Visible Forums Accessable only by MemberGroup

Started by thebroke, April 20, 2011, 03:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebroke

Using build 2.0 RC5  I've been trying to find a way to allow select forums to be visible for everyone, but only accessible by defined user group(s).

Example: I have a generic sport forum for posting information.  I have a team section with forums for each team, which I want to be visible to everyone.  Though, only people in that team's member group can access the specific forum to read the threads.

I've found mods and source code changes for 1.x up to 2.0 RC2 but nothing past that.

Another option would be to have the forum Password Protected.  Either one is fine by me.

As the coding sits now, configuration of the board I have the option to allow/deny member groups.  If I deny a member group, members are unable to see the team forum.

I'm aware that this has been brought up in the past, but there is no resolution stated in any of the threads.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated, and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

kat

Quote from: thebroke on April 20, 2011, 03:20:29 PM
Using build 2.0 RC5  I've been trying to find a way to allow select forums to be visible for everyone, but only accessible by defined user group(s).

I can't see the difference between something being visible and something being accessible, I'm afraid.

(Maybe I'm dumb) ;)

By "Accessible", do you mean "Able to post in"?

Illori

i think they mean everyone can view, but only certain people can post. maybe using a permission profile for each board may help, so you can set permissions for each group for what can do on each board.

kat

Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to.

As it's a bit amibguous and I wanted to use the word "amibguous" in a post, today, I thought it worth asking. ;)

thebroke

So, by accessible I mean when you click on the forum to go to the thread - Accessing the specific forum.

As of now, the most locked down it can be and still be visible to everyone is allowing one membergroup to have "normal" use permissions, and revoking all permissions for all other groups.  Everyone would still be able to access the forum and see the threads posted, but only the specified users can read the threads, post new, etc.

I would just prefer not allowing anyone except the specified membergroup from even being able to click on, and load the threads posted in the specified forum.

Illori

then why not set it up so that they can not even see the board? remove the board visible in the list when you modify their member group, it is easiest this way and more secure.

kat

So you want people to see the topic title, but not be able to actually read the topic, itself?

Have I got the right?

thebroke

Illori:
Agreed,  it is the easiest way to secure it. 

I want it to be visible because I would like the users to be able to see all the different teams for said sport.  As a portion of the site will be dedicated to team recruitment/discussion.

But each teams discussions need to remain private.

K@:
No, I have been able to set it that way currently.

I want to take that but one step out.  I want them to be able to see the forum, but not click on it to access the threads.  I want the discussions occurring within the forum (the threads) to remain private for each team.

Arantor

thebroke

I wasn't able to successfully install the View Only Boards mod.  I get an error each time in which the install is unable to find many of the code strings to update.

Illori

you should ask for support in the support thread for that mod, or look into manually installing that mod. Manual Installation of Mods

Advertisement: