News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF 2.0 Update Part Last

Started by [SiNaN], May 05, 2011, 07:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorMalboro

Quote from: Dr. Deejay on June 08, 2011, 03:16:30 PMEhm... Norv already posted the announcement. :D
You should seriously use a better drop picker :P

Fustrate

It would be best to use something like Firebug to edit the source.
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

eric1234

Okay, thanks for answering me >.< Phew, luckily all those mods can still be use. :) OMG, When will the 2.0 release... it was like a drug to me and now i am without the drug... :(

TurtleKicker

Quote from: akabuguys on June 08, 2011, 04:41:01 PM
But really, I don't understand why some people get so tied up about this release. It really isn't that much different from RC5 as far as I know.

1) It puts one on a supported release track that will receive incremental update packages going forward, unlike requiring full reinstalls of all files, mods and manual edits (like betas and RCs, including RC5 require).

2) It will bring a lot of mod and theme authors out of hibernation who are waiting for a stable actual release and who haven't wanted to waste time trying to develop for an unstable, unfinished target.

live627

eric1234

oh ya, if the mods author has updated their mods to the latest version of SMF, while i am still using the old version mods *installed by emulate the version* , then how can i update my mods to the latest version?

b4pjoe

Quote from: eric1234 on June 09, 2011, 01:21:00 AM
oh ya, if the mods author has updated their mods to the latest version of SMF, while i am still using the old version mods *installed by emulate the version* , then how can i update my mods to the latest version?

Uninstall the old one and install the new one.

eric1234

Will it affect the function of the forum? Or cause some error or something??

JBlaze

Upgrading to 2.0 Gold can cause side effects such as loss of forum, sever amnesia, explosion of data center, systematic slaying of your members, and slight possibility of death. Please use with caution.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

live627

You forgot the obvious: a total computer meltdown and a house fire. The food you eat may even be poisoned! Oh, this is such a phun post to write! LMAO!

青山 素子

Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Fustrate

Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

twig/al

This waiting is just a big conspiracy to see how much it takes to drive everyone nuts!!!! :o :) ;) :D ;D

Staind

Quote from: JBlaze on June 09, 2011, 01:37:21 AM
Upgrading to 2.0 Gold can cause side effects such as loss of forum, sever amnesia, explosion of data center, systematic slaying of your members, and slight possibility of death. Please use with caution.
Like +1
24 hrs a day...24 bottles in a crate what a coincidence???

Joker™

Quote from: Fustrate on June 09, 2011, 02:42:49 AM
And Justin Bieber. I don't know which is worse.
For sure Justin Bieber. Any doubts?
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

b4pjoe

Quote from: eric1234 on June 09, 2011, 01:33:14 AM
Will it affect the function of the forum? Or cause some error or something??

Well, when you uninstall the old one it tests the files before it does the uninstall and if it doesn't find any problems it should uninstall okay. Same for installing the new one. Of course things can always go south. Backup everything before you try it which you should always do anytime you make a change.

Kindred

why would you uninstall mods before a large upgrade?   By doing the large upgrade, you remove all mod code, period, because you are replacing the forum files which had been modified.

the only thing you have to worry about is doing the installation of the mod into the new version after upgrade.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antechinus

I tend to ditch everything that's not vanilla before doing upgrades. Gives the upgrade script less to get confused over (wont try to re-install out of date mods, or fix old languages files and themes, etc). It's overkill, but it's easy and always gives a fast and clean result. YMMV.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I usually try to uninstall all mods and remove all left over files before upgrading too, it's not necessary - but if nothing else, it makes it easy to follow what files are on your server for a reason, and what is simply left over that is no longer neeeded ;)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

lol... I still have files from YaBB on one server.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: