How to disable keyboard shortcuts when writing a message

Started by waste2, August 19, 2011, 07:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waste2

Hello. I got an issue with keyboard shortcuts when writing a message (shortcuts: hit shift+alt+s to submit/post or shift+alt+p to preview). Some of my users who use Mac can't use polish national character "ś" because browser recognizes it as [shift+alt+s] and send the message. Is there any way to disable it, or change maybe?

kat

I could be wrong, here. But, I don't think SMF, itself, creates those shortcuts.

I believe the OS, itself, creates them.

So, you'd need to figure-out how disable them from the OS, not SMF.

As I said, though, I could be wrong... ;)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa460734.aspx

Illori

"shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview" is shown below the full post window these are smf shortcuts not browser. you would need to search the code for that and remove it, i think it may be in the js files.

looks to be in several source files [search for shortcuts] and in editor.js

waste2

Answer to K@:
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Windows or MacOS can't make your browser to send a form via POST request just by itself. Besides, here's lines from SMF language files:

$txt['shortcuts'] = 'shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview';
$txt['shortcuts_firefox'] = 'shortcuts: hit shift+alt+s to submit/post or shift+alt+p to preview';

Ofc, that proves nothing, but still I am quite sure it is SMF functionality.

Illori

it is according to my post above if you read it at all.

waste2

No Illori, it's not for you. Your post showed up when I was writing my message. I will check JS files, but first I wanted to know is there any build-in option to disable this shortcuts.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

waste2

OK, so I guess there is no option to disable it, only to edit code. To be honest this shortcuts are useless anyway, no one uses it on my forum.
How can I make suggestion for the next version, to provide an option in user profile to disable this?

Illori

Dwev

In case someone else is looking for the solution to this problem: to get rid of this shortcuts text you'll have to remove the phrase "shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview" from the files "index.english.php" and "Post.english.php".

Both of these files can be found in Themes > default > languages.

Might save someone else the time I spent looking for it...   ;)

Kindred

That may remove the text, but it does not remove the shortcut code itself
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

As the original post has been asked and answered, marking solved.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: