News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Simple Colorizer

Started by Diego Andrés, June 26, 2011, 10:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMiFFER

I got a bug - in fact I can reproduce it.

I can provide you the text that I tried to post.
If you are interested, see: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=549710
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Steve

Odd that I've been using this mod for years now and have never had an issue. Possibly a conflict with another mod? I have 70+ mods on my forum and it still never gives me an error.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Dave J

Quote from: Steve on November 03, 2016, 09:17:20 AM
Odd that I've been using this mod for years now and have never had an issue. Possibly a conflict with another mod? I have 70+ mods on my forum and it still never gives me an error.

Nope me neither
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

lurkalot

Quote from: Steve on November 03, 2016, 09:17:20 AM

And me. Don't think it's ever caused me a problem, and use it on all my sites. 

Deprecated

Works perfectly for me. Did from day one and keeps on ticking. My compliments to the package author!

It is entirely hooks. There is a slight possibility you may have a name conflict. You should clear your error log, then do whatever causes the problem, then look at your error log before it gets polluted by unrelated errors.

If not that then I don't know what. Possibility that you misunderstand what the package does and does not do.

SMiFFER

A conflict could also be the reason.

The most irritating thing on this though is that when I remove SimpleColorizer ONLY then it all works - and when I activate SimpleColorizer ONLY things go weird again.

So the only thing I change is activating/deactivating SimpleColorizer.
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Steve

Quote from: SMiFFER on November 12, 2016, 11:54:08 PMA conflict could also be the reason.

As you say. Removing the mod removes the conflict allowing everything to work and reinstalling recreates the conflict so the problem may not necessarily be with this mod.

Could you list your other mods so we can see if there is indeed a conflict?
DO NOT pm me for support!

SMiFFER

Quote from: Steve on November 13, 2016, 12:51:19 PM

Of course. And I already did in Share MOD-lists (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=549338.0)
My post there is: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=549338.msg3897433#msg3897433

Sidenote:
Hardly anybody would search for a thread with that subject in "chat" (rather in Modifications).

Deprecated

Quote from: Steve on November 13, 2016, 12:51:19 PM
Quote from: SMiFFER on November 12, 2016, 11:54:08 PMA conflict could also be the reason.

As you say. Removing the mod removes the conflict allowing everything to work and reinstalling recreates the conflict so the problem may not necessarily be with this mod.

This is almost a textbook example of mod package conflict. Much harder when using hooks but obviously nothing is perfect.

My advice is to uninstall all mods then reinstall one at a time until you find the conflict.

Also, my advice has always been to have two forums: your production forum and a cloned test forum. Use SQL backups to keep them in sync and always install the same mods in the same order.

Or even more than one test forum. When I was into heavy mod package writing I often had several test forums...

If you don't have a test forum I suggest you clone your production forum and fix it until it works, then experiment there. I suggest if your forum is example.com then make a test.example.com or even a test1.example.com, test2.example.com, etc. Use the usual tools to get the paths fixed and of course define separate databases.

SMiFFER

Good ideas! Thanks.

And what I wrote was that I did just that - and AT THE POINT WHEN I REINSTALLED SIMPLE COLORIZER the bug came back.

So S.C. is causing the problem. The problem is NOT THERE before installing S.C.

Dave J

Quote from: SMiFFER on November 20, 2016, 12:09:11 PM
Good ideas! Thanks.

And what I wrote was that I did just that - and AT THE POINT WHEN I REINSTALLED SIMPLE COLORIZER the bug came back.

So S.C. is causing the problem. The problem is NOT THERE before installing S.C.

Does the same happen if you fresh start with SMF and then install SC as the first mod? If not then what other mods does it conflict with when you add them individually?
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

GigaWatt

This mod seems to be interfering with the Slash through Banned Usernames mod.

Is there any way to fix this?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

GigaWatt

Just an update on the problem... I uninstalled SimpleColorizer.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

phoenixphyre

Any plans to update this for 2.1?

Diego Andrés

I believe it installs just fine on 2.1, and working as it should but I haven't tested it.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

GigaWatt

Quote from: GigaWatt on March 27, 2018, 09:46:13 PM
This mod seems to be interfering with the Slash through Banned Usernames mod.

Is there any way to fix this?

I kinda gave up on this, but is there a way to fix this?

Suki

You could merge both mods, use this one as a base, modify the function where the color is added, add a check to see if the user is banned and apply the slash. This way you don't actually need the slash mod anymore.

Edit, I knew I did something similar with this mod already: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=439878.msg3621157#msg3621157
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

phoenixphyre

When I tried to install on 2.1, it seemed to crash everything. I couldn't load the index or any of the boards.

Diego Andrés

I installed fine, no errors in the log either.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

GigaWatt

Quote from: Suki on July 19, 2019, 10:26:55 AM
You could merge both mods, use this one as a base, modify the function where the color is added, add a check to see if the user is banned and apply the slash. This way you don't actually need the slash mod anymore.

Edit, I knew I did something similar with this mod already: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=439878.msg3621157#msg3621157

Hmmm... this is actually a good idea :). Though I think this one uses hooks and the other one uses patches, but still, it's doable :).

Thanks for the idea :).

Advertisement: