[3.0] My Thoughts on Features for SMF 2.1

Started by Matthew K., September 20, 2011, 06:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARG01

I agree with many of the OP's suggestions but would definitely like to see the old gif's finally put to rest and replaced with png's.
Although I have went through rc2, 3, 4 and 5 and replaced all images and altered all files to make my SMF sites and themes 100% png, it does take time to accomplish so I finally gave up on doing so for 2.0 and 2.0.1.
But all png images does make for a much cleaner look when it comes to theme alterations. And, since SFM does not contain any real large images (other than main_block.png) but mostly small images/icons, an all png SMF should not make much of a difference as far as load times. At least not in the experiences that I have had with an all png SMF install.

;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Sheda

QuoteFile Based - Database Modifying - Menu:
There were huge benefits with the move of the menu from template files in 1.1, to Source side in 2.0, however this still could be much more customizable for forum admins who do not know any coding, and even for those who do, much more simple and quick.

The solution is a file-based, and database driven modifying for the menu, with a very customizable and easy to use interface in the admin panel. (Menu Editor Lite + some features of full)
You know how i found this thread? By searching for "menu", because i have searched all of my forum files for over an hour and can't for the hell of it find the place where the buttons are managed. (Wanted to add a button of my own and make a few changes...)
So, though i don't know what exactly he has in mind, i really agree with the thread-author on this one!

MLM

Love this thread. Agree with all especially those gif icons. LOSE IE6 support! Support only back to IE8

My Themes:

My Mods:

Unsolved Threads:
  • None atm...

Antechinus

We had already decided on that anyway. :)

MLM

My Themes:

My Mods:

Unsolved Threads:
  • None atm...

SilverKnight

I agree with most of the suggestions but the smf staff are quite lazy these days with new features.

Matthew K.

NanoSector

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on April 03, 2012, 10:38:25 AM
Maybe we should split this topic...it's gone off topic for a while.
We were blabbing about the menu system's compatibility with smartphones, that seems pretty next-SMF to me.

But, about removing the other DB systems at installation, what if users want to switch in the meantime? Dunno if anyone wants, but really.
Also - What about upgrading? Does the Upgrade script again remove the obsolete files?

I also think the blacklist feature should be posted as official mod. Not all users want/use that functionality.

And the Spell Check feature... I think that you can remove it. As you said, most modern browsers include spell checking right out-of-the-box anyway (excluding IE). Maybe release it as an addon for these that still want it?

Just my two cents.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Matthew K.

Sure, it is. But it's not the goal of this topic to discuss Android and iOS issues with SMF right now :P

garry383

I've spent 20 minutes reading this topic salivating at the prospect of some of these ideas for my smf forum.
Laws aren't meant to be broken, any bent, squashed and shanghai'd.

Advertisement: