Improving AdSense relevancy

Started by sensovision, August 06, 2003, 05:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sensovision

Hi folks! I've just look few last ads from AdSense from Google on this site and decide that I need to make few suggestions since current ads are totally unrelated to site's content and wouldn't get good CTR IMHO...
as e.g. now I see ad with something like this:
"Children International
Make a difference in a child's life for $15 a month. Sponsor today!    www.Sponsorship.com
Sponsorship News and Analysis For Sponsors and Sponsees"
probably you saw them as well... such ads are could be shown in two cases from what I know... when spider is unable to spider the page properly and can't determine theme of your site... or in our case I think it's that tables not spidered in correct order and spider doesn't get text from the topics but spider this text on the left this one " HOW TO CONTACT US
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
HOW TO FIND HELP "
doesn't ad from Google related to it? as I think that it does...
So I would definitely recomment to move them somwhere to bottom or make them appear only on the main page. Also I've spot that AdSense doesn't work good for dynamic pages as it can't detemine what text appear on which page... that was the reason why I didn't place them on my forum...  If you really interested in getting good content with AdSense I recomment to use mod_rewrite mod to cheat spider and let make it possible for it to determine content for each particular post... I've saw such trick on http://www.search-guild.com and it's working ok IMHO...
Also if you not sure if AdSense could be good targeted I you can check e.g. some categories on my directory e.g. check this link http://www.pharos-search.com/Sports/ and check some other categories, you'll see that ads generally are related to content of page, and only sometimes when Adsense couldn't clearly determine what the page about or when it has no ads related to page...
hope it would be some of help...

Gobalopper

Well the site is also brand new and probably hasn't been spidered by Google yet.

Joseph

Quote from: Gobalopper on August 06, 2003, 05:30:19 PM
Well the site is also brand new and probably hasn't been spidered by Google yet.
I agree.

I know that ad sense *will* spider the site properly as we noticed that google has already spiders some of the threads here.

Also the adsense ads have only been on for the last couple days.
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite
Co-Founder TribeHR, Lewis Media, SMF

Jeff Lewis

When you go into fairly new threads they will always have a charity since that thread hasn't been spidered yet :)
Co-Founder of SMF

Joshua Dickerson

most of the ads are for ads for yahoo because google looks to see what you have first, what is biggest and bold (most visible to the user):

'What kind of sponsorship interests you?
banner advertisement
donations and sponsorship'

and it checks what the most used words are that it can use
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

sensovision

I would argue with you ;) don't sure like now guys but Google spiders(media one which collect info for AdSense) at least when I start to work with their banners... so it start to crawl me after several hours after I put ad on some page... so it's actually crawl from what Iknow pages where banners is appear and not others...
also we could recieve various ads since I'm in Ukraine and have different IP than you... and maybe people who using AdWords decide not to show ads to my country so it could be this... if so sorry for my paranoia :P but I'm seriously see only charity ads everywhere.. ;D and nothing but charity at least yet when in the meantime on YaBB SE I see mostly hosting offers...

Joseph

I know when you first put it on the site you signed up under it shows relevant things fairly soon - but from experience, when you start putting it on a second and third site, it lags.  But you bring up a god point and we should watch it...
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite
Co-Founder TribeHR, Lewis Media, SMF

sensovision

yeah Joseph that could be an explanation since myself I've rotating ads only on one site so can't be sure how it's work if put it on many sites and how long it would take to display relevant ads in this case...
anyway maybe this info would help someone else... as I believe that if you decide to run such ads it would be good idea to remove all text unrelated to your site and keep it as possible clean of it.
Also if it's forum moderators should keep an eye on posts closely as WebmasterForum has one version under which AdSense didn't pay them because someone post some profanity and rasist topics, and they was picked by spiders before mods take care of them.

Advertisement: