What are some good anti-spam questions?

Started by KensonPlays, October 20, 2011, 11:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nend

I haven't used that system in a while.

On one of my old sites 2-si.net I believe, which isn't a available anymore, I modified the question system where it would take BBC, support multiple answers via commas with PHP's explode and made it case insensitive. From there I added pictures and such and asked questions about them.

Like what is this person doing?
What animal is in the picture?

I don't know if the question system supports BBC now, I know it didn't in the past releases.

Jade Elizabeth

Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

chovy

What about acronyms?

Like "What is the abbreviation for Central Intelligence Agency?" (answer: cia)

Jade Elizabeth

I wouldn't do it, it wouldnt be easy. I would have to think about it.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

chovy

That's kind of the point. You have to use your brain, but the answer is easy.

I just added 10 of them of the most common acronyms i could find.

Arantor

And it's not even that hard for bots either, believe it or not.

Hint: search for your question in Google, take a look at the results you get. Bots are now actively doing this.

nend

Even better grab your phone and if you have one of those apps you can ask a question to, then ask it the question and see if it returns results. These apps search the web and format the answer and speak it to you. Chances are if the app can get the information then the bot can too.

There were also a few open source code that did this but wasn't complete, so the chances are that bots are using it is great I would think.

chovy

Well, it's not bullet proof, but it'll stop gsa and captcha solving, which will be 90% of it.

ApplianceJunk

What appliance is usually found next to the washing machine? Dryer

What room would you normally find the refrigerator in? Kitchen

What room would you normal find the dishwasher in? Kitchen

Arantor

QuoteWhat appliance is usually found next to the washing machine?

Not in England, it isn't ;) Most people don't have drying machines and if they do, invariably it's not next to the washing machine.

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: Arantor on July 29, 2012, 08:21:16 AM
QuoteWhat appliance is usually found next to the washing machine?

Not in England, it isn't ;) Most people don't have drying machines and if they do, invariably it's not next to the washing machine.

Interesting, good to know.

Went with...

In what part of a house can you normally find a refrigerator? Answer is one word:

kitchen

I know someone is gong to try using "one word" as the answer, but I added that bit so people would not try, "The kitchen" or "In the kitchen".

Do people in England keep their refrigerators in the kitchen?

Arantor

Fridges, generally, yes are in the kitchen. Dishwashers - if people have them - also generally yes in the kitchen.

ApplianceJunk

Cool, I changed the wording a bit. :)

In what part of a house can you generally find a refrigerator? Answer is one word:

I searched the question in Google and did not see the answer on the first page of the search results.

How well do you think the question will work for our site?

Arantor

I think it'll work reasonably well, assuming:
1) you have a predominantly English/American userbase
2) people can spell kitchen

ApplianceJunk

Most of our users are from the United States and Canada.
Spelling is not my strong point, so if I can spell kitchen... ;)

Maybe after they first try spelling it as kitchin they will try again. :)

Jade Elizabeth

Our dryer is in the kitchen....also, my fridge is in my bedroom....well the lounge room section of my bedroom ha ha.

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on July 29, 2012, 09:22:33 PM
Our dryer is in the kitchen....also, my fridge is in my bedroom....well the lounge room section of my bedroom ha ha.

I bet your still smart enough to answer it correctly. :)

Jade Elizabeth

Aww that's so cute you have faith in me!

Also I just realised YOU'RE AN APPLIANCE GUY!! My bar fridge makes everything go off :'(. Milk doesn't last half a day...no matter where I put it and it's long life milk!! I don't think it's the seal but is there a way to test it? I Googled for HOURS a while back and found nothing except that I might as well buy a new fridge because it will cost around the same to get someone out...and no one does free quotes anymore. What. The. Hell.

ApplianceJunk

I'm not really a appliance guy i just play one online. ;)

Jade Elizabeth

Advertisement: