News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Mail always in junk

Started by matedgo, July 05, 2011, 11:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matedgo

how to make mail after registration dont go in junk ?, i tested it on hotmail and gmail, they always finish in junk ? does it have something with control panel, have kloxo

MC73

It has nothing to do with the CP - It has everything to do with the Security within peoples personal email options. aka spam options
Over 1100 Online Flash Games 

matedgo

Yes but when i register on other smf forum, it doesnt goes in junk, but when i send email from email account of site, it doesnt go in junk, how to make it sends from email account if possible

AD/vh

Ooh, something I actually know enough about to offer advice on!   ;D

This may have something to do with how your webserver is sending out mail.  If the server user sending the mail is not considered "authorized" to do so, the webserver will often add headers amounting to, "Hey, recipient! Don't trust this guy!" and so the incoming mail server will classify it as spam automatically.

For example: On bluehost, if I send out email using a "From" address that has not been set up as an email account for that domain, it changes the outbound email address to something funky like "root@box234" which causes pretty much every recipient to filter the message to spam.

So if I were you, I would first make sure that your forum is sending email  with a "From" address that is an address you have set up on your webhost, NOT a forwarding address but a full account, for the same domain as the forum.  See if that helps.

Now, this is far from the ONLY reason why a forum-sent message might get filtered as spam...  it's a complex subject, and some of the reasons are doubtless out of your control.  I can tell you that I've worked for some fairly major companies who have had the same problem of legitimate emails being filtered as spam by major providers - and THEY couldn't resolve the issues with Hotmail and AOL et al., so there's no way you and I and that other guy over there are gonna be able to do it.  :)

That's why the only real solution is to advise people when they register to check their bulk mail folders for the confirmation and add your forum's email address as a "trusted sender" or whatnot.  But do check with your webhost to see about their requirements for sending mail from your webserver.  If you happen to be on Bluehost, drop me a PM and I can help you more specifically.  :)

Advertisement: