod is old and won't work with whatever current API twitter is using. Use a third party rss integration.

Advertisement: