News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Get to know the team: LiroyvH

Started by LiroyvH, May 13, 2012, 01:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiroyvH

Guess this was a bit overdue for a few years.  :P

Name: Liroy
Quote: Feel free to be free.
Position: Simple Machines President/CEO / Server Team Lead / Marketing

• Do you have pets?
- Yes, a german shepherd. Awesome dog. Getting old though :( As al GS dogs, hip trouble. Nope. :(
  • What is your favorite color?
- I like black things, eg nearly all my clothes are black/dark blue, but that's not really a color... If I had to choose a color; it would be green. Or fractals, if it would be a color :P
  • What kind of music do you like?
- So many many styles... But I prefer Black Metal and other metal styles the most. A small selection of the artists I like: Aquilus, Krake, Borknagar, Windir, Mistur, Queen, Vangelis, Primus, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Burzum, ICS Vortex, Dick Dale, Moonsorrow, I, Bishop of Hexen, Wardruna, Emperor, Global Communication, Primitive Earth, Garden of Shadows, Rage against the machine, Prodigy, Megadeth, Fjorsvartnir, Dargaard, Enslaved, Arcturus, Black Sabbath, Thorns, Vreid, Lamented Souls, Spinal Architect, Dark Fortess, Naglfar, Iron Maiden, Einherjer, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Stormlord, Steve Vai, The Doors, Perturbator, Mozart, Bach, Grieg, Bob Dylan, Pearl Jam, Faithless, Troll, Amon Amarth, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Gorgoroth, Immortal, Dimmu Borgir, Venom, Project HATE MCMXCIX, Thorns, Mozart, Bach, Dream Theater, Arcturus, Joe Satriani, Frank Zappa.
  • What do you do on your free time besides spending time on SMF?
- Relax. Play some games. Hack the software of (Android) phones. Endlessly clicking through wikipedia whilst I was only looking up a single article...
I actually do a lot of different stuff, whatever interests me at the time or whatever I feel like doing :)
  • What are your goals/dreams in life?
- Be happy at all times, that's the goal I hold on to :)
  • What got you involved in SMF?
- It sort of... happened. I was just lurking around YaBB SE and got sucked in to SMF :P I got on the team after a real-life meeting and dinner.
  • Who do you admire? Why?
- Hmm... Don't really have any idols. Lots of people do good things, not going to select one person as admiring him/her.
  • Are you into sports?  If so which ones?
- Soccer, sailing, motor racing. (At least: I know how to do it. I'm not too active in it. I'm more about simply walking these days :P)
  • What is your dream job?
- I'm good where I am; owning an ISP and doing IT consultancy.
  • What was your first screenname?
- Good question. I don't remember. I think I adopted "cypher" from the Matrix for a while but got tired of it very fast.
  • Do you have any piercings?
- No. Nor do I want one.
  • Are you a lefty/righty or ambidextrous?
- Probably ambidextrous. Hovering somewhere in the center, but I probably lean slightly to the right.
  • Do you have any tattoo's?  If not do you wish/plan to get one?
- No, I do not have any tattoo's and do not currently plan on getting one. Maybe sometime in the future, but I doubt it. They're forever.
  • Do you have any siblings?  If so, how many of each?
- 2 Sisters.
  • What is your favorite website?
- This one, and a Dutch site: Tweakers.net.
  • Do you play computer games?  If so, which ones?
- Unreal Tournament '99 with ZARK sniper rifle or StrangeLove rocket mod. Nothing else.
  • Do you play video game consoles?  Which ones?
- Yes, I own a PlayStation 3 with Move. I prefer playing Assassins Creed and Final Fantasy. For mindless nonsense, I got Duke Nukem.
  • Are you married or planing to get married?
    - I am not married but am planning on getting married in the next few years.
    • If so do you have any kids? (Ha, this question implies you can't have kids without marriage! :P Answer is no, though!)
    • How many kids?
  • How many languages do you speak?  If so which ones?
- Dutch & English fluently and I can make myself known in French, German and Latin. For the rest I know some words in a lot of languages, mostly words that should not be repeated here. I also want to learn some Scandinavian languages.
  • Do you drink?
- From time to time I do, yes.
  • Do you smoke?
- Yep.
  • Did you play hookey from class?
- Sometimes :) Ok, maybe a lot. I was bored as hell.
  • Do you have a license?
    - Yes
    • Do you own a car?
    - Yes. Though I do miss my motorcycle. Walking rocks, though!
    • Have you ever been stopped for speeding?
    - Unfortunately, yes. The tickets are sick expensive. Praise radar detection though.
  • Do you obtain a good amount of sleep daily?
- Usually I don't. I am easy to distract and am interested in many things. Anything that draws my attention can keep me going for a long time.
  • How do you sleep?
- On my side or spread over the full size of my bed in really the strangest ways... Until I get punched because I'm starting to hog up all the space. ;)
I prefer having a fan blowing cold air all the time, even in the winter.
  • Have you ever been on an airplane?
- Yes, it's freezing cold on top of an Airbus.
  • Have you ever broken a bone?
- Yes, though not very interesting. A couple of toes and the right side of my right hand thanks to a motor crash.
  • Do you wear jewelry?  If so what jewelry do you wear?
- Nope, though I do consider my headphones far more valuable than jewelry as it provides music on the go ;)
  • How do you dress?
- *shrugs* I just grab a random bit of clothes and don't care much for it unless I have to go somewhere special. I mostly dress in jeans with a band shirt.
  • How many keys are on your keyring?
- 10, 13 if you also count access keycards.
  • What time do you go to bed?  What time do you wake up?
- That is different each and every day. I usually don't go to sleep until 4AM and don't wake up before 12.30PM.
  • What's the freakiest thing you have done?
- I actually have to pick what I think is the freakiest thing I done? I'll skip this one ;)
  • Do you live alone?
- Nope, living together.
  • How many hours a day do you spend in the computer?
- Far too much. I suspect around 10 to 12 hours at minimum.
  • How many hours a day do you spend in SMF?
- Like wayyyy too much. :)
  • What is your favorite beverage - coffee, tea, soda, beer, other?
- Coca Cola, which is the only real coke. Next to that: Tea, Fanta, Beer (Jupiler, Hertog Jan, Amstel, Duvel), Bacardi & Coke, Whiskey (real ones, not bourbon), Red Vodka + Red Bull. And not to miss this one: Water!
  • What do you hate?
- I don't have a particular hate for anything. But I dislike people that talk about things they have no clue about and know nothing about, but pretend they do or speak in a way that suggests they do. I also dislike really rude people and hypocrites. And last but not least: I don't like people who want to forbid things for other people while the thing they want to forbid does not harm anyone really or only the person doing it, but they do try to keep the things *they* like themselves legal, no matter if it's worse than the thing they try to make illegal, and come up with nonsense reasons for it... though I guess that comes down to hypocrites again. ;)
  • What do you love?
- Obviously my girlfriend. (Sry for making you puke folks!) Next to that, my dog is cool and i can't miss my phone and ultrabook. I also like Nature much... I enjoy free time, holidays and traveling around :) I particularly like walking outside very well, as long as the weather is nice. Especially in nature rich areas without much to any roads around. I also like walking on the beach, or if the weather allows it: baking there in the sun. Love riding around in hot temperatures. I also like people who help others a lot. Most people don't like doing more than absolutely needed, which is a shame. I also really like relaxing in different kind of ways. :) Next to all this I like it to think of new ideas for server setups, security and configurations. Guess this is becoming more of a hobby list than really answer the question "what do you love" eh? :P Drifting offtopic? No! :)
  • What is your religion?
- Antichrist. Just kidding. I don't really have a religion. Maybe there is something, maybe there is not. I'm fine either way, and don't really care right now. I would describe my religion as "whatever". I do have a profound dislike of many religions.
  • What is your hair color?
- Dark
  • How tall are you?
- Approximately 1m80.
  • How much do you weigh?
- About 55KG I think, slim, with a godly body! About 75KG 80KG (-edit- damnit...) or so.
  • What's the feature on SMF you can't live without?
    • As an administrator?
    - Banning users
    • As an end user?
    - The ability to post
    Guess that concludes it :P

-edit-
    Updated on 22nd of July 2015.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Robert.

Quote from: CoreISP on May 13, 2012, 01:04:43 PMFor the rest I know some words in a lot of languages, mostly words that should not be repeated here.
Lol :P

What is your favorite type of cookies? ;D :P

LiroyvH

IchBin™

QuoteIf so do you have any kids? (Ha, this question implies you can't have kids without marriage!  Answer is no, though!)

Actually, it only implies that we want to know if you have kids only if you're married. :P

Good to know a bit more about you Liroy!
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Dzonny

Wow, great gadgets you have man :)

What do you think is the actual color of a zebra? :P
Have you ever been high? :D

ApplianceJunk

Cool, I like reading about the team members.

Have you had any official training or schooling related to computers or have you learned everything on your own?

ApplianceJunk

Acans

QuoteAssassins Creed and Final Fantasy

Win.

QuoteApple fanboys who are not open to other platforms. IMHO, Apple products are overrated, overpriced and far too limited. While they do work perfectly: that's about all they do, the restrictions from factory are sickening. The hardware used is by far not worth the money either.

I work as a Apple Technician, and there's nothing more I hate when an Apple Fanboy questions me about having my own built Windows PC instead of a Mac. (Apparently haivng an MBP issued from work that I can take anywhere doesn't count.)
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Burridge

QuoteFinal Fantasy
Win, just win.

LiroyvH

Quote from: IchBin™ on May 15, 2012, 02:50:35 PM
Actually, it only implies that we want to know if you have kids only if you're married.

Good to know a bit more about you Liroy!

Touché :P
Well played sir, well played indeed!

NP :)

Quote from: Dzonny on May 15, 2012, 03:10:13 PM
Wow, great gadgets you have man :)

What do you think is the actual color of a zebra? :P
Have you ever been high? :D

Thanks, I just expanded it with a HTC One X.
Care to share some of your gadgets? I'm still interested in what people use :D

The actual color of a zebra is a combination of all the My Little Pony colors, making it ultraviolet and thus appear as white. So it's not truly white though, if you look at a zebra through a prism you'll see it's true colors! The black stripes however are caused by the shadow it casts on itself thanks to a curse brought upon themselves by stealing the kidneys of Charlie the Unicorn. Hence it appears as white with black stripes. Don't be fooled though! ;)

Yes, I have been. :)

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on May 15, 2012, 03:36:28 PM
Have you had any official training or schooling related to computers or have you learned everything on your own?

Wonder if a Dutch Oreo taste the same as a American Oreo?

Not really, just took some certification courses to be able to do a exam on it and get certified. I am however doing a partial study at university to enhance knowledge of Windows based systems as my expertise is currently quite limited to Linux based architectures and to Cisco IOS in networking. Don't like the uni much though thanks to insane procedures and demands you have to go through if you want to get something fixed up there if something is wrong... Sloppy procedures.

I wouldn't know, but feel free to send some over :P That or i'll try when I visit California.

Quote from: K@ on May 15, 2012, 04:46:08 PM
Shame...

Can't please everyone :D

Win, just win.

What edition do you play currently?
I started playing FF7 again, when that's finished once more I will skip to FF10 and see which editions I want to play again afterwards. Last time I played FF7 was years and years ago, it's quite fun to play again. Just... the graphics :X Kills me :P

- Liroy

ApplianceJunk

QuoteCare to share some of your gadgets? I'm still interested in what people use

I use a macbook, are you still interested? lol... ;)

LiroyvH

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on May 22, 2012, 02:50:11 PM

Yes sir!
I don't hate Apple users, I hate the close minded fanboys that think "Apple is good because it's Apple and anything else than Apple can't be any good" :P

ApplianceJunk

QuoteI hate the close minded fanboys that think "Apple is good because it's Apple and anything else than Apple can't be any good"

That's not me. :)

I do like my macbook, but I know their is a lot of other good stuff out there too.

Joker™

QuoteCare to share some of your gadgets? I'm still interested in what people use

* Joker™ still using this

Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Joshua Dickerson

Quote from: CoreISP on May 22, 2012, 11:51:59 PM
Quote from: ApplianceJunk on May 22, 2012, 02:50:11 PM

Yes sir!
I don't hate Apple users, I hate the close minded fanboys that think "Apple is good because it's Apple and anything else than Apple can't be any good" :P
Exactly how I feel. Macs are pretty and they have decent hardware but they are also ridiculously overpriced and on par with the rest of the world.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

LiroyvH

That's not me. :)

I do like my macbook, but I know their is a lot of other good stuff out there too.

Good to hear :D
Of course! If you didn't like it you wouldn't purchase it I presume :P

* Joker™ still using this

[image]

Ha, that actually has a txt function doesn't it? :P
That reminds me of how the phone market went. First phones were just... big. Then everything got smaller and smaller and anyone that didn't have the smallest phone around was laughed at for having a huge phone. Now we got the bloody Galaxy Note that doesn't even fit in your pocket :P Oh the irony.
Of course you can do far more with the new phones, but it's still stupid ;)

Exactly how I feel. Macs are pretty and they have decent hardware but they are also ridiculously overpriced and on par with the rest of the world.

Amen! :)
For example, I had the choice last month between a ultrabook or a macbook. The ultrabook had far better specs and costed less money. Easy choice :P I never really understood when people see that when comparing it: they still pick the macbook. It's not like Apple's warranty is so awesome or anything and both are equally thin and pretty. (At least... Warranty is not good at all here in Europe with Apple... major complaints going on, they don't stick to the rules at all.)
Although, I must confess... If I get a choice between, for example, a SuperMicro server or a HP server, and the SuperMicro server has slightly better hardware and costs less; i'd still go for the HP. But with HP I know I get proper warranty and support. If that were the case with Apple; I might understand the choice. I just don't see it and thus really can't understand why the choice for the more expensive, and less powerful, mac is made.

* CoreISP shrugs
Each to his own though :) It's probably something I can't understand because I don't like the products much myself and don't consider them special at all. Nor better than the rest, at all. (Depending on who you compare it with though... Agreed there. Apple vs Samsung? I pick Samsung. Apple vs HP? I pick HP. Apple vs Asus? I pick Asus. Apple vs Acer? I'd pick Apple :P)

- Liroy

Arantor

Well, I picked up a MacBook Pro recently, some of my colleagues figured I was crazy but I'm sure I made the right choice.

I mean, I do development that involves iOS sometimes, so that pretty much immediately demands Mac OS X (certainly the stuff I do, I don't have a magic convenient compiler outside of Xcode) but while that's pretty compelling, it wasn't the only reason. I've used a lot of computers and I've found that even now, hibernate/quick suspend doesn't always behave properly due to varieties of hiccups between motherboard and OS drivers - but I'm happy to report I haven't had that problem on my MBP, something a number of my immediate supported users (i.e. family) can't claim about their variously-branded machines (desktop and laptop)

Ultimately, for the amount of money I paid, I feel I got my money's worth, even if that was a rather high price. I get a 17" laptop with good graphics support (Radeon 6850) and I actually find I know where I stand with its components vs other laptops I've had to support over the years, but that's me. (I'm also fairly sure it's not placebo effect either)

End of the day you have the choice to buy whatever brand suits your needs, but of all the machines I've bought and worked on over the years, this MBP is the one I've been happiest with. And given what I do in terms of tinkering, I think it's fair to say I'm not exactly the sheep type, as I'm more than prepared to dig around under the hood. It's just nice having a machine that behaves without my having to browbeat it into submission at times :)

Advertisement: