Advertisement:

Author Topic: Beginner Questions ... Definitions, Adding members, permissions  (Read 1376 times)

Offline sherrera

• Semi-Newbie
Beginner Questions ... Definitions, Adding members, permissions
« on: November 17, 2012, 11:29:31 PM »
OK - I'm assuming that since I just installed the software and am getting the forum going ... that I'm still in the Installation Help area. :-)

1. What is the difference between a Category and a Board? Are Boards just subsections within a Category?
2. I see that I'm able to add members one at a time. Is there a way to do a batch add? We are a small group (less than 200), but I don't want to rely on membership to add their own accounts. I'm not looking forward to doing it one at a time!
3. I'm very confused with all the definitions and what their roles are, and so many options! Basically, I have 3 Categories. I want all members to access and contribute to all the Categories/Boards. I have one Category with its Board that I only want a group of about 10-15 to be able to access. How do you lock down that one Category and its Board so that just that one group of people can access it?
4. I do not want anyone to be able to create their own account. This is a closed group and I don't want any lookie-loos to see, register or participate.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Offline sherrera

• Semi-Newbie
Re: Beginner Questions ... Definitions, Adding members, permissions
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 12:48:11 AM »
I found the area to disable registration.

So ... I'm down to needing to know if I can do batch registrations!

Thank you!

Offline Colin

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Hero
  • SMF Developer
    • colinschoen on GitHub
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 03:32:21 AM »
There might be an easier way to do this. What format is your current member database in?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Offline sherrera

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 12:50:16 PM »
Right now, it's in a Filemaker database. I can export it in any format I'd need.

Offline Colin

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Hero
  • SMF Developer
    • colinschoen on GitHub
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 01:07:53 PM »
There are a few topics around that have floated around about CSV member imports such as http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=490196.0 http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=416958.0 (1.X). I personally don't have any experience with that though.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin