[WIP] WorkDesk3

Started by bloc, January 21, 2012, 02:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloc

WorkDesk3 is the evolvement of my older theme WorkDesk2 - but with a more neutral color-scheme. It also comes with new or changed features, such as:

- able to switch between 3 iconsets for "new posts" on forum index.
- HTML content in several places
- RSS icons on boardindex
- Avatars on boardindex and messageindex pages
- Custom menu editor saving the entries globally across Blocweb themes
- Recent topics instead of recent posts on boardindex
- Able to show selected boards as "blog boards" or "gallery boards"
- PSD source files available

Demo:
http://www.blocweb.net/demos/index.php?demo=workdesk3

Comments are welcome.

The Craw

How did you manage a menu editor without the use of source files? Or is there a mod that goes along with your themes?

Matthew K.

I do believe that Bloc has almost a framework modification for his themes.

bloc

Well, almost now lol..but its really easy: an extra page thats called through SMF "catch action" feature is included with the theme, which you can run without any source file edits(its also linked to automatically in the admin menu). This page then saves the positions of existing menu items + saves the data for any new ones. Then the theme check these against what SMF serves it, and you got custom menus. As its saved with theme_id=1, it will work across themes...well,at least those themes that support those settings.

No modding, and no interfering with other mods/features customizations of the menu data. As far as SMF knows, its business as usual. :)

Below is a screenshot of the special page where you edit the menus(s).

Matthew K.

Can I make the assumption that you worked that into 2.0 theming when you developed Curve so you could utilize it for such things? ;)

bloc

No, no, I can't take the credit for that lmao..the "catch action" have always been something SMF devs built in early on(and luckily kept so far) so that you could "run" a custom action within a theme just by supplying a template with the same name as the action + setting the $settings['catch_action'] variable with the layers you will use. I only worked a bit further with that and used it over the years to run custom pages within themes from a folder called "pages" in each theme.

As for the menu positioning, its just something I made to be able to stay away from using a mod to jumble the menu items. As it saves only the positions of the menus - not the menus itself - its not taking much space. Its also saved in theme settings table, so its cached along with the rest. Your own custom menu items of course require some space, but again just title,url and position doesn't take too much of that either.

The Craw

I like it. Thanks for the info. ;)

ARG01

No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Diego Andrés

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

ARG01

No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Advertisement: