use wap2 mode as a theme for autodetect mode

Started by vinzbomb, June 08, 2012, 07:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinzbomb

HI, i wonder if its possible, but a need the default wap2 to install as a theme, cause i have mobile phones detect mod, but there is only one theme based on curve and its ugly, i just want the wap2 become a theme so when mobile phones are detect they will go directly to wap2 !!!

I s this possible to do ?

Kindred

no... WAP2 is not a theme.... it's a command-line use that is programatically called within the templates.

If you need a mobile theme and don't like the offerings which exist already, then your best bet would be to find a themer who is willing to make one.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

vinzbomb

Quote from: Kindred on June 08, 2012, 07:58:11 AM
no... WAP2 is not a theme.... it's a command-line use that is programatically called within the templates.

If you need a mobile theme and don't like the offerings which exist already, then your best bet would be to find a themer who is willing to make one.

yes i know its not a theme, but how can i transform it in a theme ?

Kindred

through a lot of coding.

in other words, instead of attempting to separate out the WAP stuff - it would be easier to just write a mobile friendly theme from scratch
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

vinzbomb

Quote from: Kindred on June 08, 2012, 08:44:35 AM
through a lot of coding.

in other words, instead of attempting to separate out the WAP stuff - it would be easier to just write a mobile friendly theme from scratch

ok thanks

Arantor

It's probably even more than Kindred thinks to change, because of the sheer number of places that are affected. I discovered all this when it was being removed from our forum... you couldn't actually make it into a theme directly, actually, because not all the code changes are at the theme level, some of them are behavioural changes in the underlying code.

Kindred

yeah, Arantor... :)  That's what I suspected (in addition to knowing that there are "WAP" checks all over multiple files, including source files
Слaва
Украинi

vinzbomb

yeah but its a simple & fast forum when you look at wap mode, so what is difficult to make a theme like this ?

otherwise how could a mod make a detection when mobile connects and go directly in wap mode ?

because if someone connects to site with mobile its very small link a the bottom of the page, you cannot see it !!!!
so it would be cool if there is mod integrated in smf that detects mobile and go directly in wap mode !!!!

Arantor

Because you have to replace dozens of files and lots and lots of code to make it, that's why.

vinzbomb

Quote from: Arantor on June 08, 2012, 09:08:19 AM
Because you have to replace dozens of files and lots and lots of code to make it, that's why.

yes in understand !!!

otherwise how could a mod make a detection when mobile connects and go directly in wap mode ?

because if someone connects to site with mobile its very small link a the bottom of the page, you cannot see it and the forum doesn't load fast !!!!
so it would be cool if there is mod integrated in smf that detects mobile and go directly in wap mode !!!!

Arantor

Trust me when I say it's more trouble than it's worth to go down that road.

vinzbomb

Quote from: Arantor on June 08, 2012, 09:11:41 AM
Trust me when I say it's more trouble than it's worth to go down that road.

i trust you but you didn't read me !!

If there was a detection mode to go directly in wap when mobile connects, it should be a default mod in smf !!!
so there is no need of special theme for mobile !!! and no need to click on wap button

Arantor

You don't trust me, you're missing what I'm saying.

It is more trouble than it is worth to go down the road of auto detecting mobile. We have implemented this in Wedge and we're still trying to iron out problems but it seems that daily we're finding cases where it needs changing. That's not a big deal for us, we're both programmers, but for others that might be a bit more difficult.

Kindred

and why? wap is stupid, these days.

Most people have smart phones -- and the smf themes work just fine on smart phones.

Ok...   well, I suppose a mobile optimised theme would be good (and I think the team was working on one before I left), but WAP is just boring. I haven't used WAP mod since I dumped by old flip phone.
Слaва
Украинi

vinzbomb

Quote from: Kindred on June 08, 2012, 09:21:02 AM
and why? wap is stupid, these days.

Most people have smart phones -- and the smf themes work just fine on smart phones.

Ok...   well, I suppose a mobile optimised theme would be good (and I think the team was working on one before I left), but WAP is just boring. I haven't used WAP mod since I dumped by old flip phone.

yes you got something, but not everybody got a big screen on his smartphone, like blackberry smartphone is very small, btw i tested it on android too and the forum is to small, users have to zoom in that was a reason why some of them want to use a fast simple theme like the wap only to read topics and reply very fast !!!

vinzbomb

when you guys will have wedge on ?!!!! it looks great and i'm tired of smf only bugs and most of the time no support

Arantor

Quoteyes you got something, but not everybody got a big screen on his smartphone, like blackberry smartphone is very small,

This is the problem with mobile detection. Mobile devices run in all sizes and capabilities, and it's just not possible to reliably get it right, especially given that some people like seeing the full theme on their mobile.

Quotewhen you guys will have wedge on ?!!!! it looks great and i'm tired of smf only bugs and most of the time no support

When it's done. 21 months and counting since we started development and still way too much to do.

Advertisement: